Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
45K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  adrenaline 
#1 ·
Hello,

I own a 2010 Tiguan Treadline with 6 Speed Manual transmission. I purchased the winter tire package (Continental Extreme Winter Contact) with rims at the dealership where I made the purchase. I was told that the TPMS light would remain on after I changed over to the winter rims. The TPMS light did not come on so I returned to the dealership to find out if the monitor was working. After 90 minutes they stated that the standard transmission does not come with the normal TPMS and is linked to the ABS brake system. I listened to this in disbelief, since I was aware that the TPMS worked on the basis of transmitters attached to the wheel rim and has nothing to do with the transmission. I left and contacted VolkwagonCare by phone to verify the dealership statement. There has been no answer after 7 days. The online brochure, standard features and manual state that my vehicle has TPMS without any reference to the transmission or ABS.

I would appreciate any comments on this and verification that the TPMS is independent of the transmission and ABS.

Thanks

#2 ·
Look at the wheels that CAME WITH THE CAR. If the valve stems are silvery and metal, then you have tpms sensors. If they are RUBBER, then you do NOT have tpms sensors. The new Jetta has tpms using the abs system and does not use sensors.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, the wheels that came with the car are in storage at the dealership for the winter. As I stated according to VW my vehicle includes the TPMS as standard equipment. If I purchased in April of 2010 are you saying that like the Jetta my Tiguan has TPMS combined with the ABS, how do I verify this, there is no reference to this in the owners manual.

Thanks

#4 ·
Only sure fire way is to look at the old wheels. I would just leave it alone if it's not broken......

#6 ·
Also, the system we have here that works off the ABS has a reset button in front of the gearshift which the other system doesn't have. Think I've got a pic somewhere...................... yep here it is. Buttons in order left to right are: TPMS reset - Parking sensors on/off - self parking - off-road on/off - ESP on/off

Cheers

#12 ·
There is a reset button in the same location for the 6 Speed Manual Transmission. Since VW Care could not provide an explanation last November after communicating with Downtown Volkswagen who confused me even more that stating perhaps that my model did not come with TPMS. Regardless I drove to another dealership, after a good laugh about what has been said, within 2 minutes they sat in the vehicle with me and explained how it works, so I went from having TPMS via the valves, to not having one to having a better system that required no tire valves. The service center staff a Downtown Volkswagen require more product knowledge.

#7 ·
Thanks for the reply, my Tiguan is equipped with a 6 speed manual transmission. There is no reset button located in the vehicle for the TPMS. I contacted Volkswagon Care after waiting two weeks for an answer, they now state that my TPMS is linked to the ABS braking system, since there is no information in my manual on this ( and no reset switch) I asked them how it works, no answer they will have to get back to me.

#8 ·
Here's a question... If you have the ABS TPMS, will it only tell you when you have a big sudden drop in tire pressure? Or will it let me know if I am only under the recommended settings by a couple PSI?

Will it tell me if I am over as well? Like say when the outside temperature changes from winter to summer?

#10 ·
Mine has the ABS TPMS system and the only time its gone off was on a very cold wet day. When I checked the pressures, one tyre was down about 3 PSI on the others. Evened them all up, reset the TPMS(using the button in my pic above) and all was well. So, as far as I'm concerned the system is excellent and certainly picked a quite small pressure drop over a long period "before" I could feel (or see) any difference in handling etc.

Cheers

#9 ·
It's quite sensitive. It has registered a 4 psi drop on some customer cars. Not sure on cold to hot but I know it registers the drop in pressure.

#14 ·
I have a 2009 Comforline that i just purchased two weeks ago.

I just changed my 17" OEM Wheels and tires with TPMS that you can see on the valve there is a black looking nut, out for my 16" Winters which have a TPMS but no nut on the valve.

My question is how do you reset the TPMS if by the shifter you do not have the "set" button everyone says you do when you have TPMS?

Two Days after removing my OEM wheels I got a Warning light on the dash for low tire pressure.

