Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
57K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  shawng 
#1 ·
I had to get rid of my old SUV, so I've been mulling over the purchase of a vehicle so that I can tow a snowmobile and a single-axle boat trailer - maybe a few thousand miles a year of towing. Rather than buying a separate tow vehicle, I was thinking it might be more economical to trade in my 2008 Rabbit for a Tiguan.

The Tiguan's towing capacity concerned me - 2200 lbs. But I was reading that everywhere else except America, the Tiguan is rated for 4000 lbs.

Is there a difference mechanically between the Tiguan sold in America, and elsewhere? Or is the 2200 lb rating too conservative?

#2 ·
They should all be very similar. Possibly other parts of the world have a more rugged spring/shock setup for towing but who knows. You can upgrade that if needed anyway. How many lbs is your stuff? I doubt its over 2200.

#3 ·
Nitro, thanks for the quick answer. I've never weighed my boat, but I figure it is about 2500-2600 lbs. The manufacturer spec for the hull, empty and dry, is ~1260 lbs. The outboard is about 325, and the Load-Rite trailer is probably 550 lbs. That totals ~2150. Then add in fuel, oil, batteries, anchor, gear, etc etc - and another 300-400 lbs.

My snowmobile with flatbed trailer is probably half that.

#4 ·
With my jeep (rated at 5000 lbs towing properly equipped) I towed just over 6000 lbs through the mountains WITH an extra 1000 lbs in aftermarket skid plates and body protection and suspension bolted to the jeep itself. Only thing I had goin for me was the ceramic brakes I installed.

I say do it. Or, if you can afford a Touareg TDI go with that.

#5 ·
I say do it. Or, if you can afford a Touareg TDI go with that.
Can't spring for a Touareg right now - I've got a new 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T in the garage which is sucking up a lot of my play money.

That's why I thought that it might be more economical to trade in my 2008 Rabbit towards the Tiguan vs buying another new or late model used tow-vehicle.

If the numbers from the dealer work well, I may indeed get the Tiguan. If so, I'll let everyone know how well it tows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.