Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
81K views 247 replies 186 participants last post by  77RadWick 
G
#1 ·
Tell us a little about yourself....

G
#2 ·
Here, I'll start.

Hi, My name is actually Ken Nix, I'm the owner / founder / admin for several automotive forums. I used to sell cars for Toyota, Honda and of course Volkswagen. I always lived and worked in small towns and dealerships. Where you develop a relationship with your clientèle and loyalty means a lot.

In 2000 I moved to the city and went to work for a big dealership. Honestly, I didn't do so well. I knew the product better than anyone in the dealerships, But something was missing. I finally realized what it was. I had a conscience. In the city, things are different, people are different. Everyone, both the client and your employer has the same attitude. What have you done for me in the last 5 minutes.

The final straw was when I got hurt at the last dealership I worked for, and was told 3 days later after I had been at work for 3 hours, that I was actually fired 30 minutes before I got hurt. I was denied Workmans comp and Unemployment. Of course not all dealers are bad. As a matter of fact, I still think that dealer has some good qualities. Otherwise, I would have never worked for them to begin with. I don't blame the dealership or the owners, just the management.

Think of a dealership as a Peach tree. The managers are the farmers. You can have a beautiful tree, but if it isn't cared for correctly, you'll get a lot of crappy fruit. Many people blame the dealer for problem people. Most dealers have no idea they have a problem person until it's too late. Managers are very good at hiding top performers bad habits and problems from owners. If you have a problem with a dealer, don't just write the sales manager, write the owner. let him or her know that you're pissed. That way they can fix it.

I have the same problem on my forums. If you don't let me know there is a problem with a moderator or the software or whatever, how am I suppose to know? I can promise you I can't read minds. If I did, I'd be living in Vegas not the great northwest.

My fist big site was a Honda Odyssey site. A friend sent me spy pics of the first 2005 Odyssey. I didn't have much on it, but it kicked but. I was a member of an Ody forum and they banned me because they felt members were leaving because of me. (actually, I sent thousands of people to their site) I decided I wanted my own forum.

My first forum was a failure, it was ridgelineclub.com. I had about 800 members and being new to running forums, was stomped on by hackers. Not once, but like 20 times. once so bad my host was scared of the malicious scripts they implanted and wouldn't give me my backups.

Luckily I had 2 competitors who decided to clue me in a little bit of what I did wrong. They ran the Ridgeline4wd.com and RidgelineOwnersClub.com boards. So, I waited, took my time, spend months learning how to run a forum, modded for some small forums, got my p's and q's together and planned to launch a forum with the launch of the new VW GTI.

Lucky me I got some VW celebrity visitors, Kerri Martin and a few CP+B employees. Then Alex Bogusky of CP+B told Business Week readers to visit my site. That was great, but I wasn't prepared for 300,000 hits per day and lost service. I also lost my host, they were scared to death of another bombardment. I moved to a bigger account but then was bombarded by a incredible 13 year old hacker from Turkey, why? because a Turkish coworker told him he owned my website.

Now it's 2 years later, and I've got a degree from the forum school of hard knocks. Of course majoring in computer programming for 2 years at a technical school probably helped, I think most of my knowledge came from the school where you got the sh*&^ kicked out of you. ;)

Okay, I told you my boring story, now let's hear yours.

#3 ·
Hello. My name is Chrys and I am from Cyprus. I am a computer scientist graduate and I am currently looking for a job.

I recently ordered a VW Tiguan. The only problem is that I will get it in about a year. Meanwhile the company will provide me with a nice new Golf.

That's about it...

Regards
Chrys

#6 ·
Hi,

My name is Peter and I live in Sweden and work with computers (or actually their storage needs).

I just ordered my Tiguan Track & Field TDI 140 tiptronic, today.
But I'll have to wait until July before I get it, it's likely to be built late June.

/// Peter

PS. It was released over here in January, a friend of mine already got hers (ordered in November).

#7 ·
My name is Kim and I live in Dallas, TX. I have a 2000 Passat which just hit 100,000 miles. The repair shop is telling me I need to replace the timing belt (though it looks fine) and replace the mass air-flow sensor. I am hoping it will hold out until I can test drive the new Tiquan.

I test drove the Honda CRV and did not like it. I think the VW will have everything I want!

