Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
30K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  jpatz 
#1 ·
im thinking of getting the set of wheels linked below. ET is 35... the dealership says these will work if the car remains stock height. id like a second opinion, i dont want to rub or have odometer issues or anything.
http://www.msrwheels.com/auto_car_wheels.cfm?id=411

#2 · (Edited)
if u stay with the stock suspension.... it shouldn't rub. I have a similar set up. 225/40/18 is what I have on my 18x8's up front, and they are perfect. of course the offset is 42..... but at stock height you should be fine.

*EDIT.... and odometer issues won't be a problem. you're using a 225/40/18.... on a 17" wheel you would use a 225/45/18. That middle # determines the side wall. So you are just going to a lower profile tire when you go to a bigger wheel.

#3 · (Edited)
DEF SEXY WHEELS, ME LIKEY...

sorry for caps /wipe drool...but to ur question, that should not rub, i believe u could even go 235/45/18, someone correct me if im wrong.

Edit: No u cant go to 235/45/18, the size u mentioned is the stock size for r32...with et 35 ull be fine.

#4 ·
DEF SEXY WHEELS, ME LIKEY...
i believe u could even go 235/45/18, someone correct me if im wrong.
umm.... He probably could on stock suspension... but with that offset, the tread will be sticking out past the fender. with my set up, I am pretty much flush with the fender on my tread.

ALSO, I would consider wheels with a different offset if you plan on lowering in the future. And you probably will.... once you get 18" wheels, the lower profile tire really shows off the wheel gap. Ask anyone who went to the Thaw and saw my car.... looks like a stinking 4x4. I'm so glad my coilovers go on soon.

#6 ·
Best Tire size calculator in the world!!!lol
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

and yes 225/40/18 will fit
You would use 45 for the 17" wheel, the extra half inch from the 18" wheel doesn't require that much tire so the 40 will do.

#8 ·
you could spend 500-600 dollars on a nice cup kit, that will give it a nice stance and still not cause many issues. I suggest H&R Race or Sport Cup Kit. If you want to go with 17's, they still look good and will ride softer since their tire will have a thicker side wall. I had 17" classix and there was noticeable wheel gap... but nothing like it is now with 18's. I will try to find a pic of my car.....

#12 ·
This is a write-up I did for another thread. This may help:

"It seems like there is quite a few people confused about wheel offset and if it will fit or not. So here is my explanation.

First of all you need a wheel with the correct bolt pattern. 5x112 for you that don't know.

Next the offset is the spacing between the center line of your wheels and the inner hub of your wheel. The side facing your brake rotor. The picture below explains. Offset is measured in millimeters.

Wheel diameter is an important factor also but as long as the width is in a reasonable range you should be fine with a wheel diameter of 15-18".

Your stock steelies are 15"x6.5" with an offset of 51-53 mm. (Not 100% sure on steelie width. 6.5 or 7")

16" OEM VW wheels are usually 16x7" with the same offset.

When you get new tires you want to make sure you do not rub in both the inner wheel wheel and outer fender.

You can use this calculator to measure your new wheel offset and compare it to the stock wheel location. Take a ruler and rest it against your outer wheels edge to measure your new offset location.

Link to offset calculator:
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Here is a quick reference for upgradable wheel options: (using stock 15x6.5" wheel for comparison. 51 mm offset)

8" wide wheel offset 45mm (very common size) will push your wheel out 25mm (1 inch) and there will be 13mm less distance from the inner wheel to wheel well.

8" wide wheel with a 35mm offset will push your wheels out 35mm and there will be 3mm less space from your inner wheel to well.

9" wide wheel with a 45mm offset will push your wheels out 38mm and there will be 26 mm less from your inner wheel to well.

9" wide wheel with a 35mm offset will push your wheels out 48mm and you will have 16mm less from your inner wheel to well.

Hope that helps,

Mike"

#13 ·
I'm running 18x8" wheels with a 35 offset and 225/40/18's... with no suspension mods it was fine, improved handling, no rubbing... but with H&R sport springs it's WAY nicer to drive, but will squeak a bit on the fenders if you hit a certain height of bump too fast. If you drive properly and don't jump speed bumps you'll love it more than when it was brand new...

If I had the chance I'd get a higher offset though, so they tucked under the fenders a bit more, allowing for a lower suspension setup.

#15 ·
why do people not seem to understand that as long as you have the proper size tires going to a larger wheel isn't going to make any difference? the overall size of the whole wheel and tire combo is not changing, you just have more metal and less rubber. the overall diameter and circumference are the same.

#16 ·
I think when people say 18s or 17s they arent necessarily meaning the rim diameter but perhaps the increase in the wheel and tire width that the 18 or 17 inch rims bring. So if i was to ask you if a certain 18 inch rim fit i would most likely be asking if the width increase would fit.

#17 ·
I am running a 17x8in wheel with a 35 offset, I have a set of 205/45/17 Falken 912 tires, I am going low in a few weeks, I got a stretched tire so that I don't rub. A 38 or 42 offset is better if you don't want to run a stretched tire.

#18 ·
very very sexy!! im really likin the black with red stripe. have you found out how much they will cost you, wheels and tires? im interested now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.