Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
26K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  manckid 
#1 ·
Got my Tiguan 3 months ago, there is an autohold problem happens from the day I collected it. When I activate autohold, the can is held by this function initially, however, squeaky sounds happen intermittently after around 30-40 seconds. It sounds like the car is trying to move (sometimes it did make real moves) and it's very scary. I've had my car back to the dealer twice, they found no problem with this function and keep telling that's not really a problem for this function. They even told me that this happens to Tuarag and Passat as well and don't worry about it. My question are: is there any owner experiences this problem? Do you guys think it's a serious safty issue?

#2 ·
Hi

Would really need a better explanation than "squeaky sounds happen" to have any idea. Is your Tig auto or manual ? 4motion or FWD ? is this on steep slopes ? or flat ? facing down or up ? does the vehicle REALLY move ? or just feel as if it might ? If the vehicle DOES move then there is certainly a fault, if it doesn't I'm not sure what the issue is.

On auto-hold my Tig is utterly silent and doesn't move a millimetre and I certainly haven't heard of the problem you describe before (there have been some initial issues with auto-hold on some Tigs that turned out to be faulty sensors but they didn't sound like yours at all).

#3 ·
Hello,

I think the "problem" might be when in (steep) uphill and/or in "creepdriving" on flats in ceues.

I have noticed the "squeaking" as if the brake pedal is *almost* released and the cars automatic transmission "forces" forward, and in steep uphill, where the car tends to roll backwards.

My "probelm" was that I did not push the brake pedal "hard enough" when stopping. Nowadays I always give the brake pedal an extra short firm push before releasing it.
The car is at complete standstill and the squeaking sound is on permanent vacation somwhere in another mans car ;)

#4 ·
You could be right Bikeridr as the auto-hold ONLY holds the brakes at the level you've applied them it doesn't activate the handbrake at all, so perhaps Dillon's so,lution is just to make sure he does brake "firmly" when he wants the auto-hold to work.

#5 ·
Thanks. my tig is 4wd, automatic. The problem happens everywhere, e.g. flat, up and down slope. I did try to break firmer but it still happens anyway. Dealer had done a full investigation on it and no findings. Just keep telling to break firmer until I demonstrate this to them. They were finally speechless and promise to check this problem with VW Germany.

#6 ·
Tig 4WD autom.(±6months) 11.500 km. I use that ev'where and ev'time I can. Never had a problem with it or any other problem at all. So I love this sytem and think it makes driving a lot more relaxing. The car never moved a mm and I let him in drive mode. Sorry the hear about your problem but for me it works great and I'm very happy about that function!

#7 ·
Thanks. my tig is 4wd, automatic. The problem happens everywhere, e.g. flat, up and down slope. I did try to break firmer but it still happens anyway. Dealer had done a full investigation on it and no findings. Just keep telling to break firmer until I demonstrate this to them. They were finally speechless and promise to check this problem with VW Germany.
Certainly sounds as if you have a fault in the system somewhere, hope they manage to sort the issue out for you as I can understand how annoying it must be.

Cheers

#8 ·
Hi Dillon

We posted a problem last week which sounds similar to yours. All problems from day one (new) till we returned the car (2.0 diesel SE manual) to the agent as a reject! (i) The autorelease fails to work (intermitently), (ii) on stopping the autobrake does not come on (intermitently), (iii) on starting after the car has been parked for a while if it is on a slight downhill gradient it will roll forward as you try and reverse and (iv) another intermitent problem when on a hill the car tells you to press the footbrake and release the handbrake - so how do you then start on a steep hill when autohold is not advised? (450 miles over one week with 2 different drivers)

The dealer has run a diagnostic check plus road test (10 miles or so) and say there is nothing wrong with the vehicle., they claim VW have no reports of any such problems etc. Claim we are not depressing the clutch fully - but does not fit with the facts or explain all the faults!

Are you in the UK? Have you heard of any similar problems that show that VW should know of the problem?

Regards

Cath and Glyn

#9 ·
another intermitent problem when on a hill the car tells you to press the footbrake and release the handbrake - so how do you then start on a steep hill when autohold is not advised? (450 miles over one week with 2 different drivers)
Regards

Cath and Glyn
The ONLY time it should tell you to to put your foot on the brake and release the hand-brake is if you don't have your seat-belt on ?? I assume you DO have it on ?? MAybe the problem is in the sensor that determines if your seat belt is on or not ?? Anybody tried that one ??