I want to see if a reset will find the other sensors.

#15 ·
Are the valve stems on the 16" wheels metal or rubber? If they are metal, they have tpms and there really shouldn't be anything you need to do, make sure they are inflated properly. There is no reset process (AFAIK) for TPMS systems that require sensors in the wheels.

If the stems are rubber, they don't have sensors.

#20 ·
ABS based TPMS will throw a light even if the tires are inflated properly. A few things that will cause the light to illuminate are: Tires rotated, tire replaced, emergency maneuver causing excessive abnormal wear to one or more tires, mud stuck in the treads. Reason is the ABS module not only reads RPM of each wheel but it also reads tire vibrational frequency and it knows if a tire was rotated or replaced.

#21 ·
I just went and test drove a 2009 Tiguan in Vancouver BC... a comfortline with optional Nav and Backup package; and it does not have the reset button above the shifter. Even though the inservice date is late in 2009 I guess this is may be an early model with an automatic reset?
Too bad I like buttons that actually do things instead of having blanks everywhere!

Is there a negative to having a system that doesn't have a reset button?

#22 ·
Hello,

I own a 2010 Tiguan Treadline with 6 Speed Manual transmission. I purchased the winter tire package (Continental Extreme Winter Contact) with rims at the dealership where I made the purchase. I was told that the TPMS light would remain on after I changed over to the winter rims. The TPMS light did not come on so I returned to the dealership to find out if the monitor was working. After 90 minutes they stated that the standard transmission does not come with the normal TPMS and is linked to the ABS brake system. I listened to this in disbelief, since I was aware that the TPMS worked on the basis of transmitters attached to the wheel rim and has nothing to do with the transmission. I left and contacted VolkwagonCare by phone to verify the dealership statement. There has been no answer after 7 days. The online brochure, standard features and manual state that my vehicle has TPMS without any reference to the transmission or ABS.

I would appreciate any comments on this and verification that the TPMS is independent of the transmission and ABS.

Thanks

I have a 2014 Tiguan and the manual clearly explains how the TPMS "indirectly" monitors tire pressure using the ABS system. Perhaps that is what you have. Here is a quote from my manual. pg 203

" Your vehicles Tire Pressure Monitoring System ( TPMS ) uses the Antilock Brake System ( ABS ) sensors to indirectly check the tire pressure of all four tires while you are driving. The sensors monitor the tread circumference ( rolling circumference ) and vibration characteristics of the individual tires. TPMS warns if there is a significant loss of pressure in one or more tires while the vehicle is moving."

So from that statement, I would understand that no, the vehicle is not directly reading actual tire pressure from a sensor in the wheel, it is merely monitoring it's behavior and comparing it with the others. ( which one of these is not like the other sort of thing. ) So if all four tires only had 20 psi in them, the system would think that is normal but if you had three tires with 36 psi and one with 20 psi, you will get a warning.

That is how mine works anyway. Whenever I change my tires or change the pressures, I have to reset the onboard tire monitor, telling it they are all at equal pressure. Mine is done via the MFD, not a dedicated button.

Ha..ha...just realized how old this thread was. Oh well!

#23 ·
Read this thread carefully. You have an ABS monitoring system, which is good! No need to have 4 news ($) TPMS on every wheel you install on your Tiguan. This device work well for avoiding to run on a full flat (I had a 7psi drop before and i had a warning). Things you got to do: You must reset the TPMS (Press the rest button till you ear a "ding sound") and do this if you change the air presure in any wheel or change or do any rotation ... It's simple and efficent. The german way! Yaa!

Note: TPMS "on the wheel" are expensive and fragile and some or perhap most of them have a battery in each of them and need maintenance ... I like low maintenance ;-)
The nice side ... some device in the wheel will give you the actual air pressure, is it really a value added?? You drive a car you must do a walk around once in a while in order to visualy inspect and check tire pressure and condition ... Briefly you got a responsibility.

Have a great day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.