Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
35K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  shouldahadav8 
#1 ·
My 99 Golf 2.0 has a sensor issue where my PRND321 image becomes a negative/reverse image of how it normally appears. when this occures my car goes into a safe mode not allowing my transmission to shift properly.

What is this causing the problem? i have replaced my transmission before in this car and it wasnt cheap! this same thing happened to my last transmission but i continued to drive it and it failed after a while. I had a friend scan it with a computer and clear the codes and it drove fine again but shortly after the same thing occured. he said it was a $8.00 sensor

if there is a moderator out there who can help you would be doing me the biggest favor anyone has ever done for me.

#2 ·
Well, it has the AG4 4 spd auto trans. There is a speed sensor under the trans mount that frequently fails. There are a few other sensors there as well. all of them can cause your problem. You need to find out which sensor is bad and replace it. Also, have a good look at the sensor wiring. Most of the time you remove the trans mount and support the trans with a jack stand or something and replace that sensor....I think it's G68? I forget.... but the codes it's throwing will tell me what sensor failed.

#4 ·
I dont have a VAGCOM or a scanner to run codes. Out of curiosity what are the sensors which cause this problem?......i already replaced what my friend said was a "MAP" sensor when he cleared the code last time. it ran fine for one day then the same problem happened, i looked into what a "Maximum absolute pressure" sensor was and i couldn't see how it would cause these problems. But then again i could be naming the wrong sensor. I really would like to find some information about these sensors...this seems to be a very common problem in this car.

#5 ·
We need to clear a few things up. Do you have an ENGINE problem or a TRANSMISSION problem? If the PRINDL is lit up then you have a TRANSMISSION issue. There are many reasons for this. The most common are the sensors ON the transmission itself. The long black on in the back near the firewall is the speedometer sensor...thats NOT your issue. the other ones are internal transmission speed sensors and they most likely ARE your problem. Or the wiring to those sensors may have broken. The internal speed sensors tell the transmission module if its shifting ok and if the various clutches are working properly. if it finds a faulty signal from a bad sensor on the trans it will go into limp mode and make the prindl light up like that.

#6 · (Edited)
Its definitely the internal speed sensor, but the problem i am facing is that i have already replaced the sensor and its gone out again. (this is the sensor i was told was a MAP sensor)

Today i went out removed the air filter box so i could see all the sensors, i unplugged this internal speed sensor to test it with a multimeter (the sensor with one red wire one green wire). when i plugged it back in and went to start my car it wouldn't start ,i got power but it would rapidly click like my battery was dead..... its never done this and now one problem has led into another. ( the battery is brand new and i started the car a few days ago)

Please VWOC help me bring my Golf back to life. I know this is just a sensor issue. I will try to post some pics ASAP.

#7 ·
Rappid clicks means you have a power problem. I'm starting to think that maybe you are having power and ground wiring problems in the car and its throwing ghost faults and causing other problems. Lets get a few things straight. A map sensor is a MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOSR. A 2.0 engine DOES NOT have this sensor...it never did. This sensor WOULD be for metering airflow into the engine and is attached to the intake manifold. You have a MAF sensor...mass airflow meter which is that black tube with a plug attached to your airbox....it does the same thing and meters air going into your engine.

I'm going to stop here. It is IMPOSSIBLE for us to help you UNLESS you post up ALL fault codes in your engine control module and your transmission control module. Generic scanners will only post up HARD codes and not SPORADIC codes. We need BOTH codes. Hard codes are faults that keep coming back and sporadic faults are codes that only happen once in a while. VERY EXPENSIVE scanners will tell us both. Before we go any further please post up the codes in the ECM and TCM. I will then show you pictures of where to look and what to do.

PLEASE do not go sticking a meter into random parts. You can damage the ECM or TCM and cause your car not to start.

#8 · (Edited)
Well its been a while but i thought i should keep up with this post...... the car still starts, i had bought a piece of crap duralast battery which died the two days later,I put on a optima and it started again. My brother bought a TACTRIX cable and we're going to run the codes to see what comes up. I'll post the codes may they be HARD or SPORADIC i couldn't tell you. But i will post the codes when i get the lap top from my girlfriend in the next two days.

I also found some info on Fourtitude Forums http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4535622 maybe this could be the scenario

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.