Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

When I try to start my engine, I hear a clicking sound but nothing happen

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  NZTIGUAN 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I bought my Tiguan S manual transmission last month. Now the mileage is 300 miles. This morning I tried to start my engine, I heard a clicking sound from the instrument. The same sound happened when I switched on the windshield washers. Could anyone tell me what's going on?

Thanks

#2 ·
Do you have any power? Lights, radio, etc... if not I'd start with a flat battery as the most likely culprit.

If you do have power to these then it could be something more serious, key not being recognized, starter motor failure.... if you have a spare key you could try that otherwise its probably time to call the dealership.

#3 ·
Hope you haven't fitted an after-market radio ?? cos a number of people have had battery issues relating to that. If that's not the issue (or even if it is) you'll just have to jump start it (at least you have a manual) and get it to the dealer for checking. Could be a faulty battery or maybe some lights left on ??

Good luck.

Cheers

#4 ·
Hi,

Thank you very much for your answers. My words are somewhat misleading, forgive my poor English. In fact, everthing is normal (I am able to drive, radio and light also work properly) except a clicking sound when I ignite on my engine. Is this sound normal or a warning that means I might get trouble in the car battery or something like that.

#5 ·
Oh sorry.... ok.... hmm probably worth having the dealership take a look at it, could be any number of things but if the car is working OK I wouldn't be to worried about it at this point, if it's a clicking on start I'm assuming its something to with the ignition sequence (distributor cap / spark plugs / starter motor) but they can give you a more accurate answer.

#6 ·
No problem, happy to help. The Tig has a LOT of electronics, servos, relays etc etc and there's lots of clicks and buzzes and whirrs, nothing to worry about unless something goes wrong OK !!!

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.