Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mega* 
#1 ·
I need some help with this decision....
Do we drop a new engine in the 82 Rabbit or rebuild the old one.
We know nothing about the engine in it. The oldest we have ever owned was an '89 and that car was tough as nails. It rolled over 500K (KM's) and was still going.
Is the engine in my Rabbit reliable? Everything in the car is original, and it runs.
The electrical was hacked at but that's another topic. I'm not looking for major HP, we did the fun, fast, and modified before we had kids.
I don't know anyone around here with an old Rabbit to talk to. I have had some people tell me that the engine in the bunny is the best there is but I really don't know........
Please, any advice

#2 ·
You probably have the 1.6 (which is about as small as it gets).

They VW made incredibly durable engines and trannys. I have heard of and almost seen myself original engines still going after 300K (proper maintenance is a must).

I took my Diesel over 230K before I sold it.
I have 130K on one cabby and 150k on another.

Either way you want to go is probably gonna be alright. I would be looking for a same engine that is CIS or Carbed as the heads are a wee bit different, so that should take you up to a 89 model with no issues.

Folks give away engines all the time for little if no additional monies, and with a new one (new to you) you can rebuild it at your leisure and do it right.

#5 · (Edited)
You can do whatever your little heart desires.

You can swap engines or tranny's at your lesiure. Just be sure that if you are going to swap for a Manual that you get the pedal assembly and all the fru-fru that goes with it, like the steering rack, as there is a bracket on a manual transmission steering rack that isn't present on a Automatic steering rack, as well as the starter and battery cables. Keep the hot start relay if it is on the car......

Yep that is correct, you have to change the power steering or Manual steering rack over as well as the drive plate on the back of the engine.

The automatics have a "flex" plate, where the Manuals have a pressure plate / flywheel.

on Kammy's site there is a how to on swapping from automatic to manual....that pretty much describes the process.

ps....

It is a whole lot easier to change the Power Steering rack with the tranny out of the car. You still will probably have to drop the down pipe tho.

#6 ·
on Kammy's site there is a how to on swapping from automatic to manual....that pretty much describes the process.
http://www.cabby-info.com/how-to.htm ... scroll down to the Transmission & Clutch section where you can choose the swap how-to via a VWvortex link or a PDF.

And, VW installed 1.1L engines in the Golf I's over in Europe... now that's dang small! :D:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.