VW Rabbit Forum " Radiator fan problem" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radiator fan problem

New Member DShiznit5044 is a jewel in the rough DShiznit5044's Avatar
    Thanks

Radiator fan problem

Hey guys, I'm new to posting on the forum, usually just lurk around

I have a problem with my 07 Rabbit. Since yesterday, my radiator fans have been going on for long periods of time. They'll start up as soon as I turn on the car, and won't shut off until about 3-4 hours after the ignition is off. My engine temp. is fine, and the fan comes on even when the engine temp. is at 120 degrees.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    If the ac is off and it does it, open the hood. Do both fans work? If they don't, replace the broken one. If they both work, replace the larger fan. The module is in the larger one and can do this. Beware, this is so common vw was out of stock on fans for nearly a month. We got a shipment of 50 or so a week ago.

Your rad output temp sensor could also be bad, but if it runs AFTER the ignition is off, then hte main fan is probably the cluprit. Check the fault codes in the ecm, you should have a fault.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

LIFETIME VIP MEMBER mcsdude23 is a glorious beacon of light mcsdude23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just out of curiousity what was the temp outside?
    Yeah I own a rabbit. How does it drive? I wouldnt be able to tell you.

New Member DShiznit5044 is a jewel in the rough DShiznit5044's Avatar
    Thanks
    Its been pretty hot and humid all week, about 85-90 degrees.

Just woke up this morning to find out that the radiator being on all night drained the battery

Regarding the fans, just the one on the passenger side comes on. Just checked the price for a radiator fan on 1stvwparts.com and it came up to $230 (!) so I'm hoping that maybe theres a fan switch thats stuck on or something simple like that. Ill get it checked out by my local mechanic on monday and ill post if anything comes up

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    listen to me and save your money. Your driver side fan is BAD. It is a control module built into it and uses bus signals from the ecm to turn both fans on to variable speeds. It gets power all the time. The ONLY way for that fan to turn on with the key off is the fan itself is shorted internaly. It's covered under your warranty...unless you are out of warranty. There is no switch. No relay. No nothing. Replace that big fan and be done with it.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

New Member division12 is a jewel in the rough division12's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Radiator fan problem

How can one tell if its the smaller fan that is actually not working? from the short amount of time i was observing it, it wasn't turning. Any way to test it for sure? I tried turning it manually and it is not stuck. My driver's side fan (bigger one) is the one getting louder. usually when I'm parked (engine running) or i'm on stop sign.

I'm just concerned that the bigger one needs replacing also as I read there's a control unit on it to turn the smaller fan?

Also, I can simulate the problem when I'm parked and I turn the AC on. The big fan accelarates and gets loud (sorta like a propeller plane is about to take off!). As soon as I turn off the AC, the big fan slows down. The small fan doesn't turn at all during this period.
    Last edited by division12; 11-19-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: additional info

We're Geekin' DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider has a reputation beyond repute DUSlider's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Radiator fan problem

Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    If the ac is off and it does it, open the hood. Do both fans work? If they don't, replace the broken one. If they both work, replace the larger fan. The module is in the larger one and can do this. Beware, this is so common vw was out of stock on fans for nearly a month. We got a shipment of 50 or so a week ago.

Your rad output temp sensor could also be bad, but if it runs AFTER the ignition is off, then hte main fan is probably the cluprit. Check the fault codes in the ecm, you should have a fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by division12 View Post
    How can one tell if its the smaller fan that is actually not working? from the short amount of time i was observing it, it wasn't turning. Any way to test it for sure? I tried turning it manually and it is not stuck. My driver's side fan (bigger one) is the one getting louder. usually when I'm parked (engine running) or i'm on stop sign.

I'm just concerned that the bigger one needs replacing also as I read there's a control unit on it to turn the smaller fan?

Also, I can simulate the problem when I'm parked and I turn the AC on. The big fan accelarates and gets loud (sorta like a propeller plane is about to take off!). As soon as I turn off the AC, the big fan slows down. The small fan doesn't turn at all during this period.
    Replace the one that doesn't work...
    UG 2008 4dr Auto, Sunroof, ESP, Votex Ground Effects Kit.

Mods: Stubby Antenna, Clear Sidemarkers, Euro Switch , OEM Projector Fog Lights, C2 93 Flash, BSH Intake, A3 Leather Shift Knob, GTI OEM HIDs, Tinted Euro R32 Tails, Eurojet Exhaust, H&R 24mm RSB, Jetta Wolfsburg FE swap, Eibach Sportline springs and Koni Str.T shocks, VW Euro OEM Leather Steering wheel, 17" VW OEM Anthracite Goals.

+ Reply to Thread