Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  briano1234 
#1 ·
In 1982 we bought a new Rabbit sedan, diesel, and kept it for a couple of years. During that time, I seem to recall that the glow plug light would come on all the time, even though I may have just driven the car and it was nice and warm....like say from the house to the post office to go in and mail a letter. Once back in the car, when starting up again, the glow plug lite would activate as before.

Then in 06 we got a Jetta TDI, and it too ... even though engine was just turned off 15-20 seconds ago, the light would come on as usual. Of course, with both cars, once the engines were/are running, it goes off ... as normal.

Now, with my recent 'toy', the 1981 rabbit diesel, when I start it up the light comes on well and fine. But if I let it run and get warmed up, and then shut it off ... then back on 15-20 seconds later, the light does not come on ... and I have to crank more than if when it is on. Yes, it'll start after I press on the pedal a bit, but the fact it's not activated seems a problem.

Plugs are new; less than 50 miles on them so far.

Any suggestions? Am scheduled to take it to a 'more than me' expert in a week or so ... so is it something I should have him look at ... or is it something I might can check, adjust, etc.?

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
In mid year 82 vw introduced the 7 second relay for the glow plugs. The use a "hotter plug" than the older 81 and 82.4 and below.

You can't buy the stay on forever glow plugs any more and only the 7 second one are available.
So if you are using the 7 second plugs, and don't have the 7 second relay in there that could be your issue.

I would look at your grounds, as in replacing them and then making sure that your bus bars between the plugs are clean and tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.