VW Rabbit Forum " Clicking noise from the Steering System" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clicking noise from the Steering System

Member VWF1 is just really nice VWF1's Avatar
    Thanks

Clicking noise from the Steering System

I hear a clicking noise coming from the steering system... I move the steering wheel a little to the left then right I hear a weird click especially from the right side... Right front wheel.
    I took the car to the dealer to see if it's normal. A tech came out and took a look. He said it's NOT normal and they'll have to lift the car to see what's wrong. But I was given an appointement in 2 weeks. I fear something would break in the suspension till then. Anyone knows what this would be?

Thanks
    It's duck season!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Thanks
    its probly your spring rotating on the bottom cup. I have the same noise happening (moose can vouch). He says theres nothing to be worried about. Are you one stock springs? If so then I would be a little more worried.
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

Thanks
    Yes I'm on stock springs.
    I actually started noticing that noise right after I brought the car back from the service. They had the 32k service done it and that includes rotating the wheels. Don't know if that's related.
    It's duck season!

Guru Member BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK has a brilliant future BIGGREEK's Avatar
    Thanks
    i doubt it, let us know what happens!
    I LIKE TO PUT RIDICULOUSLY BIG PICTURES IN MY SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan1Jr View Post
    blast my nuts
    08 Golf ; 03 F350; 86 K5 Blazer
    00 TDI Jetta ; 10 Charger; 87 Toyota Pickup
    87 Golf; 89 4Runner; 94 Kawi Vulcan

Senior Member zurichrocket is a jewel in the rough zurichrocket's Avatar
    Thanks
    like a typewriter? coming from the steering column? If so, then its a bad relay switch.
    2008 2 door UG ARMY

Thanks
    No it's not like a typewriter. It's coming more from the right wheel I'd say and that's what the tech said as well. I don't hear it when I drive. Only when I park the car or if the car is on and I move the steering wheel while parked.

I believe these things are covered by the warranty? I don't want them to invent theories and tell me you may have hit a big pothole and it broke so it's not covered.
    It's duck season!

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    When the strut bearing becomes worn the spring makes a type of thud/twang type noise when t urnning at low speeds. If this is the case it's nothing to be too worried about until it's replaced.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

Thanks
    Thanks Nitro. Yes it definitely doesn't happen at high speeds, only when I'm rolling the car or parking it. So you must be right. It's weird though that it happens to a car that is only 2 years old!
    I presume this kind of things is covered by the warranty? What do you think?
    It's duck season!

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you fall within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period then yes. Sometimes the bearings just dry up or water/dirt/salt gets in and makes them difficult to spin.

This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Thanks

Re: Clicking noise from the Steering System

This is an update...
    The problem was with the steering rack itself. It was replaced under warranty.
    It's duck season!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VWF1 For This Useful Post:

61scout80 (11-01-2010)

Member jdagracing is just really nice jdagracing's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VWF1 View Post
    This is an update...
    The problem was with the steering rack itself. It was replaced under warranty.
    Thanks for sharing the update! Reading the comments you had I thought perhaps the rack could be binding among other possibilities, if you didn't have power steering you'd really feel the "click" when turning the wheel. I had this happen once AT speed (120mph) turn 1 at Sebring, steering locked up... not fun. Anyways glad you got it sorted out!

I'm broke
    Thanks

Very good. These racks have been very reliable! I've probably replaced 6 or so electric racks in the past 5 years...including a recalled one on a CC.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    Very good. These racks have been very reliable! I've probably replaced 6 or so electric racks in the past 5 years...including a recalled one on a CC.
    Comforting....

I'm broke
    Thanks

x50 when compared to the hydraulic ones lol.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    That's exactly what the tech at the dealer said. They're very reliable and this was only the second time they replace a steering rack for a rabbit at that dealer. The tech suspected it could be related to an accident I had with the car a couple of months ago... which I doubt myself because it was an accident at very very low speeds. I was rolling back to get out of a parking lot and I didn't see a pillar on my left... that pillar hit the left fender and got under it, it grabbed it along with the front bumper. All this happened in a second.
    The front wheel didn't even touch the pillar that's why I doubt the problem with the steering rack would be related.
    It's duck season!

Thanks

I just like that there is no cavitation when turning the steering wheel, nice and smooth... and if they're more reliable... go wabbit go

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jdagracing For This Useful Post:

61scout80 (11-01-2010)

Junior Member 61scout80 is just really nice 61scout80's Avatar
    Thanks

Im having a similar problem with our 08 rabbit. When stopped and you turn the wheel side to side you hear a distinct clunk. The outer TREs are tight, so i assume it's in deeper. you can really hear it at the right front wheel.

The dealer, Berge VW, told me it's normal and caused by the rear suspension... seriously.
    Wanted: (1) 17" 5x100 ASA LS8. please PM me if you know where I can find one.

MKIV Jetta ALH TDI. Billstein shocks/struts, muffler delete and 45 mpg
    MKV Rabbit. stock. junk. nuff said.
    '87 jep XJ, 6.5" rusty's long arm, deaver race springs in the back, locked front and rear and a ton more.

I'm broke
    Thanks

Quick back and forth movements may give a slight clunk. A heavy clunk is probably in the rack itself.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

+ Reply to Thread