Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
18K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ISLAND GIRL 
#1 ·
ok so everytime i turn my a/c on there is a horrible smell that comes from it.

it pisses me off cause its been doing this for awhile and idk what is causing...

the a/c doesnt even have to be on, i could be just driving and the smell comes through at times (not as strong).

is it the cabin filter?
will warranty cover it?

#5 ·
yea thats what i was thinking...but will they charge me money to do all that stuff? cause the last (and only) time i went to a dealer they charged up the azz and i promised myself i would never go back there for any kind of repair unless its free.

btw my car only has like 14k miles on it and its been happening for awhile, but today was unbearable so i thought id see what was up.

sorry i didnt use the search feature, kinda late at night and ive been up since early morn. :p

#6 ·
Buy the cabin filter and do it yourself! Saves time and money.

#7 ·
i dont know this apply to you but, it might be the condensed water from your AC build up turned into mold, one way to see if it is the water build up would be turn your AC at max heat, 26 celsius, dont know what it would be in fahrenheit. and see if the smell goes away after 30min of high heat. or you can go to the dealer and get a AC clean.

#8 ·
The ac clean as you mention is free if it's under warranty....and works very well. I had this sock smell at about 19k miles and when I did my 20k last week the pollen filter was NASTY. I replaced it and no more smell. So...if his filter replacement doesn't work, then def. bring it in for free evaporator clean.

What I do to prevent mold buildup is to turn the AC off but leave the fan on for a few minutes before you stop. This way the evaporator dries off and the air makes sure all moisture is gone. No water, no mold.

#10 ·
Several methods.
A: A fogging machine dumps ozone and other gas into the evaporator box for a while and destroys anything living or organic.

B: Foam. Drill a tiny hole infront of the evaporator and fill it up with this "dry" foam. After 10 minutes to half hour the foam eats everything inside and it drains out the bottom as a nice slurry of gunk.

Try the pollen filter first.

#11 ·
ok so can i just buy the cabin filter at a local shop or do i have to go to the dealership?

if there is still the awful stench then ill take it to the dealer for an a/c clean.

is this a factory defect or does it just randomly happen?

cause i dont smoke or anything in the car and dont use the a/c much either...

#14 · (Edited)
that too my good sir, if you dont wash thoroughly in the shower, the dead skin will fall on your bed, attracting bugs, and will circulate in your car and eventually be filter in your filter when you press the circulating air sign. that will be food for the bacteria thats growing on that and it WILL eventually lead to bigger pests in your filter.

example of pest will be demonstrated in the following video.

#18 ·
Have you checked to see if water is draining on ground after you stop when a/c was on. If not your drain is stopped up causing water to be held in evaporator pan. Causing mold and mildew to grow. Ensure drain is open. You can by coil cleaner to clean this problem. You will turn on a/c on hi and spray cleaner in outside vents at windshield where wiper blades are bolted down. My husband owns a heatin & a/c company

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.