Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ChelsDS 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I purchased my used 2008 CW Rabbit back in January after I spun my last car out (*sob*) when we had the horrible rains that month. Love this car but I really do miss the simplicity of the Scion xD I drove (it was slightly modified; lowered, exhaust, HU, RSB, 18"s and could've had a CAI this year..) since it's super easy to maintain, take apart and just mess with.

The Rabbit is very solid compared to the Scion, love the peppiness, ride quality is great and the amount of aftermarket parts blows the whole Scion world out of the water!

I've already started a list of the mods I want to do to this Rabbit, but I just need to wait for funds to catch up :) I put eyelids on the car as I think it makes my bunny look angry aaaaand I'm also waiting for a custom plate! Never had the chance to get one for my xD (*sob*).

Mods:
Reinstall my HU (Avic F700BT) in to this car
Lower it (Koni FSD + Eibach)
CAI (BSH? CARB legal?)
Exhaust (not sure yet)
RSB (H&R 24mm)
Black Vinyl roof

I think that's it... for an exhaust I love the low rumble sound that my xD had (TRD Exhaust) so I'd like that on this car as well. Been told Magnaflow is a good option for our cars, but all the YouTube clips don't make me want it.

Any suggestions? :)

See less See more
#2 ·
blows the whole Scion world out of the water!
^ this is my favorite part. :D

Willkommen bei VWOC and Enjoy your stay!!!!

Perfection in color choice as well. Go Carbonio on the intake and fk's if at all possible for the stance. PLENTY of info here at your disposal. Just make friends with the search. :)

#3 ·
I've heard good and not so good things about the Carbonio, how it's "an extension of the airbox" and what not. Honestly I have no idea as I really haven't gotten in to the engine bay to really look around and see what's what.

Why is Carbonio so good? I've looked at the Intake thread around here somewhere and there was no real reason stated as of why it's so good. The BSH looks like one whole unit whereas the Carbonio looks like several pieces you put together and just happens to be in CF.

Yea my Scion wasn't modified that heavily because there isn't that big of a demand for parts right now so we had very little to play with :(

#4 ·
The Carbonio replaces the stock airbox and air filter on the Rabbit. It is one of the best cold air intakes for the Rabbit due to its construction and design. The BSH CAI is good too, but I've heard of far more people having CEL trouble with the BSH than I have with the Carbonio. Either one is a good choice though and you really can't go wrong with either. As far as CAI's go, I wouldn't really consider any others besides Carbonio and BSH for the Rabbit personally.

#6 ·
Well the bubble on the side is supposedly for any water that was sucked up right? Are there any Dyno sheets for the BSH and Carbonio? I found one for the BSH but the image is super small and I can't find anything on the Carbonio, which bothers me :\

How would you fix a CEL? Would a dealership get upset with you if you brought the car in with a CEL?

Add getting the ECU reflashed (chipped) with either APR or C2 software. It will unlock a little extra power for you along with the intake. Welcome!

CW FTW
Eh... I don't know anything about flashing the ECU so I wouldn't do that.

#5 ·
Add getting the ECU reflashed (chipped) with either APR or C2 software. It will unlock a little extra power for you along with the intake. Welcome!

CW FTW

#7 ·
The bubble is suppose to help trap any moisture that enters the intake, as well as facilitate air flow, I believe. HP and TQ gains will be about the same as the BSH (or really any other CAI for that matter) ... you may see 8 or 10 hp. It also improves throttle response to some degree. As far as fixing a CEL goes, you can clear the code with VAG-COM or similar devices, but it will almost definitely come back, as you aren't fixing the cause which is an improper (as far as the ECM is concerned) fuel/air mixture. The Carbonio is designed such that, if properly installed, you should never have to worry about getting a CEL. There is a MAF insert, sold separately, for the BSH CAI that should eliminate a CEL as well if you should have a problem (alternatively, you could make one yourself as well).

A sure way to make sure you don't get a CEL with an intake is to get your ECU flashed. Not only will this eliminate the worry about CEL's, but it will add some additional HP and TQ, as well as make some nice additional changes such as raising the redline, eliminating the top speed limiter, eliminate rev hang, and a few other nice features. You don't have to know anything about flashing the ECU, you just take the car to and APR or C2 dealer and they will flash the ECU for you in about 30 minutes (or less). For more info see here:

APR: http://www.goapr.com/
C2 Motorsports: http://www.c2motorsports.net/

#8 ·
Hmm... $300 for a flash. How would the dealer react if they found out you flashed your ECU? I'm just thinking down the road for any warranty work if it ever happens.

Speaking of warranty work, are worn seats covered under warranty? Since I got my car used the passenger side has a wear mark on the left cushion of the back of the seat. The drivers seat has no wear marks and the lower portion of the passenger doesn't have any wear marks either. Fuzzy balls (hah!) are appearing after someone has sat and rubbed that area just by sitting down and getting up.

#10 ·
Wear and tear is covered for the first 12k miles or 12 months on most models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.