My car's screaming at me
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My car's screaming at me

Member JerryLtowIt is just really nice JerryLtowIt's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: My car's screaming at me

Quote Originally Posted by 2013Tdi View Post
    DMF Failure may sound like marbles, that used to be the sign of a failing water pump
    back in the day... My TDI, it would make a rattling noise at idle, but was fine in
    gear, that is the DMF. It makes a noise at idle, like:

chik chik chik chik chkichkichkichk chik chik chik... Yeah, DMF...
    chik chik chik chik chkichkichkichk chik chik chik... Yeah, DMF
    Hahahaha that's so awesome. I caught myself reading it out loud. Almost decided to put music to it.

Quote Originally Posted by le0n View Post
    The SMF can give you a new ticking noise at idle in neutral.

Mine does. Nothing wrong with it, that's just what they do.

But a stage 1 clutch / SMF flywheel kit is cheaper than a stock DMF alone.
    All this is music to my ears. But SMF will have its own clutch, pressure plate, etc?? Oh yeah, you did say kit.
    It would be way too easy if you could use the existing clutch and stuff...not happening right?
    Those DMF are high dollar, as much as a used tranny!!

Put the phone down and DRIVE!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

SMF is a regular, or solid flywheel. You still need a sprung clutch, pressure plate, and so on.
    DMF manuals use an unsprung clutch, because the DMF is the damper... When you go to
    the solid flywheel, then you use the sprung clutch.

If you have a diesel, then converting to the SMF is not a good idea.
    If you don't match the parts properly, and make sure the SMF is balanced,
    other problems have occurred, like excessive main bearing wear, and the
    clutch collapsing. Also, the lighter the flywheel, the noisier everything will be.

A solid flywheel replacement is often regretted by owner. They cite
    vibrations and noise as two of the main issues arising from them. Gear
    changes appear to be required more frequently. SMF also means more of
    the vibrations and torque are delivered right to the transmission parts.
    Basically there is no advantage to having a solid flywheel in terms of OEM
    performance (stock), so the only consideration is cost. You should also
    bear in mind the possible future cost of transmission failure as a result
    of the additional vibrations and stress.

Unless you're going competition, off road, tuning, or dragging, everyone
    recommends you stick with a DMF, but get a stronger, better one from
    someone other than VW, or OEM, who makes a stronger DMF.

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerryLtowIt View Post
    Those DMF are high dollar, as much as a used tranny!!
    ^^ but the used transmissions don't come with the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel/etc.

i went with something similar to this for my 5 speed transmission a few months ago: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-dkm-part...a-034-062~dkm/

i chose BFI because they had a decent kit on the market for mine. if it's a daily driver, there's no need to get anything more than a stage 1 kit.

Here's a link to the other kits, I believe you have the FSI engine, so mind the FSI & TSI notations in the kit descriptions.
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Gorilla Skin + Legos

Thanks

First off, thanks Le0n and 2013Tdi for the timely information and help. So I went back and forth about the flywheel and decided to leave it and the other parts on until a bit later. The fact that the bolts were all lose and broken had a ton to do with the crazy sounds and vibrations I was feeling. I replaced two flange shaft bearings and their races inside the transmission, plus the seals for them. I replaced the passenger side axle as well. So I put her back together and all went well. It's been a while since beginning the process, then delays with shipping and work. I wondered if I'd actually remember what to do. Pictures, plenty of them. They came in real handy while staring at a bunch of bolts and then trying to recall which hole they belong in. I was going to do a diy but it's been done. But a few things I learned along the way...

Its not a lot but I wasn't taking any chances, and neither should anyone else. It only takes a few minutes to re set your jack stands.
    Organized...

Keeping the stuff that goes together separate from other things helps out later.

How I got the bolt on the flange shaft thingy...

Take your time, and it's ok to step back and take a breath if stuff starts going against you. I found myself cursing the tranny and its family. I had a few others but I can't find them now

Oh yeah, the noise and vibration is gone. The car fired right up. But...The clutch pedal went to the floor, after just tapping it with my foot. Added fluid and then tried pumping it up. Seemed to help a little but, it still doesn't want to return to the start point every time. Like it's bleeding off or something. It's not leaking though...Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

You need to bleed the hydraulic clutch at the slave cylinder, there are
    two ways to do that.

One, you need a pneumatic pump, one of those hand held pump things like
    a grease gun, but this will pull to put vacuum, and has a hose attached to
    it. Clutch pedal all the way out, you connect the hose to the bleeder
    valve and then pump it to about 45 k/pa, then open the bleeder. Don't
    let the vacuum totally run down, close the bleeder. Pump it again,
    open the bleeder, and repeat till all the air bubbles are out.

Or, you have someone IN the car, connect a hose to the bleeder and in
    a bottle, like 20oz plastic pop bottle. Open the bleeder and have them push
    on the clutch pedal, slowly going all the way down, then close the bleeder
    before they bottom out the pedal, and then tell them to release the pedal
    slowly. Repeat till all the air is out.

Make sure the reservoir is full before doing, and check it every three
    attempts. Like, my HHR clutch master pulls from the brake reservoir,
    so I would want to make sure it's topped off first...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2013Tdi For This Useful Post:

JerryLtowIt(04-22-2017)

Thanks

This project didn't turn out as intended...("stuff" came along and greatly shortened the time and budget I had) But, I will do it all again in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

congrats on tackling this. many out there would run in the other direction with money in their hands.

at least you know the steps involved and it will make the next time that much easier.

also, i bled my own slave cylinder with a board against the driver seat, hah hah.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to le0n For This Useful Post:

JerryLtowIt(04-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by le0n View Post
    congrats on tackling this. many out there would run in the other direction with money in their hands.

at least you know the steps involved and it will make the next time that much easier.

also, i bled my own slave cylinder with a board against the driver seat, hah hah.
    Thank you, this got really deep, really quick. I watched many you tube videos on the dismantling of transmissions...it didn't matter if it was a Honda or Toyota, the general idea was the same. Plus, there aren't exactly a variable cornucopia of Mkv videos to watch. Knowing the steps involved...that is so very important. You can give a guy a list and videos and explain it but... Until you get under there and start wrenching, you'll never know. I'll do it again and won't even hesitate. Soon as things settle down this way, I'll be back at it.

Oh yeah, that thing with the board and seat is a classic from my truck driving days. Used it to find air leaks, check brake lights...a long tire thumper.

*edit*
    Almost forgot to say that supporting the transmission from the top while putting it back in place is much easier than from underneath. I'm sure you had mentioned that. Even with that thingy I had made...hell no. I did not buy the engine support thing that goes over the engine compartment, I had to figure something else out. There are no pics cause the explanation says it all. So, same principle but...two 8' ladders, one along side each fender, the long pole that used to be attached to a portable basketball goal. A step above my fender, two ratchet straps and a couple of D Rings. The D rings I used on the back of the tranny through these available holes that just seemed like that was their purpose. The shaft side was much easier to find places to hook to. Anyhow, the transmission practically fell into place. My fingers would've gotten smashed between the block and it had they been in the way. I never in a million years expected it to go into place that easily. Thanks
    Put the phone down and DRIVE!!

Thanks

^^ whatever works, man

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3