Aftermarket Trailer Hitch Wiring
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aftermarket Trailer Hitch Wiring

Junior Member trusk is on a distinguished road trusk's Avatar
    Thanks

Aftermarket Trailer Hitch Wiring

I purchased an aftermarket class III hitch for my Tig. It fits perfectly with no modifications. My Tig has pre-wiring equipped in the back right near the hitch, however, there is no power going to the existing wiring.

Through some research, I heard that I must purchase a control module that will give power to the wiring. I read that the module is to be installed in the rear, left compartment above the wheel well. The problem is that the VW part costs over $300 just for the module!

I know that on some vehicles, you can splice into the rear tail light wiring, but the Tig owners manual says not to do this.

Does anyone know another way to power up the existing wiring for less money, but still have the computer know that there is a trailer connected. If done properly, the ESP will compensate for a trailer when it is connected.
    2009 Tiguan, 2.0T SE United States

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Guru Member NZTIGUAN has much to be proud of NZTIGUAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    No, you MUST have the correct module fitted or it will throw up errors all the time (it picks up the increased loadings on the various circuits) and NONE of the great safety features will be activated (the alarm, the esp changes to remove "trailer sway", abs changes etc). Sorry but as far as I know there's no cheap alternative or shortcut.
    Derek
    Alexandra
    New Zealand
    www.alexandra.co.nz
    On my second Tiguan, 2013, TDi, Night Blue, Park Assist 2, RCD510, Bluetooth, auto wipers and lights, fogs, tow pack.

New Member skyewasblue is on a distinguished road skyewasblue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trusk View Post
    I purchased an aftermarket class III hitch for my Tig. It fits perfectly with no modifications. My Tig has pre-wiring equipped in the back right near the hitch, however, there is no power going to the existing wiring.

Through some research, I heard that I must purchase a control module that will give power to the wiring. I read that the module is to be installed in the rear, left compartment above the wheel well. The problem is that the VW part costs over $300 just for the module!

I know that on some vehicles, you can splice into the rear tail light wiring, but the Tig owners manual says not to do this.

Does anyone know another way to power up the existing wiring for less money, but still have the computer know that there is a trailer connected. If done properly, the ESP will compensate for a trailer when it is connected.

Hi Trusk, was wondering why you would install a Class III hitch on a vehicle only rated for a Class I .

Junior Member trusk is on a distinguished road trusk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyewasblue View Post
    Hi Trusk, was wondering why you would install a Class III hitch on a vehicle only rated for a Class I .
    I just wanted the flexibilty to haul up to 3500 lbs if I need to. I wouldn't travel more than a few miles with that load, as the boat launch is less than a mile away. The hitch looks almost identical to the North American factory hitch that VW uses and that is the main reason I bought the one I did.
    2009 Tiguan, 2.0T SE United States

Guru Member NZTIGUAN has much to be proud of NZTIGUAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trusk View Post
    I just wanted the flexibilty to haul up to 3500 lbs if I need to. I wouldn't travel more than a few miles with that load, as the boat launch is less than a mile away. The hitch looks almost identical to the North American factory hitch that VW uses and that is the main reason I bought the one I did.
    Shouldn't be any issue really cos the Tig in the rest of the world (other than NA) is tow rated up to 2500 Kg (that's 5511.6 lb !!!!!). So 3500 lbs is a walk in the park for your Tig, just the crazy NA regulations that suggest it won't handle it.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    New Zealand
    www.alexandra.co.nz
    On my second Tiguan, 2013, TDi, Night Blue, Park Assist 2, RCD510, Bluetooth, auto wipers and lights, fogs, tow pack.

Junior Member prescaler is on a distinguished road prescaler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTIGUAN View Post
    Shouldn't be any issue really cos the Tig in the rest of the world (other than NA) is tow rated up to 2500 Kg (that's 5511.6 lb !!!!!). So 3500 lbs is a walk in the park for your Tig, just the crazy NA regulations that suggest it won't handle it.

Cheers
    NA standard is strange. My brother has a CR-V, which is rated to a very poor number here (around 600-700kg). In UK, same engine/transmission is rated to 1500kg.
    Black/Black 2.0 TSI with everything except dvd/nav

+ Reply to Thread