VW Rabbit Forum " 1.6 Diesel Ran with no oil Pressure" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.6 Diesel Ran with no oil Pressure

Junior Member Rabbit'83 is a jewel in the rough Rabbit'83's Avatar
    Thanks

1.6 Diesel Ran with no oil Pressure

In an unfortunate series of events, a bolt managed to get stuck between my intermediate shaft pulley and engine block while I was driving. I noticed something was wrong and pulled over as fast as possible( in about 20 seconds). The vehicle was at running temperature, and I was going about 50 when it first happened.

I left off the gas immediately and coasted to a drive way. All in all it was running for about 20 secs with no oil pressure at running temperature. I would also say for about 5 secs it was at like 2500 rpm.

After I managed to get the bolt out from between the block and the pulley, it fired up and ran normally. I know it had very high oil pressure when I first rebuilt it. I will have to buy a gauge and recheck it now.

I was wondering if anyone would have an idea what kind of damage this could cause. If it still has oil pressure within spec, would it be safe to say there is no damage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well that is a nasty topic.

If you shut off the car and coasted, then that is a good thing.
    If it truly got wedged where the intermediate shaft jumped time then you are looking at a blown engine.

If the bolt was bouncing then that is a good thing as it didn't get between the sprocket and the belt.

I would visually check the timing, and the belt, the fact that the car ran after that is a good thing.

Running with no oil pressure is like a dry start. But I would inspect things but you may have pulled a rabbit out of your hat.

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to be certain. But Check the timing and the belt.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Thanks
    It was definitely lodged between the pulley and sprocket. The timing belt was just slipping over it, but the overall valve and fuel timing was not changed. The intermediate shaft just drives the vacuum pump and oil pump on a diesel. I know the oil pump was completely stopped, because the timing belt was squealing over the pulley and I had to pry the bolt out with a screw driver. It sounded like a loose or bad v-belt squeal.

I guess I will report back what the oil pressures are when I get the gauge. I will also see how the cam bearings and journals look. That should give me some idea of how bad the oil starvation was and what damage really happened.
    If they look bad I might look at the rod and main bearings too.

I plan on changing the timing belt very soon also, since I have no idea what unusual stress this could have put it through.

It will probably be around december before I get to it. I have to go out of town for a while. But I will report back.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Thanks
    I found an old mechanical oil pressure gauge that fit into the oil pressure sending port in the head. I drove it around for thirty minutes to make sure it was good and hot. The lowest pressure was 28 psi at idle, it would get up to 80 psi in the higher rpm range, but stayed around 60 while cruising. I think it is alright, but I will still check the bearing when I get back from my trip. I guess I got lucky that I stopped and didnt try to keep going.

+ Reply to Thread