Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  05MCS 
#1 ·
I've got an '82 rabbit with the 1.7L carbureted engine. I've been looking around trying to figure out what carburetor I have so that I can get a rebuild kit for it. So far I've been told I have either a Zenith or Solex 2 barrel Carburetor and need to find the label on it with the part number. I've also read that it is a Solex 34 PICT 5 single barrel carburetor but was told by the local import parts store that that carburetor was only used on air cooled cars. I've looked at the carb closely and it looks like it may have a Weber logo on the side of it but I can't see it clearly without removing it. It also looks to me like its a one barrel carburetor.

Since its been running like snot; i.e. won't idle consistently, likes to stall out when the brakes are applied, smells like it may be leaking a little gas and maybe running rich, has a leaking intake manifold, etc.; I'm getting quite motivated to take the carb off, rebuild it and replace the intake manifold gasket. If anyone has an idea as to what carburetor this is I'd greatly appreciate a solid answer. If you need to see more pics just let me know.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
find a Dodge/Chrysler OMNI/Horizon.... They had carbs........ And they had some radically large engines towards the end of the Series.

#9 ·
I have a lot of experience with that carburetor.
First, it's not covered by Haynes or Bentley manuals.
When I had trouble with mine, I bought the Bentley manual right from VW. Long after, I discovered that like on page 2 of the manual, it says what the manual covers, just like it said on the front cover, except with the additional fine print "except 1982 thru 1984 US built with carburetor"!!!

When I saw your posted picture, I saw an 82, 83, or 84 US built Rabbit without even reading any of the text. What you have is a feedback carb, and you have a control unit and oxygen sensor for it just like the CIS fuel injected... except it controls the frequency valve duty cycle opposite regarding rich/lean. You'll need to troubleshoot that whole system, and if it's not working at all you may need to just go with a different carb. The link you posted for the carb you thought was right didn't show a carb so I can't advise there. (PM sent, and reply received, copy/pasted portion here... now that I can post!!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.