Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  shawng 
#1 ·
Hi!!

First time on site. I am days away from purchasing Tiguan SE. I live in Lake Tahoe and had to retire my limited Jeep cherokee. Will I need snow tires for the Tiguan?? I am getting conflicting answers from the dealers.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to VWOC!

What kind of conflicting info are you getting from the dealer? Do you have the 4-Motion Tiguan or FWD?

To expand on this, if you have FWD and given your location in the mountains, I would get a set of winter wheels and tires. If you have the 4-Motion then you should be ok with all-season tires unless you drive through snow and /or hills on a regular basis (given you're in Tahoe I assume that's a good bet) and need a more aggressive tread pattern to better handle those conditions. In the end you have to go with what you feel comfortable. I have a set of winter wheels and tires on my car even though the roads don't stay snowy long around here, but that's because I also have a set of summer tires I use the rest of the year whose traction is not ideal for winter conditions below 40/45 degrees.

Reactions: Samantha gold
#3 ·
Keep in mind that winter tires also stay pliable in cold weather. below about 44F, all seasons turn to hard plastic so to speak. Having driven on both in the winter over the years. I will never again use all seasons in the winter. From others i heat the 2WD Tiguan with winter tires is great performer and the 4-motion a stellar performer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.