Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
19K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Carlz8787 
#1 ·
I hear a clicking noise coming from the steering system... I move the steering wheel a little to the left then right I hear a weird click especially from the right side... Right front wheel.
I took the car to the dealer to see if it's normal. A tech came out and took a look. He said it's NOT normal and they'll have to lift the car to see what's wrong. But I was given an appointement in 2 weeks. I fear something would break in the suspension till then. Anyone knows what this would be?

Thanks

#2 ·
its probly your spring rotating on the bottom cup. I have the same noise happening (moose can vouch). He says theres nothing to be worried about. Are you one stock springs? If so then I would be a little more worried.

#3 ·
Yes I'm on stock springs.
I actually started noticing that noise right after I brought the car back from the service. They had the 32k service done it and that includes rotating the wheels. Don't know if that's related.

#6 ·
No it's not like a typewriter. It's coming more from the right wheel I'd say and that's what the tech said as well. I don't hear it when I drive. Only when I park the car or if the car is on and I move the steering wheel while parked.

I believe these things are covered by the warranty? I don't want them to invent theories and tell me you may have hit a big pothole and it broke so it's not covered.

#7 ·
When the strut bearing becomes worn the spring makes a type of thud/twang type noise when t urnning at low speeds. If this is the case it's nothing to be too worried about until it's replaced.

#8 ·
Thanks Nitro. Yes it definitely doesn't happen at high speeds, only when I'm rolling the car or parking it. So you must be right. It's weird though that it happens to a car that is only 2 years old!
I presume this kind of things is covered by the warranty? What do you think?

#9 ·
If you fall within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period then yes. Sometimes the bearings just dry up or water/dirt/salt gets in and makes them difficult to spin.

#11 ·
Thanks for sharing the update! Reading the comments you had I thought perhaps the rack could be binding among other possibilities, if you didn't have power steering you'd really feel the "click" when turning the wheel. I had this happen once AT speed (120mph) turn 1 at Sebring, steering locked up... not fun. Anyways glad you got it sorted out!

#12 ·
Very good. These racks have been very reliable! I've probably replaced 6 or so electric racks in the past 5 years...including a recalled one on a CC.

#14 ·
x50 when compared to the hydraulic ones lol.

#17 ·
Im having a similar problem with our 08 rabbit. When stopped and you turn the wheel side to side you hear a distinct clunk. The outer TREs are tight, so i assume it's in deeper. you can really hear it at the right front wheel.

The dealer, Berge VW, told me it's normal and caused by the rear suspension... seriously.

#18 ·
Quick back and forth movements may give a slight clunk. A heavy clunk is probably in the rack itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.