Another 40,000 mile service question
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another 40,000 mile service question

New Member Hareraiser is a jewel in the rough Hareraiser's Avatar
    Thanks

Another 40,000 mile service question

I've been quoted $480 for the 40K service, but DBC can supply me with all I need for a DIY job for $130. I've done work on cars more complicated than anything the draining or replacements specified for this service. With about 8K miles of basic warranty remaining, and the car throwing a code for "EGR Very Small Leak," for which a service visit is scheduled, I'm concerned that DIY will give VW justification to deny a warranty service claim. All the other regularly scheduled service, with the exception of routine oil changes, which I do, have been performed at the dealership.

Will dealerships honor a request for an inspection-only 40K service, and sign-off on DIY for all the fluids, filters, and plugs, if I can document the use of OEM replacements? Heck, I put better oil in my Rabbit than the local dealer uses (Castrol Syntec 5W-40 to their 5W-30). I thought I'd ask this of the membership before I call a few dealers. I'd rather not hear the guy ROTFLHAO, followed by "No."

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Guru Member ClassicRbt has much to be proud of ClassicRbt's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Another 40,000 mile service question

Quote Originally Posted by Hareraiser View Post
    I've been quoted $480 for the 40K service, but DBC can supply me with all I need for a DIY job for $130. I've done work on cars more complicated than anything the draining or replacements specified for this service. With about 8K miles of basic warranty remaining, and the car throwing a code for "EGR Very Small Leak," for which a service visit is scheduled, I'm concerned that DIY will give VW justification to deny a warranty service claim. All the other regularly scheduled service, with the exception of routine oil changes, which I do, have been performed at the dealership.

Will dealerships honor a request for an inspection-only 40K service, and sign-off on DIY for all the fluids, filters, and plugs, if I can document the use of OEM replacements? Heck, I put better oil in my Rabbit than the local dealer uses (Castrol Syntec 5W-40 to their 5W-30). I thought I'd ask this of the membership before I call a few dealers. I'd rather not hear the guy ROTFLHAO, followed by "No."
    Document your stuff, I've dont all the service on my car and they haven't said anything. Better yet get the code fixed then perform your service.

LIFETIME VIP MEMBER mcsdude23 is a glorious beacon of light mcsdude23's Avatar
    Thanks

I have had a lot of warranty work done on my car and they have never once questioned my service record. I did a 10k service once or twice at the dealer the rest was oil changes. Dealers around here do not question your service record, usually. They just perform the work if there is an evident problem.
    Yeah I own a rabbit. How does it drive? I wouldnt be able to tell you.

Guru Member argue53 is a jewel in the rough argue53's Avatar
    Thanks

do the service yourself.. if you are in north nj and need a hand w the labor shoot me a pm and we can set something up. i've done mine. did work on my bro's audi as well.
    Bryant
    08 Black Rabbit, 2 door, 5 spd, 17in Kartho rims on Toyo Proxies, 16in Steelies on Conti Winter tires, Eibach springs, GTI brake upgrade, res & mid muffler delete, BSH intake, K&N filter, Polyurethane Torque Arm insert, Votex bodykit, R32 tails, tinted windows, H7 bulbs, LED strips, smoked sidemarkers, Prem 7HU, 12in JL Audio Sub/ Orion amp, Custom interior, gutted out rear, stubby antenna, VAG'd...

New Member Hareraiser is a jewel in the rough Hareraiser's Avatar
    Thanks

argue53,

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm located in Dayton, Ohio.

+ Reply to Thread