Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
12K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Old Dog 
#1 ·
The last two days I have noticed that right before coming to a complete stop the brakes "catch". I can hear and feel a thump underneath the floor board. The car doesn't lurch to a stop, but there is definitely something going on right around the 10 mph marker during a stop. Has anyone experienced this? Could it be transmission based? It's an automatic.

#3 ·
I've had a similar issue for a few weeks now. When I'm coming to a stop at low speeds, there is kind of a slip or it feels like something is not catching. Does not happen when breaking from high speeds. I'm not a technical car guy, but I agree with le0n I believe its the transmission. I've tried putting the car in neutral when coming to a stop and its smooth like butter when I do that. When I drive in triptronic I notice I only feel the thud under the floor board when going from 2nd to 1st gear and visa versa. Taken it to dealer and they couldn't find anything. If it is due to the adaptive auto transmission and its part of the programming its a real issue that ruins the driving experience. I wonder if there is way to turn off the adaptive programming?

#4 ·
Try turning off or making sure auto hold is off. That affects the braking system at almost a complete stop.

#5 · (Edited)
I am so happy to find your post I have been struggling with the same issue for the past 10 months. My 2009 Tiguan does exactly the same thing. It does not happen everytime but often enough to leave you wondering everytime you come to a stop whether or not you are going to get the thump.

It is not the Autohold I never use it. I let the dealer know about it at the 3 month inspection and they shrugged it off saying they could not find anything.

Six months later when I was finally truly fedup with it I took it to adifferent dealer and they found a problem with the ABS and replaced the unit. I have had mine back for less than a week and it is doing it again! I suspect the transmission downshift too. It has totally ruined my enjoyment of this vehicle :(

Here is my post on the subject:
http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/1053-tiguan-brake-problem/page__p__7311

Did you ever resolve this issue?

#7 ·
I like to revive this discussion. I too have a 2009 Tiguan 4motion automatic transmission with an intermittent "thump" when slowing to a complete stop. I have brought the vehicle to the dealer at 3 months and again at 15 months for the same complaint. Unfortunately, they were not able to replicate the problem during a test drive.

I never use the autohold feature. The "thump" seems less pronounced when in Sports mode only because the engine seems to be revving higher when slowing down. It occurs with summer tires and winter tires as well.

Interesting that no 2010 Tiguan owners have noted this problem. Did the programming for the transmission get an update in 2010?

#10 ·
Interesting that no 2010 Tiguan owners have noted this problem. Did the programming for the transmission get an update in 2010?
Not quite. I have a 2010 Tiguan that does this, too - at first I thought it had something to do with potholes because it happens every time I hit the exact same pothole on the way home from work that's right before a stoplight (gotta love Michigan roads), but today someone in front of me braked quickly and it did it. I came to a stop just fine, but still had a moment of panic that I wouldn't stop. Has anyone had any luck finding the cause?

#8 ·
Come to a stop in neutral. Still do it?

#9 ·
Haven't tried to put transmission into neutral prior to stopping d/t how infrequently the thump happens. It could happen once or twice a month or sometimes several days in a row but not at every stop. I will try the neutral trick the next time it happens again.

But I would like to find out the cause of the thump. I just hope that the drivetrain is not subjected to any damage from the physical force involved.

#12 ·
OR, if they're all 4motion it could be the Haldex dropping into 50/50 front/rear torque split in preparation for the next takeoff. My diesel never goes into first unless it's in "S" and i haven't felt a clunk at all though, so it could be the shift from 2nd to 1st ??

Cheers

#15 ·
Hi, I bought a certified 2009 AWD Tiguan about a week ago and was shocked when I first experienced that "thump" while driving on snow. It seems it's not only my vehicle as I could see the similar problems from forums.
There was a bit of snow and the road was probably a bit slippery. When I came to a stop at low speed, I felt a shudder, and it even went a little further from where it was supposed to stop. Is it about ESP? or ABS? Should I start regretting for choosing this one over Honda CR-V?

#16 ·
:W: to the forum Kyeong Park. I believe what you are feeling here is the ABS system kicking in. Even when stopping at low speed on ice, if you start to slide the ABS starts working and can be disconcerting to some. The pedal starts jumping and things get a little noisy up front, but this is normal. With ABS it will require a slightly longer stopping distance as the brakes are being applied in a pulsating fashion. I assume this is what you mean by 'shudder' :confused:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.