Golf GTi Mk4 Won't start HEEELLPPP!!
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf GTi Mk4 Won't start HEEELLPPP!!

New Member VW-VDUB is a jewel in the rough VW-VDUB's Avatar
    Thanks

Golf GTi Mk4 Won't start HEEELLPPP!!

Can anyone help...pleeaase??
    I have a '03' 2.0 Golf Gti and the coil pack was faulty but still running....so....I bought a new one today @ 105 and used this car to collect it...stuck it in the garage, disconnected the battery...removed the old 'Coil Pack' - replaced it with the new one - connected all cables and plugs as they were - tried to start the car but the engine turns over but doesn't even try and start. I checked everything was back as it was!

So, I replaced the old coil back again thinking there was a fault with the new one, but now the car won't start with this either????

Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening??
    Last edited by VW-VDUB; 04-06-2010 at 11:06 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Golf GTi Mk4 Won't start HEEELLPPP!!

What fault codes are coming up? Could be a crankshaft speed sensor...they are common to fail on that engine. Look at the tachometer while cranking...does the needle move up a few hundred rpm?

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nitroscope8 For This Useful Post:

VW-VDUB (04-07-2010)

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

first off, welcome to the VWOC

secondly, did you check your fuse box for any suspicious fuses?
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Monsters, Gorilla Skin + Legos & Steel Toes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to le0n For This Useful Post:

VW-VDUB (04-07-2010)

Thanks

Thanks for your quick replies!!

Firstly...I don't have a VAG-COM...yet...so I don't know what fault codes are being generated. The 'Exhaust Emissions' warning lamp was permanently lit as from Saturday night..and it struggled to go over 60mph which prompted me in the direction of a coil failure as I have experienced this behavior before in another car.

Secondly...I have checked the above fuse and this seems ok..I will need to check the rest - If I can get the door open enough as the car is now stranded half in/out my garage.

Oh...now my battery has gone flat whilst continously trying to start.

Keep your thoughts coming as I am pulling my hair out...Typical though...just sold my second car - VW Beetle last week and this happens!!

Cheers
    Last edited by VW-VDUB; 04-06-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    What fault codes are coming up? Could be a crankshaft speed sensor...they are common to fail on that engine. Look at the tachometer while cranking...does the needle move up a few hundred rpm?

Could disconnecting the battery for a lengthy period of time cause a problem with the ECU? its as if there is no spark...I can't check this as I haven't anyone else to turn it over whilst under the bonnet.
    This may be a dim question but, where is the crankshaft sensor location (I don't have a Haynes Manual to hand) and how can you test this with a 'Meter'. I have ordered a 'Fault Code Reader' this should arrive tomorrow with a bit of luck - all should become a bit clearer then.

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Golf GTi Mk4 Won't start HEEELLPPP!!

UPDATE: 15:31 - 07/04/10

The saga continues...

IT STILL WON'T START....

I have checked every plug with a meter - Coil; Crankcase Sensor; Battery; etc..

What I have noticed (don't know if this done it before) but when you turn the ignition to No: 1 the connection block under the window wipers starts whizzing and squarking, like an old Spectrum 48k game loading (If you are old enough to remember) this goes on for 20secs then stops and a clicking sound carrys on from an area underneath the relay box at the back of the battery.

I should receive fault reader tomorrow.

I am on a weeks easter holiday with the kids pretty hard to do anything without transport - can't even drive my VW to a garage to have a look..somebody HELP!!

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks

Under that block is your powertrain m odule power relay. If it's not seated or a bad relay it will buzz and not supply the ecm with enough power. Take a spark plug out and connect it to the ignition wire. Ground the threads to the intake manifold and have someone crank it. Is there spark? If not you need to check hat powertrain relay. If still no spark, you need to check the crank sensor also known as an impulse speed sensor down by your oil filter. This may be the cause of your issue. If you do have spark then disconnect the fuel line and put it into a bucket. Have someone crank it and see if fuel comes out a decent amount. If no fuel, you need to check the fuel pump and see if its getting power. If it is then you need a fuel pump.

This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nitroscope8 For This Useful Post:

VW-VDUB (04-07-2010)

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Golf GTi Mk4 Won't start HEEELLPPP!!

Wahay!!!

Scanner arrived...

It has shown x6 engine faults:

16706 = Ignition/Distibutor Engine Speed Circuit - No Signal
    16585 = ?
    16586 = ?
    16587 = ?
    16588 = ?
    17069 = ?

And a ABS fault:

01314 = ?

Any info would be appreciated but I suspect it is a sensor that is away?

UPDATE: 11:31am

Just erased all engine faults, tried to restart - still no joy - rescanned engine for faults - only x1 ERROR = 16706 - still there. Could someone confirm that this is in fact a sensor and if so is it the Crankcase or Camshaft? and where is it located?
    Last edited by VW-VDUB; 04-08-2010 at 06:01 AM.

I'm broke
    Thanks

It's the crank sensor down near the oil filter....like I said

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nitroscope8 For This Useful Post:

VW-VDUB (04-08-2010)

Thanks

It's the crank sensor down near the oil filter....like I said

Thanks again for your help...

Local outlet will have a new sensor for me by 3:00pm...I will post the outcome later today

I'm broke
    Thanks

K, awesome. When you put the new one in, it may take a little force to get it to seat in the block. DO NOT use the screw to press it into the engine or it will break. Lube up the seal a little and tap it in lightly, then put the screw in.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nitroscope8 For This Useful Post:

VW-VDUB (04-08-2010)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice!!!
    Last edited by VW-VDUB; 04-08-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks

K, awesome. When you put the new one in, it may take a little force to get it to seat in the block. DO NOT use the screw to press it into the engine or it will break. Lube up the seal a little and tap it in lightly, then put the screw in.
    Changed the Crankcase Sensor...and...HEY PRESTO!!...started first time and no fault codes generated - Happy Dayz

Thanks again for all your help!!
    Last edited by VW-VDUB; 04-08-2010 at 04:15 PM.

I'm broke
    Thanks

Happy v-dubbin

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Junior Member Jdub Jon is a jewel in the rough Jdub Jon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VW-VDUB View Post
    Changed the Crankcase Sensor...and...HEY PRESTO!!...started first time and no fault codes generated - Happy Dayz

Thanks again for all your help!!
    Hey I am having the same problem with my 2004 jetta just replaced the cam sensor and now it won't start and the oil light pops on I think its either just a lil low on oil like it is or maybe some silicone is blocking the oil filter housing I am not sure either way I redid the timing 3 times now and it turns over but won't start and I am having the same symptoms in my jetta with the wipers going and the tachometer not moving at all. Anyone with any advice would be much appreciated. I am a member on vwvortex but no one ever messages or comments back. Thanks

Junior Member Jdub Jon is a jewel in the rough Jdub Jon's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi I am having the same problems but I just checked the ESS aka the Crank sensor its good and I just replaced the Cam sensor I redid the timing three times now. I am at a complete lose I just built the engine a few months ago and I have been fixing leaks and little things here and there the last thing I did was replace the sensor and silicone the filter house because the gasket was leaking oil. Now my Jetta won't start at all it turns over but won't start it even back fired at one point. The tachometer aka the rpm gauge won't move it started to but still nothing I got it to run a second or two and the oil light came on and the rpm gauge started to creep to 1k before it shut off. I know it ran fine before I replaced the sensor. I am at a complete stand still now with my car. Any help would be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread