Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  zoootsuit 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a set of snows / wheels for my new rabbit and have narrowed down my tire choices to one of the following:

Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 H (great online reviews / best consumer reports performance snow)
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D (great online reviews)
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 (generally regarded as the snow to beat, but sold out in most places / sizes)

Any other tire suggestions? Should I just buy whatever's cheapest? Should I go for the cheapest used steelies I can find or wait for something to show up on craigslist? Does size matter?

#4 ·
I have blizzaks, I think they are pretty good. However if I were going to buy a new set right now, I would buy dunlops. A couple guys in the local area have them and I also know some BMW guys who run them. It is a really good tire, it wears really well and is not to loud on bare pavement.

My blizzaks tend to wander at high speeds 75-85mph

#5 ·
Personally, I'd go with the Dunlop over the Good Year myself. The Bridgestone is considered a "Studless Ice and Snow" tire and won't perform as well in dry conditions or be as comfortable as the other two that are considered "Performance Winter" tires. It all depends on how much snow you get where you are and how much driving you do.

#7 ·
The blizzak's are out (thanks for the info Mi_Panic) so now it's down to the goodyear vs. the dunlops. I had the dunlop m3's on my previous ride and they were great, but don't have any experience with the 3D's.

Goodyear has a $40 rebate right now and better ratings on consumer reports snow tire testing (better ice & dry braking) and online reviews of the dunlops / goodyears on tirerack, etc. look like a tossup so I think I'm just going to go for the one out of these two which I can find the cheapest.

Still undecided on wheels though - cheap new steelies? Wait for something to show up on craigslist? Just put the new snows on my existing wheels?

#10 · (Edited)
Someone's parting out a '96 golf locally and I may be able to get some cheap wheels there. Would it be possible to use 14" wheels ('96 golf stock) on my rabbit?

EDIT: I've got a full set of 185/65TR-14 snows (m3's) from my last car I'd be happy to use if there's any way of installing them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.