VW Rabbit Forum " Why does my a/c smell like poo?" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why does my a/c smell like poo?

Senior Member shan15 is a jewel in the rough shan15's Avatar
    Thanks

Why does my a/c smell like poo?

ok so everytime i turn my a/c on there is a horrible smell that comes from it.

it pisses me off cause its been doing this for awhile and idk what is causing...

the a/c doesnt even have to be on, i could be just driving and the smell comes through at times (not as strong).

is it the cabin filter?
    will warranty cover it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

fetchface mod
    gofetch06 has a reputation beyond repute gofetch06 has a reputation beyond repute gofetch06 has a reputation beyond repute gofetch06's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    def the cabin filter. go see the parts dept.
    Quote Originally Posted by russdawg24 View Post
    Because you're just so damn hot.

Guru Member mlowmk5 is a name known to all mlowmk5's Avatar
    Thanks
    Maybe someone took a duece in your air vents.. j/k yeah it might be moisture in your vent system or a dirty cabin filter. As fetch says take it to the dealer and have them change your filter and see if they can clean out your air system.

LIFETIME VIP MEMBER xkaterpatater is just really nice xkaterpatater's Avatar
    Thanks
    Do you ever search previous threads? If you did you would find a lot of info on this.. and answers to your question.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/KATErpatater/smalllerrr.jpg

Thanks
    yea thats what i was thinking...but will they charge me money to do all that stuff? cause the last (and only) time i went to a dealer they charged up the azz and i promised myself i would never go back there for any kind of repair unless its free.

btw my car only has like 14k miles on it and its been happening for awhile, but today was unbearable so i thought id see what was up.

sorry i didnt use the search feature, kinda late at night and ive been up since early morn. :P

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Buy the cabin filter and do it yourself! Saves time and money.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

Guru Member 0non is a glorious beacon of light 0non's Avatar
    Thanks
    i dont know this apply to you but, it might be the condensed water from your AC build up turned into mold, one way to see if it is the water build up would be turn your AC at max heat, 26 celsius, dont know what it would be in fahrenheit. and see if the smell goes away after 30min of high heat. or you can go to the dealer and get a AC clean.

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    The ac clean as you mention is free if it's under warranty....and works very well. I had this sock smell at about 19k miles and when I did my 20k last week the pollen filter was NASTY. I replaced it and no more smell. So...if his filter replacement doesn't work, then def. bring it in for free evaporator clean.

What I do to prevent mold buildup is to turn the AC off but leave the fan on for a few minutes before you stop. This way the evaporator dries off and the air makes sure all moisture is gone. No water, no mold.

This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Guru Member Teyber is just really nice Teyber's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    The ac clean as you mention is free if it's under warranty....and works very well. I had this sock smell at about 19k miles and when I did my 20k last week the pollen filter was NASTY. I replaced it and no more smell. So...if his filter replacement doesn't work, then def. bring it in for free evaporator clean.

What I do to prevent mold buildup is to turn the AC off but leave the fan on for a few minutes before you stop. This way the evaporator dries off and the air makes sure all moisture is gone. No water, no mold.
    how do they clean a evap without recovering, removing, re-brazing (er re-attatching ), pressure testing, vacuuming/recharging?

I'm broke
    Thanks
    Several methods.
    A: A fogging machine dumps ozone and other gas into the evaporator box for a while and destroys anything living or organic.

B: Foam. Drill a tiny hole infront of the evaporator and fill it up with this "dry" foam. After 10 minutes to half hour the foam eats everything inside and it drains out the bottom as a nice slurry of gunk.

Try the pollen filter first.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Thanks
    ok so can i just buy the cabin filter at a local shop or do i have to go to the dealership?

if there is still the awful stench then ill take it to the dealer for an a/c clean.

is this a factory defect or does it just randomly happen?

cause i dont smoke or anything in the car and dont use the a/c much either...

Guru Member Teyber is just really nice Teyber's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shan15 View Post
    ok so can i just buy the cabin filter at a local shop or do i have to go to the dealership?

if there is still the awful stench then ill take it to the dealer for an a/c clean.

is this a factory defect or does it just randomly happen?

cause i dont smoke or anything in the car and dont use the a/c much either...
    the pollen filter/cabin filter just smelling whats being filtered out of the air + a normal amount of bacteria i would imagine

Guru Member xfourevertruex is a splendid one to behold xfourevertruex's Avatar
    Thanks
    Really glad this got brought up. I was thinking maybe I just need to pay more attention in the shower.
    '08 CW - FTW

Guru Member 0non is a glorious beacon of light 0non's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xfourevertruex View Post
    Really glad this got brought up. I was thinking maybe I just need to pay more attention in the shower.
    that too my good sir, if you dont wash thoroughly in the shower, the dead skin will fall on your bed, attracting bugs, and will circulate in your car and eventually be filter in your filter when you press the circulating air sign. that will be food for the bacteria thats growing on that and it WILL eventually lead to bigger pests in your filter.

example of pest will be demonstrated in the following video.

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    Last edited by 0non; 09-03-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Guru Member xfourevertruex is a splendid one to behold xfourevertruex's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SElover View Post
    that too my good sir, if you dont wash thoroughly in the shower, the dead skin will fall on your bed, attracting bugs, and will circulate in your car and eventually be filter in your filter when you press the circulating air sign. that will be food for the bacteria thats growing on that and it WILL eventually lead to bigger pests in your filter.

example of pest will be demonstrated in the following video.

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    lol!

if only showering would stop dead skin...
    '08 CW - FTW

Senior Member caruser4 is a jewel in the rough caruser4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Dude, wtf is that?!?
    I has VAG in Nevada! PM me

New Member UP-VW is a jewel in the rough UP-VW's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why does my a/c smell like poo?

Eesh... That is some nasty sewer goop... Thanks for sharing! Please hold for a minute... I'm still gagging!!

New Member ISLAND GIRL is a jewel in the rough ISLAND GIRL's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Why does my a/c smell like poo?

Have you checked to see if water is draining on ground after you stop when a/c was on. If not your drain is stopped up causing water to be held in evaporator pan. Causing mold and mildew to grow. Ensure drain is open. You can by coil cleaner to clean this problem. You will turn on a/c on hi and spray cleaner in outside vents at windshield where wiper blades are bolted down. My husband owns a heatin & a/c company
    APR-S3 KO4 TURBO KIT, APR S3 KO4 TURBOCHARGER, APR S3 KO4 INJECTORS, APR S3 KO4 DV W/REVISION D DIVERTER VALVE, APR CUSTOM SOFTWARE W/4 PROGRAMS- STOCK MODE, 91 OCTANE, 93 OCTANE, 100 OCTANE, FAULT CODE, ANTI THEFT,PROGRAM SWITCHING,SECURITY LOCKOUT, APR INTERCOOLER,APR 3"TUROBACK RSC EXHAUST, APR CARBONIO INTAKE, APR HPFP, SNOW PERFORMANCE STAGE II WATER/METHANOL,OEM FRONT&REAR W/ SILVER HAWK PADS, KONI RED ADJUSTABLE COIL OVER W/ DAMPERS,42DD DRAFT DESIGN OIL CATCH CAN,OEM REVISION B CAM,

+ Reply to Thread