It's been done! Automatic to manual swap MKV Rabbit/Jetta
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It's been done! Automatic to manual swap MKV Rabbit/Jetta

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

It's been done! Automatic to manual swap MKV Rabbit/Jetta

Okay. biggreek has loved his 2008 rabbit for every mile of it's 100,000 miles. He loves it to death with the only exception being the transmission. After all who wants a car that practically drives itself? Like most he wanted to actually DRIVE the vehicle rather than have it shifting when IT wanted.

His lucky day came when the transmission started to shift funny and it began to flame out. His options were limited to replacing the transmission with an OEM new unit, attempt to have an outside shop rebuild this complex beast, or put in a low mileage manual gearbox. The choice was obvious! He contacted me about this little project and it didn't take long before we were about to attempt the impossible. Nobody has done this swap before on this particular vehicle and nobody knew where to begin.

I decided to study the parts diagrams and wiring diagrams long before I had the car. Below is a list of items you will need to obtain in order for this swap to take place. I will limit this to a mechanical parts list.
    Upper and lower heater hoses
    Shifter housing box
    Shifter cables
    Shifter cable bracket
    Intermediate mount (goes between transmission and trans mount bolted to frame)
    Axles
    Flywheel
    Clutch/pressure plate
    Clutch release arm/bearing combo
    Clutch pedal
    All needed hardware for assembly (auto transmission hardware will not work for most holes)
    Shim between engine/transmission
    Slave cylinder
    hydraulics between clutch pedal and slave
    Brake pedal assembly for manual transmission

Parts you need to modify to work:
    Knock out the plug in the firewall to fit the clutch pedal
    Snip the tip of the master cylinder reservoir

Control modules that need to be re-coded:
    Gateway- Code out the transmission module, be sure to disconnect the trans module or pull the 20 amp fuse for it.
    Steering column module- code for manual
    Engine (may not be possible, may need manual transmission ECM) Recode from 3 to 1 for auto. If cannot be recoded then have a tuner retune ECM for manual. Or, buy a manual ecm for your year and emissions type.
    Possibly ABS, Depends on ECM

Step one. Remove the center console front half. If you have an armrest you can leave this in as we only need the front done. Unbolt the nuts holding the shifter in place. There should be four nuts. Remove the metal bracket in front of the shifter to expose the other two nuts.

Disconnect the electrical connectors going to the shifter handle once the console has been removed. Remove left footwell trim. Knock out plug where clutch pedal should go indicated by studs in the plenum.

Remove the brake pedal. This can be done by sliding two flat head screwdrivers on the left and right sides of the rod that connects from the brake booster to the pedal. Once you press in the screwdrivers to release the tabs the pedal can be pulled back by another person to release it from the ball. Unbolt the pedal from the plenum and remove. There may be a bolt on the steering column holding an odd limiter bracket to prevent the pedal from coming out. Remove this as the manual cars do not have it. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Install the clutch pedal and install with three nuts onto the studs. Two on bottom, one on top.

Next is to get down and dirty!
    Remove the battery and battery tray. This will expose the transmission top and shifter cables. Remove the shifter cable from the transmission using a flathead driver to pry it off the ball mount. Pry off the C-clip holding the cable to the bracket. This will free up the cable from the transmission.

Raise and support vehicle. Support engine. Remove the catalytic converter from the manifold and disconnect the clamp at the other end. I was able to disconnect one end but you may not get so lucky. Remove the heat shield just above the exhaust. This will expose the shifter box and cable. Because the nuts are already out this should fall out. The box and cable are all attached so set them aside. Now you can install your manual shifter and cables. Start a nut or two inside the car once it's in so it doesn't fall out.

TBC.....
    Last edited by nitroscope8; 01-15-2011 at 10:30 AM.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

fetchface mod
    gofetch06 has a reputation beyond repute gofetch06 has a reputation beyond repute gofetch06 has a reputation beyond repute gofetch06's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: It's been done! Automatic to manual swap MKV Rabbit/Jetta

i wait impatiently.
    Quote Originally Posted by russdawg24 View Post
    Because you're just so damn hot.

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

There won't be any photos......but all I can do is a description.

This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Member penpal is a jewel in the rough penpal's Avatar
    Thanks

GL, do you think you'd need to reprogram the ecu?
    07 BMP 6MT GTI
    09 Shadow Blue Rabbit

Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey guys!, Moose thanks again man, Im glad for a awesome dude, like you, go into a project blind folded and complete it(Well almost.LOL) , and one that has never been done before. And me (with the parental's assistance.lol) let you go ahead with this feat of a project. Now depending on what Chris finds out here in the next day or two, the ecu will MOST likely need to be reprogrammed. I had contacted a bloke named Jeff Atwood, he used to be the software guy for C2, he now has his own company called United Motorsports. I emailed him my issue and his response was, I think I can help (best words to ever come out of anyone). He can re-flash the ECU with manual software and it be a manual ecm. So HOPEFULLY that will work out, we just have to cross our fingers.....
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

Senior Member SpartanRabbit09 is just really nice SpartanRabbit09's Avatar
    Thanks

I have wanted this to happen a week after i got my rabbit!!!!!

Junior Member Federico Tamayo is a jewel in the rough Federico Tamayo's Avatar
    Thanks

dude! please contact me.
    its urgent....!!! i need to talk to you.

