Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
14K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jessebelle 
#1 ·
good evening, i'm going to change the timing belt on the above vehicle. it runs great, but we have no idea how old the tining belt is. car has 140k on the clock. we did the timing belt on my 84 1.6 non turbo rabbit, came out great. anything i should be looking for in the process of doing this task? we have all of the special tools required, will also renew the water pump, tensioner, etc. any advice on the job would be appreciated. thanx

#2 ·
From what I have read this is a whole different can of worms. The injection pump timing is controlled by the computer , so you need a laptop with the proper software to tune it to even run. You will need the timing tools for the alh motor. This is exactly why I purchased an old 87 golf diesel.. No computer=less complicated:)

#3 · (Edited)
You need locking pins to lock the injection pump and cam. You also sh ould lock the crank. There is a specific order to do all this. If you do it right, you do not need a computer. If I were you I would NOT attempt this and ONLY have a VW dealer do it. One TINY screwup and you will blow the head OR the pump will be out of time.

In a nutshell:

Remove valve cover. Lock the cam to TDC
Lock crank at TDC. Put pin in injection pump. Loosen bolt for cam pully and let spin freely. Remove belt and idlers/pump, tensioners/rollers etc. Install new belt but DO NOT install the small idlers yet. Adjust tension. Install idlers. lock down cam. Unlock injection pump. fill cooling system. Turn engine over twice and verify alignment of crank/cam/pump.

#4 ·
we have the bently book(new) for reference, it does not mention a laptop, the steps in performing this job seem to be outlined quite clearly. we also have all of the correct locking devices. i can sure see that this task is quite different than my 84 rabbit, do you remember how long, from start to completion, it took to do this job? vw dealers around here get outrageous sums of money to do this, one dealer charged a friend $800.00 just to change a timing belt, no other parts, no w.pump,dlers,tensioners,rollers,etc., which i thought was not only a money rip-off, but the associated parts should have been renewed. thanx for the heads-up. i will read up more before attempting this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.