Replace drivers side sunroof drain tube?
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replace drivers side sunroof drain tube?

New Member centerline is just really nice centerline's Avatar
    Thanks

Replace drivers side sunroof drain tube?

Ok, so I have the infamous driver's side leak. (leaks water in floor board) I have did my homework and followed all steps. I cleaned out the drain from top of sunroof. What I came to find out..when I poured water in drain, it leaks where the fuse box is. Now I am thinking somehow the tube is busted, cracked, or most likely what I am thinking..it has came loose from the top drain. Question: How would I go about replacing the drain tube? OR how can I access it to see if indeed it has came loose somewhere or is busted? I have side airbags on the door columns. Does the windshield have to be taken off? Just do not see a way to access it to replace or inspect it. ((it rains here a lot so I need to get it fixed ASAP. And I'm thinking plugging the top drain plug temporarily is a BAD idea.)) ANY help is very appreciated ! Thanks.

((AFTER THOUGHT ! )) Come the think of it, those drains are only for sunroofs. So that probably means that the only way to access it is taking out the sunroof. That would make sense. The drain tube is connected to the drain and the tune would be snaked down the door column. Geeeshhhh. That said, how hard is removing a sunroof? Or is that a factory only type job?
    Last edited by centerline; 02-03-2011 at 12:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

New Member centerline is just really nice centerline's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Replace drivers side sunroof drain tube?

Just a side note: I did more research and found this http://www.louisvillevw.org/forums/s...f-drain-recall . So hopefully all is good. I called local dealership and they looked up my vin # (my Jetta is '02 ) and they said "bring it in : )" so if anyone else is having this leaking trouble, and is in required year listed in link, your in luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to centerline For This Useful Post:

Sandy (01-11-2014)

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Replace drivers side sunroof drain tube?

The recall is NOT for fixing the leak, its JUST to clean and snip the tubes. So don't bother or you will be hit with a diag fee.

Remove the roof grab handle, remove the sun vizor. PUll the seal /strip around the door frame off and away from the headliner and pillar. Remove the pillar. It's a BITCH and the clip can be mucked easily. Best way is to get behind where the airbag log is(dont remove logo) by sliding a pair of small pliers in there and ripping the clip out of the A pillar. Do a search on the right way to do it....need a special tool but a 90Degree pick will work too. Anyway, get all that out and you will see the sunroof drain attach to the sunroof. It is fed inside the pillar and down the door hinge area where it comes out to the rubber grommet. The tube shrinks A LOT and that's why it pulled out. Replace the tube by feeding hte new one in from the headliner.

I'll be honest....You should have a pro do it. It's a bear of a job if you never touched anything complicated on these cars. i've done a lot of them and i'm comfortable doing them. The fiberglass from the headliner makes you itch all day tho...

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

+ Reply to Thread