Thanks

ok, so a couple of question to keep the thread going... hopefully we can talk on the phone, cause i might have more questions:

1)did you have to get different harnesses? such as a new engine harness?
    2) whats the Upper and lower heater hoses?? where do they plug? here can i get em?
    3) whats the hydraulics between clutch pedal and slave?? the clutch line?
    4) how did you plug the new trans to en ecu? meaning, how does the car now knows when is it on reverse???
    5) i have heard lots of things about connecting the speed sensor to the new tranny???

as stated before on the pm, but for the rest this is my build thread:
    http://thygreyt.jettamkv.com

and this is so far what i have for the tranny swap:

--transmission
    --starter
    --axles
    --shifter cables
    --shifter assembly
    --clutch, flywheel, pressure plate
    --clutch pedal
    --brake pedal
    --transmission mount
    --Clutch master cylinder
    --Clutch slave cylinder
    --Wiring harnesses for a 2.5 manual
    --Transmission fluid
    -- clutch hydraulic line.
    Last edited by Federico Tamayo; 04-12-2011 at 11:23 PM.

So Sofistikated DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Federico Tamayo View Post
    ok, so a couple of question to keep the thread going... hopefully we can talk on the phone, cause i might have more questions:

1)did you have to get different harnesses? such as a new engine harness?
    2) whats the Upper and lower heater hoses?? where do they plug? here can i get em?
    3) whats the hydraulics between clutch pedal and slave?? the clutch line?
    4) how did you plug the new trans to en ecu? meaning, how does the car now knows when is it on reverse???
    5) i have heard lots of things about connecting the speed sensor to the new tranny???

as stated before on the pm, but for the rest this is my build thread:
    http://thygreyt.jettamkv.com

and this is so far what i have for the tranny swap:

--transmission
    --starter
    --axles
    --shifter cables
    --shifter assembly
    --clutch, flywheel, pressure plate
    --clutch pedal
    --brake pedal
    --transmission mount
    --Clutch master cylinder
    --Clutch slave cylinder
    --Wiring harnesses for a 2.5 manual
    --Transmission fluid
    -- clutch hydraulic line.
    You dont need a new master, all you do is snip a nipple on the reservoir.

For the hydraulics from the pedal to the slave is a line that goes from the res to the slave, since you obv didnt have that there before.

I know he didnt need to get a new harness, everythign is controlled from the ecu. As far as i know the reverse lights dont work, unless they rigged something up.

The heater hoses are exactly what they are, for the coolant, you have an auto that requires coolant to cool off the tranny. New hoses take care of the not needing the cooling issue. I just reviewed some etka diagrams, they look like the same pns, but have a model of either auto or manual so it confused me a bit.

Ill let moose chime in and if he doesnt ill let him know the interest on sunday.
    CTS Turbo | GOAPR | .doTuning | INA | IE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    You dont need a new master, all you do is snip a nipple on the reservoir.

For the hydraulics from the pedal to the slave is a line that goes from the res to the slave, since you obv didnt have that there before.

I know he didnt need to get a new harness, everythign is controlled from the ecu. As far as i know the reverse lights dont work, unless they rigged something up.

The heater hoses are exactly what they are, for the coolant, you have an auto that requires coolant to cool off the tranny. New hoses take care of the not needing the cooling issue. I just reviewed some etka diagrams, they look like the same pns, but have a model of either auto or manual so it confused me a bit.

Ill let moose chime in and if he doesnt ill let him know the interest on sunday.
    1)even thou i could snip a nipple, could i still use a new master?
    2) i have the usp clutch line. is that the hydraulics line that i need? if not, could you please point in the right direction?
    3)so.. no reverse light... i dont mind. and i'm assuming that the car then doesnt know which gear is selected, right?
    4)new coolant hoses huh?
    5) please, i would love to talk to him. If you have any ways of contacting him, let me know. i already sent him a PM and i googled "the german nuts new york" with no happy results.

all my parts are in transit, and the swap is happening on the 28th of april. so its kind of urgent.. cause i still need to find out if i need any other parts, and if there are any tricks or issues he found along the way, i'd love to know.

So Sofistikated DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr has a reputation beyond repute DonJuan1Jr's Avatar
    Thanks

Reading the usp description, u have part of the system i believe...

Where does this product install?
    This product replaces the rubber line that is located between the clutch master cylinder hard line and the slave cylinder bleeder connection.

lemme look through etka in a minute.

Thanks

i'm here.

Thanks

ok im an idiot, for some reason i thought u didnt need a master, u do. Ill have a quick pic of how it looks in a second.

Thanks

The hard line u got, i think, goes from the master to the slave, u still need a soft hose from the res on the brake master to the clutch master.

Thanks

now my main issue is with the ECU.

do i have to get a new one or do i can i recode it with vag com and unitronic..?? and how..?

Thanks

As far i know, it depends...i think every ecu can be coded either way, but they were having some kind of issues.

Im thinking the owner (biggreek) was in contact with a tuner to help out. If moose doesnt respond, which i think he will ill ask him in depth on sunday, ill prolly be over at his house.

Thanks

please tell him to send me an email or something.
    i'd love to have everything solved out prior to having tha tranny swapped.

I'm broke
    Thanks

Call you tonight with full details. I have to update this thread too.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Thanks

great! thanks for the calll!!!! :D

insensibly grateful..

New Member koolmikeski is a jewel in the rough koolmikeski's Avatar
    Thanks

Is this thing running now? How'd it turn out?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast