VW Rabbit Forum " New Windshield" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Windshield

Junior Member sruchris is a jewel in the rough sruchris's Avatar
    Thanks

New Windshield

I need to replace the cracked, glue-in windshield on my 84 Rabbit with a new one. I've never had any glass work done before. Are all replacement windshields the same? Are some better than others? Should I even bother getting a price from VW? I got a quote from a company called Safelite for $219 + tax which seems reasonable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks
    That is a good a price as I have seen. There are a couple of questions that you might ask, as the 84 Windshield wasn't glued in normally.... if yours has the Chrome trim around the gasket, will theirs too?
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Guru Member DocOctavius is a jewel in the rough DocOctavius's Avatar
    Thanks
    Also make damn sure they prime the pinchweld and take out ALL the old urethane. You don't want a rusty frame (or more rusty lol) and if you get in an accident the windshield seal has to be there to help hold the roof up. Most people don't realize how strong the glass is and thus how much the engineers depend on a good glass seal to make the roof hold up.

Safelite is the biggest aftermarket glass company in the world, they don't use OEM glass, so it might not fit. Better to get OEM glass so it is more likely to not have a seal. I'd say cancel your safelite appointment and find an independent local installer that uses OEM glass. Better to pay an extra hundred bucks to not have to replace it again in a year, know what I mean?

Thanks
    I called around and all the glass shops I talked to say they cannot get OEM glass for a 1984 Rabbit. They said it's not so much the kind of glass, it more about quality of the installation.
    Last edited by sruchris; 11-19-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Banned
    Silver08Rabbit is a glorious beacon of light Silver08Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sruchris View Post
    I called around and all the glass shops I talked to say they cannot get OEM glass for a 1984 Rabbit. They said it's not so much the kind of glass, it more about quality of the installation.
    As one would think. Call Safelite and ask them about their procedure they are your best bet.

Thanks

Re: New Windshield

Good and bad news.....

Good news is that I got the windshield replaced on the Rabbit today. I paid a $100 deductible and my insurance company paid the remaining $150. I took it to a local 2-man glass shop. The new glass is much clearer than my original glass. Couldn't find OEM glass, so I went with whatever the shop could find. Everything looks good from the outside.

The bad news is that the plastic strip that fits between the dash and the windshield was destroyed. Also, the right A pillar was damaged.

Guru Member DocOctavius is a jewel in the rough DocOctavius's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver08Rabbit View Post
    As one would think. Call Safelite and ask them about their procedure they are your best bet.
    I'll tell you about their procedure: Safelite does the quickest crappiest replacement they can. But, they're huge and funded by a giant foreign company, so everyone knows their name and thinks they are the best purely by name recognition. It sucks, they are the worst in the industry BECAUSE they are so huge and don't give a crap about doing a good job. Trust me everyone in the industry knows Safelite is horrible. It's true.

Sorry, nothing personal, I'm just sick of seeing their name thrown around as if they are a good choice or something. It's not your fault, they've spent millions this year pounding their name into everyone's heads.

Good luck with your replacement... sorry to hear they mangled your car.

New Member dieselherb is a jewel in the rough dieselherb's Avatar
    Thanks

I get mine at the Pick and Pull salvage yards, $30-60 Not a big deal to remove or install.

New Member tollertdi is a jewel in the rough tollertdi's Avatar
    Thanks

While we're on the same subject, I have an '83 rabbit with the same window seal design as the '84. The earlier rabbits had a window gasket, but mine still appears to have some kind of smaller rubber mounting gasket. Do you know if this needs to be replaced when you replace the windshield?

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

There are 2 types of windshield gaskets, those that are solid, and ones with the chrome trim. The chrome trim needs to be installed prior to the windshield gasket assembly being installed into the car.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

New Member tollertdi is a jewel in the rough tollertdi's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you talking about the Chrome trim on more deluxe Rabbits like on the Caddy LX?

I looked at my '83 again and it looks like the windshield is glued down and then there looks like a black piece of trim around the edge of the windshield. It doesn't look like I have any gasket at all.

+ Reply to Thread