Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

A tragic story turned into a fairytale.'08 Rabbit --> '10 Golf

11K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  wed_wabbit 
#1 · (Edited)
So here's the story.Once upon a time, I was the happy owner of a beautiful '08 Rabbit.

Then, Christmas of '09 came around. Around 10:30 pm I got a call from my doctor that I work with at a vet clinic. She needed my help, and I started to drive up Rt. 130 toward Stahlstown from Greensburg, PA. On my way, I came across someone else's headlights in my lane. Turns out a drunk driver decided it would be a great idea to be in my lane at the time. I slammed on my brakes, skidding on cinders and gravel. She hit me head on, without trying to swerve at all. This is what my car looked like the next morning.

So, in return for the moron hitting me, I got to buy a new car. What else would I buy? My Rabbit saved my life that night. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, and I've never been more proud of a car in all my life. I will buy Volkswagens for the rest of my life.

Happy Ending. :)

See less See more
Reactions: KILLER RABBIT
#3 ·
Wow..glad you walked away from that one! I can't help but laugh that your framerail is like 2 ft away from where it should be.

Now, go put those goal wheels that you had on the rabbit onto the new golf!

#4 ·
Now, go put those goal wheels that you had on the rabbit onto the new golf!
Oh yes. While sitting in the hospital getting a CT scan on my neck/skull, I was thanking god that I had my Goal wheels safely at home while my crap winter wheels were on the car.

#6 ·
wow, you give a little, you get a little...

you never know what the person in the other lane is going to do, that's the joy of it all.

i'm glad these cars hold up so well in collisions. congrats on your new golf purchase.

i sure hope the drunkard had insurance...

#9 ·
I had a similar thing happen one morning. I had to go to work really early and someone decided it was cool to pass a car by going over the double yellow. Around a bend and HELLO!! It was either total the rabbit or push the van next to me off the road nad have my insurance pay for it. So I went for the van. God must have been with us that morning because the van anticipated my move and already slammed his brakes to let me swerve over.

anyway....good luck with your new golf! Those seats make me droooooool....

#10 ·
Well technically, the wheels weren't my first worry. I was more worried that I wasn't bleeding into my skull. Which thankfully I wasn't. I had a few cuts and bruises. I did have a moderate concussion, and I twisted my ankle when stumbling out of the passenger side door into the snow, since the drunk passenger in the other car was screaming for me to get out. (He was worried that his wife, who was driving, had died, because she was unconscious. I had to point out the fact that she was breathing and speaking in order for him to calm down. Still, being in the presence of a very drunk, angry man was a little scary.)

#11 ·
Glad you walked away with only minor injuries from what must have been a frightening collision, but I'm sorry about your bunny. I hope the other driver got what she deserved.

#12 ·
Wow, crazy story and a crazy accident. It's great that everyone ended up safe in the end.

When the Jetta came out, it was the safest car ever released pretty much. So glad that the safety features saved you, and many others. Ten years ago things may not have been the same.

#13 ·
A cars design now a days saves lives, at 60-100mph combined speed i dunno how people survive....I had a good friend killed by a drunk driver, it pisses me off that people dont think responsibily in a situation like that. Glad to see your rabbit saved ur neck and u stood with the veedub brand....

#16 ·
I myself was going 45 mph. The lady who hit me was going 55 - 60 mph. And yes, I wonder how there wasn't more damage, lives lost, etc.

#17 ·
So Happy you're okay. Very inspiring story. I'm with you on the drunk drivers. My oldest brother was run over and killed by a drunk driver as he got off the school bus. Fred was 11. This was back when they just got a slap on the wrist. My dad had to work with the guy for the next 20 years.

:drive:+:jd: = :c&b:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.