Octane Question
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Octane Question

Junior Member Hogboy is a jewel in the rough Hogboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Octane Question

Sorry if this is searchable, but I couldn't find a previous reference.

Our 2010 Tiguan recommends Super gas but the dealer says they use Regular (87) on their personal Tiguans. What are you folks using?

p.s. Here's some interesting stuff about octane recommendations from PetroCan's website.

"Why does my vehicle require a higher octane gasoline than is recommended in my owner's manual?

There are two reasons. First, the engine may be at the upper end of the octane requirement range for the particular model. It may, therefore, knock during periods of heavy engine load. The octane requirement for each engine in vehicles of the same make is different because of variations in manufacturing tolerances. Industry testing has shown that this difference can range between two and five octane numbers. While you will not hear knock, the spark timing will be retarded, resulting in loss of power and performance.

The second reason for using a higher-octane gasoline than recommended is because the equilibrium level of combustion chamber deposits is higher than average resulting in a higher than average octane requirement for the engine. Industry testing shows that the octane requirement increase (over the initial 20-50,000 kilometres) can be as much as nine octane numbers. This means that a vehicle that was originally designed for 82 octane fuel may eventually require 91 octane fuel to perform satisfactorily."

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Fahrvergnugen acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would go with what the manual recommends. I swear sometimes the dealers don't even know the products they sell. In your case you have the 2.0 turbo charged engine so 91 octane should be used.
    - Nic

2006 Uni Black Rabbit

4 door - 5 spd - UM tune - Neuspeed P-flo - Eurojet exhaust - Koni yellow - DG Springs - Fogs - Euro tails - Ronal Goals (summer/autoX) - SSM Magny Cours (winter) - Hatch pop kit - iPod adapter

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Octane Question

You are ABLE to run low octane 87 but you WILL have reduced performance and eventually a check engine light for knock sensors. Use 91 or better yet 93 and you will get the best power and fuel economy.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

ROC'n Rabbits shawng is a name known to all shawng's Avatar
    Thanks

I have read the Petro propaganda too. I don't feel like digging out the crappy manual, but the bottom line is you need to use 91 octane, end of discussion. the car 'will' run on 87, should you accidentally fill it up with 87, but over time, people have experienced check engine lights. As well, if you are expecting full power form your engine with 87, it is not going to happen. the computer will retard timing in order to protect the engined from detonation. And once the engine begins to retard timing, fuel economy will suffer because the engine is not operating at peak efficiency. It is true that on an engine that recommends 87, using 91 is not worth it, but the opposite does not hold true. I always use what the manufacturer recommends, no more. I had a BMW at one time. They recommended 91 too. I tried 87 and the engine would just flame out while driving. It would restart, but would do it over again without warning. kind of like blowing out a candle without notice. I switched back to 91 and the problem never reoccurred.

As i type this i am on hold with Petro Canada. LOL

Member reservoircat is just really nice reservoircat's Avatar
    Thanks

Because the TSi engine is Turbo Stratified injection, you really need high octane fuel for the high compression cylinders. The difference is a couple dollars more per fillup, and thousands of dollars in savings several thousand kilometers later (because you will have a more efficient engine that last longer).

Don't cheap out. Use at least 91 octane gas. I personally use 94 octane.

+ Reply to Thread