Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Vordog 
#1 · (Edited)
I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on my problem. I have recently purchased a lovely, low mileage {33,000 miles) 1982 Jetta. Its a 1.1 formel E. The problem is that once the engine is at working temperature, the gears become stubborn and very hard to change up or down. Reverse is also very tricky to engage. I checked the gear oil level and poured 2 litres in without reaching the brim. So I assume it was virtually without gear oil. This has made a slight improvement, but as before the gears are hard to engage!! Before I got this car it had been stood idle for nearly 3 years.
Hope someone out there can help as this is an otherwise superb and admired car.
From; Vordog

#6 · (Edited)
Yes, GL-5 is more of a differential fluid, it acts against yellow metals...and guess what?

Your syncros (99% sure) are yellow metals. The GL-4 fluid will improve your shifting if theres not another problem with the tranny.

Also id recommend Redlines line of fluids, theyre stuff is top notch.

dbcperformance.com has great prices, id look at the MTL or MT-90.

#8 ·
O.k. Iv'e changed to GL4 spec oil and it is better but still stiff and it is difficult to engage reverse. I spoke to the previous owner and he said he had the clutch replaced by a local garage (3 years ago) and this is when the difficulty with the transmission began and he stopped using it. Does this suggest anything?

#10 ·
Your clutch cable needs to be adjusted.

That's the problem but I don't know how to do it on your car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.