VW Beetle Forum | VW Bug" tire pressure light reset?" BeetleOwnersClub.com
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tire pressure light reset?

New Member mendifae is a jewel in the rough mendifae's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile tire pressure light reset?

First of all, I'm a newbie so Hi! Glad to have found this forum so I can express my love of VW without someone rolling their eyes at me.

I recently got a 2008 WV Beetle (the W3 edition) and I absolutely love it!

My question is - is there a way to rest the tire pressure light so it will go off? The manual says to take the car to an authorized dealer (of course) but I know there has to be a way to do it! I have checked my tire pressure and corrected it.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

We're Geekin' DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: tire pressure light reset?

If you have corrected the pressure it will go off by itself. How much have you driven since putting air in your tires? What gauge did you use to check the pressure? (Gas station pressure gauges are typically very inaccurate) Buy a good digital tire pressure gauge and fill them up to 36psi and drive around for a few miles and it should go off.

If not, one of the sensors might be bad and you'll need to take it up to the dealer.
    UG 2008 4dr Auto, Sunroof, ESP, Votex Ground Effects Kit.

Mods: Stubby Antenna, Clear Sidemarkers, Euro Switch , OEM Projector Fog Lights, C2 93 Flash, BSH Intake, A3 Leather Shift Knob, GTI OEM HIDs, Tinted Euro R32 Tails, Eurojet Exhaust, H&R 24mm RSB, Jetta Wolfsburg FE swap, Eibach Sportline springs and Koni Str.T shocks, VW Euro OEM Leather Steering wheel, 17" VW OEM Anthracite Goals.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. I used a gauge that I purchased but it's not digital. I think my husband only inflated them to 34 psi so that's probably the problem. I will look into a digital gauge and have him add more air.

We're Geekin' DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider's Avatar
    Thanks

I recommended the digital because every pen gauge I've used has always broken. As far as the actual pressure. 34psi may be recommended, but if your gauge is off a little the pressure could still be low. So if you fill it up a little more you're more likely to get it out of the range where the TPMS light goes on. Also, there is no danger in running a few extra PSI than what they put on the door jam and you'll likely get better mileage. I usually run my 17" conti's (door jam says 34psi) between 36-38psi.

Oh, and welcome to VWOC. enjoy your stay!
    Last edited by DUSlider; 07-19-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Mods: Stubby Antenna, Clear Sidemarkers, Euro Switch , OEM Projector Fog Lights, C2 93 Flash, BSH Intake, A3 Leather Shift Knob, GTI OEM HIDs, Tinted Euro R32 Tails, Eurojet Exhaust, H&R 24mm RSB, Jetta Wolfsburg FE swap, Eibach Sportline springs and Koni Str.T shocks, VW Euro OEM Leather Steering wheel, 17" VW OEM Anthracite Goals.

Senior Member drive is just really nice drive's Avatar
    Thanks

...and check your spare. I have a slow leak on my spare (which has a TPMS sensor on it). I about went cross-eyed one day because it wouldn't go off after checking the pressure on the four tires in use over and over again. Then the tiny lightbulb in my head turned on!
    No, you're not cramming 7 people into my car

Thanks

The system doesn't check the spare for tire pressure. I drove around for a week without my spare tire in the car and my TPMS light never went on. The sensors are only activated after detecting that the tire is spinning.

Senior Member drive is just really nice drive's Avatar
    Thanks

...interesting. Then I must be mistaken. Coincidences, gotta love 'em.
    No, you're not cramming 7 people into my car

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

On the 08 beetle the driver door jam shows the correct tire pressures.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

Thanks

Thanks all. We increased the pressure to 36psi and it work like a charm. I drove around for two days (after we put air in it the first time) worrying because that stupid light wouldn't go off!

Thanks for all the help!

Guru Member ClassicRbt has much to be proud of ClassicRbt's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine was on for 3 days. Found out my right rear had 24 psi, fail on my part. The other tires were well below 36 psi as well.

New Member Proxgotsthafia is a jewel in the rough Proxgotsthafia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mendifae View Post
    Thanks all. We increased the pressure to 36psi and it work like a charm. I drove around for two days (after we put air in it the first time) worrying because that stupid light wouldn't go off!
    So it took two days after the problem was corrected for the light to go off? Or it took two days of driving with the light on before you tried a second time to fix it?
    Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm having the same issue and am wondering if I should expect the light to go off as soon as the tire pressure is correct.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Proxgotsthafia View Post
    So it took two days after the problem was corrected for the light to go off? Or it took two days of driving with the light on before you tried a second time to fix it?
    Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm having the same issue and am wondering if I should expect the light to go off as soon as the tire pressure is correct.
    The light should go out within about 5 minutes of driving if you put enough air in. Don't use the gas station gauges they are very inaccurate. Buy a quality digital gauge and keep it in your glove box. Fill them up to 34-36psi and it should go out. (I'd recommend 36, won't hurt anything and depending on where you live it's just going to get colder and the pressure will drop some)

New Member Proxgotsthafia is a jewel in the rough Proxgotsthafia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DUSlider View Post
    The light should go out within about 5 minutes of driving if you put enough air in. Don't use the gas station gauges they are very inaccurate. Buy a quality digital gauge and keep it in your glove box. Fill them up to 34-36psi and it should go out. (I'd recommend 36, won't hurt anything and depending on where you live it's just going to get colder and the pressure will drop some)
    I went and bought a digital gauge as you suggested, and it made a world of difference. I had no idea the "gas station" gauges were so inaccurate! Inflated tires to 37 psi (as indicated on the door jam), drove out of the lot and the light went off in less than two minutes. Thanks for all your help!

New Member NCIS is a jewel in the rough NCIS's Avatar
    Thanks

To reset the tire presure light you need to follow these simple steps.

1. Turn the ignition switch to on but don't start the car.
    2.Inflate all tires to 40 psi.
    3. light will be out, turn ignition switch to off.
    4.readjust tire preasure to recomended presure.
    5. DONE!

New Member Scruff410 is a jewel in the rough Scruff410's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DUSlider View Post
    If you have corrected the pressure it will go off by itself. How much have you driven since putting air in your tires? What gauge did you use to check the pressure? (Gas station pressure gauges are typically very inaccurate) Buy a good digital tire pressure gauge and fill them up to 36psi and drive around for a few miles and it should go off.

If not, one of the sensors might be bad and you'll need to take it up to the dealer.
    Unfortunately this can also happen (and perhaps break the sensor) if you live in the mountains like I do. I drive into the mountains and the PSI hits 40+, I come back down and it returns to around 35 psi. Too bad I can't manually reset it like on almost any other car manufacturer

I scoured the forums and may have missed a workaround. If so please repost.

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

if all tires have the same initial pressure before going into those elevations, you should not get a warning light when they come back to the initial psi. it is the difference in psi from one tire to the rest that triggers the light.

also, you can purchase an oem switch that ties to your abs to reset your tpms. vagcom is required: http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/s...r-Reset-Button

welcome to the VWOC...
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Monsters, Gorilla Skin + Legos & Steel Toes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by le0n View Post
    if all tires have the same initial pressure before going into those elevations, you should not get a warning light when they come back to the initial psi. it is the difference in psi from one tire to the rest that triggers the light.

also, you can purchase an oem switch that ties to your abs to reset your tpms. vagcom is required: http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/s...r-Reset-Button

welcome to the VWOC...
    This is true until all tire pressures go below 28-29psi (in my experience)

Junior Member Tippman7641 is just really nice Tippman7641's Avatar
    Thanks
    A difference of 8psi or more between tires will also set the light off

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text