Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
25K views 75 replies 12 participants last post by  Chad Oner 
#1 · (Edited)
Shaving and Popping a Rear VW MK5 Hatch (Electrical)

Ok, I decided to change this post and make it a How to Pop your Hatch via the Key Fob, so you can eventually shave your hatch. I will change this as How to as I do mine. For the auto hatch VAG COM Codes follow the below info, taken from VWVortex.com

Just hold down the middle hatch button for 3 seconds on the key fob and it will unlock, then do another click and it should pop ....however with out the right struts, you will have to lift it with your back window wiper.

check all these and uncheck the others...
46- central conv

byte 0 bit 3,4,5

byte 1 bit 3,4,6,7

byte 2 bit 0,1

This was used with the most up to date download. I am not a Vag Com Expert, I had went to a friend to do this and we got my hatch to pop succesfully with these codes.

Rear VW Removal.
You need 2 remove the 2 screws in the Grip Handles in the Hatch, and then pull down on the plastic backing very hard. There are 6 metal clips that need to snap out. Becareful, and pull hard.
Once you have it removed, disconnect the VW Latch Connect, and Unscrew the 3 screws holding the emblem in, give it a small twist and it should pop out.
From this point on, you just need to have the area that had the eblem shaved down and filled in. And your rockin

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks man, however the Vagcom locater doesnt seem like its really kept up to date. I know whats behind there, just want to know what other people have done. and how much clearance there will be once the bump with the emblem is shaved down.

#4 ·
I think a lot of people just remove it and use the key pop. The actuator should be on the bottom, I'd guess. If you're really serious about it, go ahead and pull out that mechanism and see how it does. Mine'll probably get a shave before too long, just need $$$. Also, yes, basically just a contoured welded piece. If it doesn't match the body lines, you'll have to bondo the crap out of it and it'll crack after a little while.

#5 ·
YEah im serious about it, just need to save some dough for my body guy to do it for me. So you think the actuator is near the bottom? hmmm I figured it would be connected to the latch. I was reading about it on an mk4 site, but thats not helping me much hahaha.

#6 ·
I would say just lather it up and take a Mach III to it. LOL. Just kidding.

That actually looks really cool. That picture you posted is SICK but I don't know if i'd like my car that low. I do like the lack of VW symbol in the hatch which is what I know you are talking about here. Also, take a look at that photo again. Are my eyes kooky or do those rear wheels look cambered outward at an unnatural angle?

#8 ·
that orig pic is AlexVR's car I think, from over on GolfMKV. He's on air as well. If I were you I would get the car down and on some wheels before doing all that body work, unless you already have and I haven't seen it. If that's the fact then go for it. You'll also need the new strut kit from ecs tuning to get the trunk to pop open, it's around $100

#9 · (Edited)
I found it on the vortex, the guy is selling the lower valance and the exhaust. Beautiful porsche exhaust tips

You havent seen it ;) Theres like 2 pics in the raceland DIY but its just showing tire tuck ,Im all the way down on racelands and I just sold my bbs rs wheels and about to order some raderwerks. Full vortex get up yada yada and badgless grill with shaved hood (thats all ready for paint work next month, sitting in my garage, pics will be up once its all finished) shaved hatch is whats up next. Ill get around to pics sometime in the near future, i currently just have an iphone for a camera.

#11 · (Edited)
LOL, im not jelous of feeling broke hahaha

Im just really surprised that no one out of all the awesome forums out there, that there is no DIY shave of an MKV hatch. I dont even need to see how the body work is done, just the mechanics. I guess i may go with what DJ said and pull it apart and check it out.

Maybe I should be the first one to throw a DIY or info up on the inter-nerd.

#14 ·
Auto window key fob? Don't our cars already do this with the key turned one direction or the other in the lock. Or are you talking keyless window up/down, because THAT would be SWEET!

#25 ·
I've vagged this hatch pop for many people. All i did was check byte 2 bit 3 and it worked.

#28 ·
I have some new updates that will go on here soon. I decided that with the summer in Buffalo almost over to hold off on my new wheels until next spring. I am going to go get all my body work done so I will be fully badgeless. I will have updates on removal of the emblem and any kind of tinkering that may go on it. stay tuned friends.

#35 · (Edited)
Thought I would give my fav forum members the first option to get some stock rabbit gear if needed before i throw them for sale on the Vortex. I havent come up with prices yet, but PM if interested...
Stock Front Lip
Stock Rear Bumper
Stock Mudflaps (lots of scrapes on the bottom, cause i let them drag)
Stock Shadow Blue Grill with VW Logo
Stock Rear Emblem along with boot, emblem background painted shadow blue
Stock Rear Hatch Shocks
Stock dash vent
Stock whip antenna
Stock side mirror heated glass

up on the vortex http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5037562-FS-2007-VW-MK5-Rabbit-OEM-Stock-Parts-Buffalo-NY

#39 · (Edited)
So the last few days ive been waiting on new updates from the guy doing my body work. unfortunatly he forgot to take pics of the rear hatch before painting. I should have the car back by thursday night. Check back for pics on Saturday when I have the Votex parts on as well.

Edit- I guess im waiting longer then Thursday, part of the car needs to be repainted because the painter didnt like this one spot. so no clue when ill get it back. but u will have photos as soon as i can

#45 ·
Nope, not getting rubstrips removed. At least not this adventure. Maybe when I decide to change the color. I'm getting hood and bumper notch filled, rear emblem shaves off, dings on hood, side door and rear fender. Plus having badgeless grill, votex rear and diffuser, votex front lip, votex spoiler painted. $700 bucks for it all. Id like to get the rub strips removed, him and I talked about it. So it could b a surprise if he does it. But i still see rub strip holes Oh and I asked him not to send me any rear shots of it painted because I want to b surprised...my girlfriend called me a nerd lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.