#8 ·
Hi my name is Rob and I Live in Leicestershire England. I have driven VW's for the past 12 years starting with a mk4 Golf1.9 SE TDI, then a Bora1.9TDI SE 140 BHP and then a Touran 1.9TDI (I like diesels!) I have purchased a black Tiguan 2.0TDI 140 SE and I am due to pick it up this Friday (14 March). As I ordered a stock SE with no optional extras there were a few already built so I get it early. I will post on fri night after I have been for a long drive.

#9 ·
My name is Francisco and I live El Paso, TX. I've driven 3 different VW new beetles (2 of them 2.0; 2003 and 2005, 1 turbo; 2000) and 2 Toyotas (a camry; 1998 and a 2000 celica). This will be the second time I've purchased a new vehicle, the first was a 2005 Nissan Murano that my wife drives and I'm driving the 2005 2.0 new beetle. I've been in the market for a new vehicle for about 6 months now. We have a beautiful 15 month old and we really didn't like the idea of strapping a baby-seat into such a small car, so we always drove the family around in the Murano. But sometimes its a hassle having only 1 car to drive the baby in. So I started researching for a new car and I had a couple of options. The factors I considered, in no particular order were:
1- height clearance (I liked the height of an SUV, but I didn't want a large SUV)
2- MPG! I drive about 60 miles a day, so with the current price of gas it important to me to get good gas mileage.
3- design and gadgets! I love cool features and gadgets like bluetooth, keyless ignition, xm radio...
4- best bang for my buck at around $22k
So given the above I was looking for a compact SUV. For a time I considered hybrids, but the options available i.e. Prius and the premium to purchase, quickly dissuaded me.
I liked the new Nissan Rogue and with the CVT it was at almost an acceptable MPG. I was close to purchasing one in November, but the design didn't give me that I want it now vibe, so I put off purchasing it, because I felt that there had to be something better on the market. I've always loved the design and features of VW. So in January when I was browsing one of the auto show websites I discovered the Tiguan and I fell in love instantly! For me VW has always embodied style, function and that I want it vibe! It's the little features that come with the German engineering that make me a die hard fan. For example:
-the fact that once you reach a certain speed the doors lock.
-the ability to listen to the radio once the key is out of the ignition.
-when you hit the same preset button on the radio it doesn't interrupt what you are listening to.
-the slow retractable overhead hand rest, it doesn't thump when you release it.
-the multi-adjustable bucket seats
-the cool blue dash lights
-the full size spare
-.....and I'll stop at that.
VW didn't offer anything in the compact UV niche and obviously the Toureg was too large and too thristy for me. I've always loved the Jetta but because of my line of work I wanted a vehicle with a higher height clearence. The Tiguan has it all for me. Even better the available TDI is exactly what I was looking for, great MPG! So... that leaves me were I am today... waiting for the US release of the TDI Tiguan, in red please! Even if it means 2009!

#11 ·
Hey, I'm a VW salesman from Kansas, USA and look forward to the Tiguan release. I've been looking for a vehicle to suit my hobbies, and think this will work great. I'm really looking forward to the TDi.

Btw, love the site, i'm glad there's somewhere us Tiguan nerds can hang out. :-D

#13 ·
I'm Greg and I live near Dayton, Ohio.

I'm an avid VW fan and have driven them all my life (except for a stupid Malibu company car once).

Currently I own a 2001 Golf TDI and 2001 Passat V6. I drive the TDI and the wife has the Passat. I have 135,000 milees on my TDI. Wouldn't give it up for the world...especially since I just paid it off!

My first car in high school (mid 90's) was a 81 Rabbit diesel. Drove it until 250K and then drove a 1986 Golf Diesel - until selling it with 230 on it.

So I'm a diesel nut and can't wait for the Tiguan TDI. We'll be trading in the Passat (or selling privately) for a Tiguan. I have my hopes set high for the TDI release, but I'm gonna grab the gasser ASAP. I left a message for my favorite salesman tonight!

Hope to hang around here a bit once people own them to trade stories, tips and fixes. Great site so far...thanks!

#14 ·
I'm Dave and I'm currently in Des Moines, Iowa. I drive a 2008 Rabbit 4-door (UG/Auto), but we need a larger second car and I think the Tiguan is going to be just perfect for us. I'm especially looking forward to the panoramic sunroof, and the parking assist sounds just too sci-fi for words!

I keep hearing that the delivery date for the Tiguan has been pushed back until sometime this summer, which is a lot later than I had originally hoped. But you know the old saying about those who wait...

#15 ·
Hi I'm Craig from AZ. I'm new to VW's and have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Tiguan. I really don't know what to expect from a VW as I 've never driven one. The only VW I've ever even ridden in was modified Bug back in high school.