Cheers

#10 ·
Just a quick update on my last post as it wasn't entirely correct and remember I was talking about an automatic in my case. The "put foot on brake" symbol also comes up on an auto when you're putting the car into gear, in fact the gear lever won't move unless you do.

The other thing I thought of was you talk about this issue when you've been "parked for a while". If the car has been turned OFF then the "autohold" will be OFF as well UNTIL you reset it, has this been done ?? Also you talk about how to take off on a hill without "autohold", normally you wouldn't use "autohold" for this but the main "eBrake" which will automatically come off as you move away, this is when (on a manual) you MUST have pushed the clutch to the floor or the sensor wiull not pick up that you're starting off and so will not release the handbrake automatically and will "ask" you to put your foot on the brake and let the handbrake off manually. Does this make sense ?? The more I look at your posts the more I wonder if you're not confusing the "auto-hold" function (has its own separate switch) with the basic "eBrake" which acts as a handbrake BUT will automatically release as you move off IF you have your seatbelt on AND in the case of a manual you have pressed the clutch to the floor.

Cheers

#11 ·
Hi

Thanks again for the thoughts. Wec stopped using the autphold as soon as we noticed a problem so that the whole use of brakes etc was simplified. The faults occur (tho intermitently) even when the full procedure specified in the manual is followed. The brakes are an essemtial safety system so their intermittent behaviour undermines all confidence in the car. No one has come up with any reason other than failure to depress the clutch fully why any of the problems should occur but even this does not explain all the four separate faults and why separate people should experience this problem.

I note that a number of people have issues where VW state they can find no fault record on the diagnostics so no fault with the car. A couple odf years ago the engine on my wifes BMW 1 series cut out in the fast lane of the motorway, surprise surprise no fault was logged but it happened - we sold the car at a loss as BMW would notv recognise the problem. The fault log is only as good as the design, what happens to failures outwith the design basis?? Not logged clearly!!

All thoughts on this issue would be helpfull!!??

Regards and thanks

Cath and Glyn

#12 ·
I had my Tiguan back to the main dealer last week to update the software of the autohold function. I've tried the function these few days, and it seems that VW has sort out the problem. I suggest you ask the dealer to contact VW Germany, they should have solution now.

#13 ·
Hi Dillon

Many thanks for that response, very helpful. What exactly was the problem you had? We stopped using autohold to simplify use and understanding of what was going on. Our dealer insists VW have had no autohold or autobrake faults reported! Are you with a UK dealer?

Cathandglyn

#15 ·
There may be a problem out there with "some" Tigs but operator error is still what i've seen most, some people just don't "get" how it should be used and when. The "problem" is almost totally with manuals from what I've seen and I know that some owners have found eventually that it was driver error NOT a system fault.

#16 ·
Hi Cathandglyn,

I am in Taiwan. However, the situation was exactly the same as yours. The engineer didn't want to admit that it was a fault. They explained to me that it is how it has been designed. They even told me that other customers can accept their explaination and no one reacted like I did. Until I shut at few of them and keep calling their service centre, the manager finally was convinced and start to contact the VW Germany. Here is the point I made to them: 1. If this function is designed to stop the car, there shouldn't be any reason for the can to move itself after 1minutes even 1 hour. 2. If the car move when my foot is not on the break padel, anything could happen e.g. mis hit the accelation and run into the car or padestrian in front.

#17 ·
Hi Cathandglyn,

I am in Taiwan. However, the situation was exactly the same as yours. The engineer didn't want to admit that it was a fault. They explained to me that it is how it has been designed. They even told me that other customers can accept their explaination and no one reacted like I did. Until I shut at few of them and keep calling their service centre, the manager finally was convinced and start to contact the VW Germany. Here is the point I made to them: 1. If this function is designed to stop the car, there shouldn't be any reason for the can to move itself after 1minutes even 1 hour. 2. If the car move when my foot is not on the break padel, anything could happen e.g. mis hit the accelation and run into the car or padestrian in front.
For drying out loud it's NOT an automatic hand-brake that can read your mind and know when you want to be stopped and or moving. ALL it does is MAINTAIN the brake pressure once you have stopped. IF you haven't applied sufficient brake pressure to maintain the vehicle in the stationary position it WILL still move. If you don't want the car to move APPLY the hand-brake, the same as any other car.

