Must stop speed warning beeps - yes I have read the manual!
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Must stop speed warning beeps - yes I have read the manual!

Junior Member PeterTC is on a distinguished road PeterTC's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Must stop speed warning beeps - yes I have read the manual!

Hi, just bought my new Tiguan 147 Auto. How do I disable the speed warning beeps that start at 120kph? I am driving in the UAE between Dubai and Abu Dhabi - where your car gets impounded if you're doing over 200kph but 140kph is normal - so dont say slow down. With leather, panorama roof, sat nav, reverse camera - the tiguan is brilliant but the beeps drive me nuts. Yes, i have read the manual and applied the rules on page 21 which say hit the okay button and within 5 seconds adjust the speed warning on the MFD to what you want. i have set the damned thing to zero(----) and 160 and just about everything else but everytime it still starts to beep at 120 - (which is the official speed limit over here by the way so I am thinking this is maybe a factory setting or something). If I cant stop this I would actually consider selling the car even though it's the most fun I've had since my 2litre turbo diesel Golf. Please Help!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Update

Spoke to the dealer today and was advised it IS a UAE regulation thing that all new cars over have the speed warning set at 120kph. CRAZY!!! The speed limit over here is 120kph on lovely 8 lane highways. The road connecting Abu Dhabi to Dubai is spectacular and there are lots of long straight multi lane roads through the desert connecting far flung interesting places - so I cant even do the speed limit in my new car that rates 5 out of 5 stars in the European crash test safety standards for passengers with an anoying ping ping ping, (its the same little bell noise that goes off when your fuel is low). I am still seeking answer as to how to disable it - any VW mechanics who know how to reset this - please!!

Guru Member NZTIGUAN has much to be proud of NZTIGUAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'll bet you dollars to donuts it's something that can be reset by the dealer (if he will !!) or by somebody with vag-com (the public system for changing the computer settings in a VW). Problem is, how do you convince the dealer or find somebody who has vag-com. Is there a VW owners club anywhere near you ?? they'd be bound to have somebody who could get around the system I would think !!

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    New Zealand
    www.alexandra.co.nz
    On my second Tiguan, 2013, TDi, Night Blue, Park Assist 2, RCD510, Bluetooth, auto wipers and lights, fogs, tow pack.

Junior Member GatorgirlVW is on a distinguished road GatorgirlVW's Avatar
    Thanks
    it's something that you can shut off or change the speed in your dash computer. i don't remember exactly which option it's listed under but it's a real easy fix, just select the speed warning and shut it off. hope this helps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorgirlVW View Post
    it's something that you can shut off or change the speed in your dash computer. i don't remember exactly which option it's listed under but it's a real easy fix, just select the speed warning and shut it off. hope this helps.
    I suspect it isn't as easy as that in your Country, the issue you have is that it's a requirement of your government that the warning be there !!!! so I guess it's factory set and can only be changed (removed) by somebody who has the knowhow and instruments to "have a wee chat" to your Tig's computers !!!

They used to have the warning on 2nd hand *** imports we get in NZ (set to 100kph !!!) and the only real way to get rid of them was to tear out the wiring to the speaker under the dash.

Good luck.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    New Zealand
    www.alexandra.co.nz
    On my second Tiguan, 2013, TDi, Night Blue, Park Assist 2, RCD510, Bluetooth, auto wipers and lights, fogs, tow pack.

Junior Member mars4lux is on a distinguished road mars4lux's Avatar
    Thanks
    like the seat belt warning sign its pre-set- you cant disengage in the MFD
    but you cud try a reset on the speed warning - the lovely 8 lane hi way between dubai and abu dhabi used to be 2 lanes- overun with camels and a nasty set of speed bumps as you crossed the emirate boundary..
    candy white 2.0 tdi 170ps-sport and style-xenon lites-park assist-boston wheels -rcd 510 offroad/winter/mirror pack- full alarm- engine protection guards - delivered and on the road 11 aug 08

Thanks

Update - thanks

Thanks everyone, I will chase it up through the dealers and see what I can find re clubs etc. Yeah, it's a factory setting thing required by law over here. It is the only bummer in an otherwise dreamy car but I wont sell her... I'm hooked. Got stuck on the beach the other day, (I dont have the off road option but I dont think that matters with 4 motion and ESP etc) just let some air out of the tyres and off we toddled as happy as you please.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterTC View Post
    Got stuck on the beach the other day, (I dont have the off road option but I dont think that matters with 4 motion and ESP etc) just let some air out of the tyres and off we toddled as happy as you please.
    It's great that at least somebody knows what to do in sand !!!! so many people would have just sat there and spun the wheels deeper and deeper !!!

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    New Zealand
    www.alexandra.co.nz

New Member tiguan@dubai is on a distinguished road tiguan@dubai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterTC View Post
    Thanks everyone, I will chase it up through the dealers and see what I can find re clubs etc. Yeah, it's a factory setting thing required by law over here. It is the only bummer in an otherwise dreamy car but I wont sell her... I'm hooked. Got stuck on the beach the other day, (I dont have the off road option but I dont think that matters with 4 motion and ESP etc) just let some air out of the tyres and off we toddled as happy as you please.
    You can have the beep removed at the VW workshop. I went to the one in Dubai (near the airport). It will take you at least on hour, but its worth it.

Keep in mind that new speed camera's are installed all around UAE. They not only measure your actual speed but also the average speed between two points. Besides that they dont flash anymore.....

Junior Member VWsince94 is on a distinguished road VWsince94's Avatar
    Thanks
    I was able to adjust mine far beyond the max speed in the states right on the menu. I called the service at the dealership and they talked me through it. Maybe they can help you with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VWsince94 View Post
    I was able to adjust mine far beyond the max speed in the states right on the menu. I called the service at the dealership and they talked me through it. Maybe they can help you with it.
    His problem is that his is a factory set warning that's a requirements where he is NOT the infinitely adjustable setting that's available through the MDF, so he has to have it "removed" with a program change rather than being able to alter it (and turn it on and off) himself.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    New Zealand
    www.alexandra.co.nz

Thanks
    Hi guys, just back from a couple of weeks in Europe and ready to catch up, (yeah, life's tough - but thats why we came here, the chance to travel). I am up to 11,000 klms so might be able to get this 'adjusted' at the first service. I did discover one solution on my way to Dubai yesterday, turn up the radio!!

VWsince94 - good suggestion, lets hope VW in Abu Dhabi have reasonable english because my Arabic sucks and if you're attempting to discuss anything complicated it all falls apart pretty quick.

Tiguan@Dubai lets make contact about those cameras. Are you talking about the Dubai ones that are tall and skinny or the Abu Dhabi ones that are short fat boxes. Since the fines are attached to your registration we dont even know we've been booked here until you go to re register your car, at least that's what I've been told. I want to know more.

Thanks everyone, this site is a big help.
    PeterC Sport4M T A6A TT 147kw CAWB
    BOM C7J GOR HW2 JOL D2L
    1AT 1G9 2ZB 1NL 5RT 5SR TQ2
    8AY 8GU 8ZH
    1X1 1LJ QG1

+ Reply to Thread