QUESTION Steering wheel indicator light
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steering wheel indicator light

Fahrvergnugen acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator's Avatar
    Thanks

Steering wheel indicator light

I removed some of the panels around the driver's side last night looking for the CECM (I know now I was looking in the wrong place). After I put everything back together and reconnected the battery, I started teh car to move it and noticed the steering wheel indicator light was on and stayed on. I checked VCDS today and saw the following fault
    00778 - steering angle sensor (G85)

Did I knock something loose, if so where and is it simple to remedy? Or is this a more serious issue where I have to take the car to the dealer?
    - Nic

2006 Uni Black Rabbit

4 door - 5 spd - UM tune - Neuspeed P-flo - Eurojet exhaust - Koni yellow - DG Springs - Fogs - Euro tails - Ronal Goals (summer/autoX) - SSM Magny Cours (winter) - Hatch pop kit - iPod adapter

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Steering wheel indicator light

Quote Originally Posted by acgator View Post
    I removed some of the panels around the driver's side last night looking for the CECM (I know now I was looking in the wrong place). After I put everything back together and reconnected the battery, I started teh car to move it and noticed the steering wheel indicator light was on and stayed on. I checked VCDS today and saw the following fault
    00778 - steering angle sensor (G85)

Did I knock something loose, if so where and is it simple to remedy? Or is this a more serious issue where I have to take the car to the dealer?
    when you disconnect and then re connect the battery the light turns on, after driving 20-30 feet, it goes out there is no worries dude.
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BIGGREEK For This Useful Post:

acgator (05-13-2010)

Guru Member seanmcd is a glorious beacon of light seanmcd's Avatar
    Thanks

change your pants and go for a short drive :D
    2008 Rabbit 2DR, 5-speed

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seanmcd For This Useful Post:

acgator (05-13-2010)

We're Geekin' DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider's Avatar
    Thanks

The thing that I'm not sure about, I don't think disconnecting the battery throws a code. In all the times I've disconnected the battery, I don't remember it throwing a code when I connect it again.
    UG 2008 4dr Auto, Sunroof, ESP, Votex Ground Effects Kit.

Mods: Stubby Antenna, Clear Sidemarkers, Euro Switch , OEM Projector Fog Lights, C2 93 Flash, BSH Intake, A3 Leather Shift Knob, GTI OEM HIDs, Tinted Euro R32 Tails, Eurojet Exhaust, H&R 24mm RSB, Jetta Wolfsburg FE swap, Eibach Sportline springs and Koni Str.T shocks, VW Euro OEM Leather Steering wheel, 17" VW OEM Anthracite Goals.

Fahrvergnugen acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator has a reputation beyond repute acgator's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you gentlemen! Light went out shortly after pulling out of the garage. I guess I didn't go far enough last night.
    - Nic

2006 Uni Black Rabbit

4 door - 5 spd - UM tune - Neuspeed P-flo - Eurojet exhaust - Koni yellow - DG Springs - Fogs - Euro tails - Ronal Goals (summer/autoX) - SSM Magny Cours (winter) - Hatch pop kit - iPod adapter

New Member Reid Burnett is a jewel in the rough Reid Burnett's Avatar
    Thanks

My '08 Rabbit with 65K miles began displaying the yellow steering wheel icon a couple weeks ago. I can "reboot" my car and it turns off. I have been paying close attention to when it comes on after driving. Usually it is during sharp right turns at slow speeds; typically right turn yields where I downshift to 2nd or 3rd gear, right turns when parking; mostly around 90 degree turns. I can feel in the steering when it disables and about 2 seconds after I feel the spongey steering change is when the light illuminates yellow/amber color. It has yet to turn red. At these same slower sharp turns I hear a sort of groaning.
    How long should I let this go on? I'm also still using the factory tires and they are near needing to be replaced at 65K.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

You need to have the dealer scan the steering module. See what is going on. It may be a simple sensor or it may need an entire steering rack.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

+ Reply to Thread