VW Rabbit Forum " Front license plate install?" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front license plate install?

New Member Gibe is a jewel in the rough Gibe's Avatar
    Thanks

Front license plate install?

Today I picked up my plates at the dealership and the secretary told me to go to the service station and they'd install them for me. I gave her a confident "I think I can handle some screwin'. See you later sexy lady. *wink*" To which she replied "Why wait till later?"... Some of my life is "based on a true story."

Anyway, when I got home I found that there are no holes on my front bumper. Is there something I'm missing, or do I have to drill?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Guru Member
    Chazz Ranger is a jewel in the rough Chazz Ranger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Uh huh. "Why wait till later"... so you took her home, got all primed up, then couldn't find the hole(s), eh?

Yep, you gotta drill. But if you live in a place where you can run without a front plate, highly recommend you do that and avoid the tragedy of drilling into your bunny altogether.

Also, welcome to the ROC!

Guru Member chikenburger is just really nice chikenburger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Dont drilllllll

it looks horrible

Guru Member xfourevertruex is a splendid one to behold xfourevertruex's Avatar
    Thanks
    use tape. that'll work...right? lol
    '08 CW - FTW

Senior Member nnagle is a jewel in the rough nnagle's Avatar
    Thanks
    yea dont drill in your brand new bumper. I regret letting the dealership do it to mine...!!!

Guru Member HyeWarrior is just really nice HyeWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz Ranger View Post
    Uh huh. "Why wait till later"... so you took her home, got all primed up, then couldn't find the hole(s), eh?
    Wait, are we talking about the sexy lady or the car?

Oh and pics of lady or gtfo
    2007 United Grey Rabbit :
    2009 Black Magic GTI : Black Denvers, emblems, and sidemarkers, 20% tint, Eibach Pro Kit

New Member Almost Fantastic is a jewel in the rough Almost Fantastic's Avatar
    Thanks

If you dont' want to drill...

I'm in the same boat. I ordered one of these to avoid drilling my bumper:

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...d7fb26b7164943

I'll be installing it tonight. It's a bit expensive but if it fits well, I figure it's worth it. I'll post back when I'm done and let you know how it worked out.

Junior Member CanHazRabbit is a jewel in the rough CanHazRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yeah I bought my car and it already had the holes drilled in the front with the license plate. It looks terrible so I have to paint the screws and put them back in. I don't have to have a front license plate and if you don't then I definitely agree NOT to drill into your bumper.
    Tinted 2008 Sage Green Rabbit

Guru Member bubrando has a brilliant future bubrando has a brilliant future bubrando's Avatar
    Thanks
    don't drill your bunneh. i ordered a euro plate and when i went to install it i noticed there were 6 holes in my bumper. 6! gah, so i didn't install the euro plate because it didn't cover it all up :/

Guru Member ClassicRbt has much to be proud of ClassicRbt's Avatar
    Thanks
    I wouldnt drill holes. Whoever installed my rear license plate drilled the bumper completely wrong and crooked. When I noticed this i had to drill an extra whole just to align the plate properly.

Guru Member HIBB has much to be proud of HIBB's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bubrando View Post
    don't drill your bunneh. i ordered a euro plate and when i went to install it i noticed there were 6 holes in my bumper. 6! gah, so i didn't install the euro plate because it didn't cover it all up :/
    Damn,did some one install some rally lights before you bought it. Six is just crazy.
    07 SB 5sp/18" OEM Chicago's/Neuspeed RSB/GLI SW/EURO R32 Tails/Hella HID/Fogs/GTI Skirts/NB Cover/BSH CAI/NLS SS/EuroJet Catback/APR Tuned/Hex+Can..
    AMBER CLUB

Guru Member bubrando has a brilliant future bubrando has a brilliant future bubrando's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBB View Post
    Damn,did some one install some rally lights before you bought it. Six is just crazy.
    four for the license plate holder and then two random ass ones along the same plane as the bottom two. definitely a bummer.

Guru Member HIBB has much to be proud of HIBB's Avatar
    Thanks
    You could buy some of them color matched hole plugs they sell. They don't total take care of your problem but help out a lot.
    07 SB 5sp/18" OEM Chicago's/Neuspeed RSB/GLI SW/EURO R32 Tails/Hella HID/Fogs/GTI Skirts/NB Cover/BSH CAI/NLS SS/EuroJet Catback/APR Tuned/Hex+Can..
    AMBER CLUB

Guru Member mlowmk5 is a glorious beacon of light mlowmk5's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibe View Post
    Today I picked up my plates at the dealership and the secretary told me to go to the service station and they'd install them for me. I gave her a confident "I think I can handle some screwin'. See you later sexy lady. *wink*" To which she replied "Why wait till later?"... Some of my life is "based on a true story."

Anyway, when I got home I found that there are no holes on my front bumper. Is there something I'm missing, or do I have to drill?
    My I please say do not drill holes in front of your bumper. May I suggest some L brackets. Just drill into the bottom side of your bumper lip and attach the L brakets. Attach the plate through these rather than drilling ugly holes. The holes you drill for the screws will not show if you choose to remove the plate.

New Member Gibe is a jewel in the rough Gibe's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions/help everyone. After a long night of debauchery, I believe I'll follow most of ya'lls (TX here) advice and see if I can make some L brackets that neatly allow me to not drillify my bumper. Thankfully I've got access to tools, sheetmetal, time, and most importantly willpower. Pics to follow... hopefully!

Edit: I just watched the vid of the hide away plate holder... that's pretty slick.
    Last edited by Gibe; 11-06-2009 at 06:24 AM.

New Member Almost Fantastic is a jewel in the rough Almost Fantastic's Avatar
    Thanks

Hide Away update

Update on the hide away plate install last night. It worked pretty well with some modification to the generic install instructions. However, for $60 I'd definitely try the L brackets first. For the price, I wish the plate holder was a little less flimsy but it's definitely better than drilling the bumper. No pics because I was short on time. I'll try to post some this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread