Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  acgator 
#1 ·
Sometimes while driving I get this clicking noise under the steering wheel. The clicking sounds like a turn signal clicking but just quicker and about as loud. To try finding the source of the clicking I've applied pressure to the surrounding trims, played with the tilt steering, and even pressed on the instrument cluster clear plastic cover while the noise is happening. At my 5K mile oil change two weeks ago I explained the above to the VW service tech and as always they couldn't mimick the noise. VW said everything appears to be fine and to "bring it back if it happens again." The clicking happens when the engine is warm and I'm cruising at ANY speed. Any ideas??? :confused:

#2 · (Edited)
I've had a similar thing happen twice in one day, but it never happened again after that. The noise was coming from the same place, apparently from behind the wheel, but mine sounded like more of a light fan noise. I could hear it for a minute or two, then it went away. I then heard it again for a minute or two later in the day while I was out for a drive. Since it never happened again, I didn't pay too much attention to it.

#3 ·
My guess it's probably your heating/AC system. I hear a clicking noise on occasion coming from that area.

#6 ·
Sort of a clicking noise

There's something back toward the right rear of my car that makes a little tapping noise at stop lights. If I put the transmission in neutral after a few seconds it goes away.

Also, there is something that sounds almost like an air release toward the right rear when I first open the door after the car has been locked. I'm guessing that has something to do with the fuel pump.

#7 ·
There's something back toward the right rear of my car that makes a little tapping noise at stop lights. If I put the transmission in neutral after a few seconds it goes away.

Also, there is something that sounds almost like an air release toward the right rear when I first open the door after the car has been locked. I'm guessing that has something to do with the fuel pump.
You are correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.