Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
52K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Paula B. 
#1 ·
First of all, I'm a newbie so Hi! :) Glad to have found this forum so I can express my love of VW without someone rolling their eyes at me.

I recently got a 2008 WV Beetle (the W3 edition) and I absolutely love it!

My question is - is there a way to rest the tire pressure light so it will go off? The manual says to take the car to an authorized dealer (of course) but I know there has to be a way to do it! I have checked my tire pressure and corrected it.

Thanks!

#2 ·
If you have corrected the pressure it will go off by itself. How much have you driven since putting air in your tires? What gauge did you use to check the pressure? (Gas station pressure gauges are typically very inaccurate) Buy a good digital tire pressure gauge and fill them up to 36psi and drive around for a few miles and it should go off.

If not, one of the sensors might be bad and you'll need to take it up to the dealer.

#15 ·
Unfortunately this can also happen (and perhaps break the sensor) if you live in the mountains like I do. I drive into the mountains and the PSI hits 40+, I come back down and it returns to around 35 psi. Too bad I can't manually reset it like on almost any other car manufacturer

I scoured the forums and may have missed a workaround. If so please repost.

#4 · (Edited)
I recommended the digital because every pen gauge I've used has always broken. As far as the actual pressure. 34psi may be recommended, but if your gauge is off a little the pressure could still be low. So if you fill it up a little more you're more likely to get it out of the range where the TPMS light goes on. Also, there is no danger in running a few extra PSI than what they put on the door jam and you'll likely get better mileage. I usually run my 17" conti's (door jam says 34psi) between 36-38psi.

Oh, and welcome to VWOC. enjoy your stay!

#5 ·
...and check your spare. I have a slow leak on my spare (which has a TPMS sensor on it). I about went cross-eyed one day because it wouldn't go off after checking the pressure on the four tires in use over and over again. Then the tiny lightbulb in my head turned on!

#6 ·
The system doesn't check the spare for tire pressure. I drove around for a week without my spare tire in the car and my TPMS light never went on. The sensors are only activated after detecting that the tire is spinning.

#8 ·
On the 08 beetle the driver door jam shows the correct tire pressures.

#11 ·
Thanks all. We increased the pressure to 36psi and it work like a charm. I drove around for two days (after we put air in it the first time) worrying because that stupid light wouldn't go off! :D:
So it took two days after the problem was corrected for the light to go off? Or it took two days of driving with the light on before you tried a second time to fix it?
Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm having the same issue and am wondering if I should expect the light to go off as soon as the tire pressure is correct.

#14 ·
To reset the tire presure light you need to follow these simple steps.

1. Turn the ignition switch to on but don't start the car.
2.Inflate all tires to 40 psi.
3. light will be out, turn ignition switch to off.
4.readjust tire preasure to recomended presure.
5. DONE!

#16 ·
#17 ·
This is true until all tire pressures go below 28-29psi (in my experience)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.