I'm interested in a new small SUV and I don't care for the styling of the RAV4, Escape/Tribute, CRV, Tucson, etc, etc. I currently drive an '02 Tribute that I really like. I don't want to get a new vehicle just for the sake of getting something new and that's what it seems like when I looked at all the others. So I have high hopes for the Tiguan. I'm interested in decent MPG and I hope the 2.0 does well. I get 22 consistently in my V6 Tribute and I hope to improve on that.

#16 ·
I'm Greg and I live near Dayton, Ohio.

I'm an avid VW fan and have driven them all my life (except for a stupid Malibu company car once).

Currently I own a 2001 Golf TDI and 2001 Passat V6. I drive the TDI and the wife has the Passat. I have 135,000 milees on my TDI. Wouldn't give it up for the world...especially since I just paid it off!

My first car in high school (mid 90's) was a 81 Rabbit diesel. Drove it until 250K and then drove a 1986 Golf Diesel - until selling it with 230 on it.

So I'm a diesel nut and can't wait for the Tiguan TDI. We'll be trading in the Passat (or selling privately) for a Tiguan. I have my hopes set high for the TDI release, but I'm gonna grab the gasser ASAP. I left a message for my favorite salesman tonight!

Hope to hang around here a bit once people own them to trade stories, tips and fixes. Great site so far...thanks!
Well, no Tiguan for me....YET. Sadly, I was laid off from my job on Thursday. After 3 years with a large retail headquarters, I must start over. This unfortunately puts a crimp in any Tiguan ownership. However, once I've secured that re-start on a new career at a new place, the Tiguan will be back in sight!

Till then, I'll be surfing the site to see how much people love their new rides. What they like and don't like and how I can use that to my advantage in hopefully a few months.

#18 ·
Hi

I'm Derek from New Zealand, just ordered my Tiguan for delivery in 6 weeks. I put a bit of an introduction and a bit about NZ Tiguans in the "New to the Forum" section.

Can't wait to hear how all the "ordered" Tiguans come out, is it true that you don't get the diesel or the off-road version in the USA ?

Cheers

Derek

#19 ·
Test drive today

I am a new member. I drove a white SE 4 Motion today at VW North Scottsdale. I was impressed with the speed and handling. It was also very quiet, so I will most likely get one. I may wait until the diesel arrives; I had a Dasher diesel a number of years ago and it regularly got 45 mpg or better. It would be nice to see this again.

#20 ·
new member living in Cyprus

I ordered a candy white Track&Field 1.4TSI in late Jan 08, delivery date is in July 08...we will see if VW keeps the date, I keep fingers crossed... as I am in Cyprus this will be a right-hand drive model. I chose the rear side airbags option so the rumors that this causes delays in delivery make me worry. Anyone got any news on this? great site, hope to shorten the wait by hanging around and then exchange experiences once the thing finally arrives!!! cheers, Gerald

#22 ·
Hello all. Bought my Tiguan yesterday here in southern California. Alpine Grey SEL 4motion with charcoal leather, pan roof, and rear side airbags. This seems to be the only color SEL in the first shipment in the area. We really liked the Candy White, but the only ones around are SE with no pan roof and the sandstone cloth. They had a blue SE with the pan roof but that color just doesn't work for us. Considered ordering, would have been worth the wait, however an internet manager came through with an awesome deal and we jumped on it.

Love the car. Had considered the LR2 but the price increase from the SE to the HSE just didn't make sense and the SEs are getting scarce.

#23 ·
I'm DMC... I live at a ski area in New York State.

" Totaled" my Subaru Forester last week - a complete loss. Hit a moose in New Hampshire the damage was pretty extensive.. To the car and the poor moose.

Started looking into the Tiguan Monday and drove one home last night..

It's a pretty sweet ride... Way more fun to drive then my Subaru...

Psyched to share info and learn a little...

#24 ·
We just got our White Gold SEL Monday. Traded our 2004 V8 Touareg for the Tiguan. The 2.0 Turbo has just as much acceleration as the Touareg and handles better. Ride is more sporty and it gets way better gas mileage. We were getting 14 to 15 mpg with the Touareg and are getting 22 to 23 mpg with the Tiguan. Only option we didn't get was the Nav. Dealer told us it was a 3 to 6 month wait since that was on hold for the US. Will probably get a portable nav so we can just take it with us.

Love this car, it is great fun to drive. We had a turbo New Beetle before the Touareg and the Tiguan feels like a cross between the two.