#18 ·
Hi Cathandglyn,

For crying out loud it's NOT an automatic hand-brake that can read your mind and know when you want to be stopped and or moving. ALL it does is MAINTAIN the brake pressure once you have stopped. IF you haven't applied sufficient brake pressure to maintain the vehicle in the stationary position it WILL still move. If you don't want the car to move APPLY the hand-brake, the same as any other car OR make sure you have pressed the foot-brake firmly enough that the car won't move by itself.

#20 ·
Hi Derek,

Believe me that the updated software is much smarter and solves all issues I raised at the first place.
That's great, I hadn't heard of any updated software fro this issue. Sorry my post above appeared twice, I tried to fix a spelling mistake as it went in and ended up with it posting twice and you can't edit anything in this forum. Glad to hear your system is working well for you now. I have heard of a few people who really didn't know how to use the system properly (I think it was never explained to them properly) and it always turned out to be "operator error" but I'm glad there was a "fix" available for yours.

Cheers

#21 ·
In the updated system, you don't need to step on the pedal too firm. You only need to gently break to stop and it will hold the car for you. I was thinking that they my strengthen power holding the break and may affect releasing the break. However, it turns out to be even more sharp and sophisticated than before.

#22 ·
In the updated system, you don't need to step on the pedal too firm. You only need to gently break to stop and it will hold the car for you. I was thinking that they my strengthen power holding the break and may affect releasing the break. However, it turns out to be even more sharp and sophisticated than before.
Excellent to know, thanks for that.

Cheers

#23 ·
Hi Dillon

Glad to hear you got your problems sorted out. Here in the Uk the dealer would not accept or believe there was a problem so we finally gave up and rather than take the risk of sticking with a problem car got them to buy it back. We did not get the full price we paid back (as required under Uk law) as they claimed that VW did not accept the autohold problem as a fault and that the car performed as per design.

We now have a RAV 4 which does not have any of the problems of the Tiguan, is a lot more fun to drive and with the rear seats out has an amazing carrying capacity.

A shame we lost about £1500 on the buy back but we are both relieved to drive and park with confidence that the brakes will work!!

regards

cath and glyn

#24 ·
Sorry, but even if my Tig was a write-off I wouldn't be seen dead in a Rav4, it was the worst of the rest in my opinion. Still at least it's away more basic so less to go wrong I suppose.

#25 ·
Although this problem was resolved in 2009, I had a similar problem recently. The dealer could not find any fault because it was an intermittent problem which was not present when in the workshop. However, I kept a diary for two weeks and took the car back in. This time, the technician could replicate the problem and was able to pin it down to a malfunction in the starter switch. A new switch has now resolved the issue. Basically, the faulty starter switch was occasionally sending a signal to the auto hold system that the ignition system was OFF. This caused the auto hold to turn itself off in response.

#26 ·
I have a two year-old Tiguan with Autohold and Electronic Park Brake (EPB) which I have permanently ON... was great for until last September. I pulled up on a slight slope left the car and when I got back the car had rolled backwards... no warning lights, fault codes (service checked). I have the seatbelt on when setting off, otherwise the EPB won't release. Since then, it has happened about 3 more times... It doesn't seem to matter how hard I brake (as long as I have reasonable pressure on the pedal).
The first time (September) I don't really know what had set or not set as I wasn't really paying attention.
The second time (October) was in the garage (flat) and I don't know about AutoHold, but the EPB didn't come on.
Third time (mid December) was on a slight downhill in a service station and again, don't know about Autohold but EPB failed to come on
Last time I think that the AutoHold function had not engaged at all and definitely braked positively (I mention that due to the description of the system on VW's website):

The system is operated via the ABS/ESP hydraulic unit. When you brake your
car to a stop, Auto Hold keeps the braking pressure you last applied. You can
take your foot off the brake pedal and all four wheel brakes will stay on.

If the ABS wheel speed sensors detect any rolling, the braking force is
automatically increased until your car comes to a standstill again. This may be
the case if, for example, you brake gently to a stop on a hill. As soon as you
press the accelerator again and, in the case of manual gearboxes, release the
clutch, Auto Hold reduces the braking pressure again.
The car has been to VW and No Fault Found, but given how intermittent it is, I'm not surprised... Anyone else had this fun?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.