Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
18K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  eclecticSET 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2001 New Beetle, 2l, vag-com code cylinder 1 ignition circuit open circuit p1355-35-10-intermittant. is this a plug problem, wires, or coil?

#2 ·
Ignition activation open circuit? You need to run a dedicated ground wire from the coil. Open teh coil connector harness and replace that brown pin with a new one from the vw dealer. Then run a nice big ground to a ground bung under the battery. There is a TSB for this and it lists the part numbers. Your local dealer will have all the parts you need for it.

#4 · (Edited)
I just checked and the TSB 01 08 27 applies to 2002- 2004 2.0 engines only. So I guess it doesn't apply to you. However, that fault does apply to the TSB. If it comes right back on I would try and redo the ground wire to start, then if that doesn't work go ahead and replace the coil.

TSB are NOT covered under warranty if you are out of the New Vehicle Limited warranty period.
Repair wire 000 979 225 1
Repair wire 000 979 230 1
Butt splice 111 971 939 B 1
Seal 357 972 741 B

Those are the parts you need to repair the ground wire. New Beetle
• Locate and remove terminal from coil connector T6a / 1 (see appropriate Wiring Diagram if necessary).
• Terminate this wire by neatly taping it to the existing wire harness (do not cut wire).
Golf, Jetta, New Beetle:
• Cut repair wire 000 979 225 to 22 inches (558.8 mm) and install new seal; then slide seal near terminal,
see→ Required Parts and Tools.
• Cut repair wire 000 979 230 to 12 inches (304.8 mm).
• Splice repair wires together using butt splice; see → Required Parts and Tools. Do not substitute any other
wires when making and assembling the repair wire.
• When finished: correct repair wire length = 34 inches (863.6 mm)
• Heat butt splice using a heat gun from Repair Kit, see → Required Parts and Tools.
Golf, Jetta:
• Insert terminal into cavity T6d / 1 of coil connector.
For New Beetle:
• Insert terminal into cavity T6a / 1 of coil connector.

As long as your style coil is the same as the later ones you will be OK. If your coil has the wires plugged in like a square pattern, do NOT do this and replace the coil. If they are plugged in like a line, then do this tsb first.

#5 ·
I'm having similar issues, but can't figure out which is the ground as I don't have a brown wire, but I do have an orange w. brown stripe.
Coil spring Auto part Suspension Wire Suspension part

Auto part Coil spring Suspension Fuel line Wire

I have 6 wires running from the ignition coil, 2 are a heavier gauge so I assume the ground is one of these but I didn't want to jump to any conclusions and mess something up. Any input would be great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.