VW Rabbit Forum " Headlight Switch Not Turning Headlights On" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headlight Switch Not Turning Headlights On

Junior Member GreasyDiesel is just really nice GreasyDiesel's Avatar
    Thanks

Headlight Switch Not Turning Headlights On

So my headlight switch likes to work sometimes and others like last night it doesn't. The marker lights and tail lights come on but the headlights won't work until I wiggle the headlight switch side to side. Then when I did that the dome light stayed on until more wiggling took place. Then when I got home I had to push/pull the switch a few times for them to shut off.

When I pull my brights lever the headlights go off, so maybe some weird wiring from the PO is screwing it up. I imagine it is the solder joints inside the switch, but is there an aftermarket or maybe another VW's switch that would work better? I am definitely going to relay my headlights in a few days, but I want the switch to work or replace it. Thanks.
    '84 VW Rabbit Diesel/WVO - Greasecar kit, bunch of receipts.

'88 Mazda RX7 Turbo 10th Anniversary Edition - Rtek 2.1 w/550/720cc Injectors, GReddy Profec B Spec II Boost Controller, CorkSport Oil Lines, Racing Beat 2.5" Downpipe & Presilencer, S5 Turbo, Blitz SS BOV, RSR Race Springs, Tokico HP's, Dual Alt Pulley, K&N Filter, 3" TID, H-FMIC, ACT Clutch, Snubber, Koyo Rad, Mazdatrix Short Shifter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Headlight Switch Not Turning Headlights On

I had the same issue with my headlight switch years and years ago.

I ended up bypassing the switch and jumpering the Logic chips legs to bypass that part of the switch.
    I had to use a Sylvania cross reference to find the pinout of the chip, but then my headlights were on the whole time the keyswitch is on, and off when off.

That switch is hard to come by.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

I was thinking that I remember seeing one of these at some store a while back and napa came to mind.
    so look at the link:

Yours should have the pull knob if I remember right.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50074+2074016

It isn't that costly.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Junior Member GreasyDiesel is just really nice GreasyDiesel's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you! I found one on Rockauto.com too.
    '84 VW Rabbit Diesel/WVO - Greasecar kit, bunch of receipts.

'88 Mazda RX7 Turbo 10th Anniversary Edition - Rtek 2.1 w/550/720cc Injectors, GReddy Profec B Spec II Boost Controller, CorkSport Oil Lines, Racing Beat 2.5" Downpipe & Presilencer, S5 Turbo, Blitz SS BOV, RSR Race Springs, Tokico HP's, Dual Alt Pulley, K&N Filter, 3" TID, H-FMIC, ACT Clutch, Snubber, Koyo Rad, Mazdatrix Short Shifter.

Senior Member amesghali has a brilliant future amesghali has a brilliant future amesghali's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey,

I just got done a restoration on a Caddy. I had all sorts of wiring issues and light switch like yours. I removed the switch and used electronic contact cleaner spray on it. I also used the electronic contact cleaner spray every connection and wiring hands I could get my hands on. All my electronic shorts went away.

+ Reply to Thread