VW Rabbit Forum " Please Help. P0140 engine code issue" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please Help. P0140 engine code issue

New Member MKVDuBBiT is a jewel in the rough MKVDuBBiT's Avatar
    Thanks

Please Help. P0140 engine code issue

Hi i have a 07 rabbit (BGQ) with a P0140 code that just cant seem to go away. My mechanic has replaced the o2 (with oem vw one) checked all the wiring and fuses with no luck. Is there anything else I can have him check before I result in replacing the ECU. I really would like to avoid that considering I have a tune on it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Please Help. P0140 engine code issue

The causes for a P0140 code are fairly few. They could be any of the following: Shorted heater circuit in O2 sensor. (Usually requires replacement of heater circuit fuse in fuse block also) Shorted signal circuit in O2 sensor Melting of harness connector or wiring due to contact with exhaust system Water intrusion in harness connector or PCM connector Bad PCM

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0140
    Copyright OBD-Codes.com

I had this on my Van (non-vw) along with a P0131

So it could be that he didn't reset the codes, and it will take a drive cycle any where between 25-100 miles to clear.
    I had this return on my rear sensor and found that the one I replaced was the wrong style for the car, right part number wrong tip.
    So I replaced it yet again....
    My front sensor is in such a location that I had a different bung installed to more easily get to it ( I also had to extend the wiring to the new location).

So while it could be a ECU or Wiring issue I would also not rule out a bad sensor. Clean all your connections o2, harnes (ecm as well). Clean your Grounds to the car, at the battery, the Frame, and the Engine/tranny.... Could be that you have a little corrosion and the ECU is looking for voltage drops, and bad grounds or corroded ground connections can simulate this.

After I got about one tank through without the codes re-appearing I took it in for its annual emissions test.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

+ Reply to Thread