My car's screaming at me
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My car's screaming at me

Member JerryLtowIt is just really nice JerryLtowIt's Avatar
    Thanks

My car's screaming at me

I recently was getting a p0299 underboost code. I just couldn't find any leaks. I remembered the exhaust clamp that needed fixing. The boost level had dropped from peaking at 18 to like a 11. Noticeable loss of power.
    Not too difficult. Since the clamp was already as tight as it would go, I loosened the clamp and fit a thin piece of metal strap under it and snugged it back up. No more leaking from there. Since fixing that I immediately was thanked by my car with the horrible sound that you might hear in this video. It's very hard to hear when in neutral if I rev it up. When it's in gear and decelerating or between up shifts under hard acceleration. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Forgive the crappy video...
    https://youtu.be/h2Mqfi8slNM

I was driving it daily about 40 miles,
    120,000 miles, 07 Gli.

This was about a month ago...
    https://youtu.be/81GMeYQSnS4

Put the phone down and DRIVE!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: My car's screaming at me

So, it's not the exhaust. I thought it was the clutch or tranny and found this.... Is this still doable, or do I need to tear the tranny down?

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

it was difficult to discern this from the video. it almost sounded like a slight turbo squeal on youtube.

but yes, you indeed have an issue there. was any fluid leaking out? my differential (or something attached to it) shifted over almost .25" towards the center of the car. doing this caused the fluid to leak out of the seal on the inner cv side.

what transmission code? it's stamped on the top of the bell housing. does the damaged part look to be part of a seal that you can replace?
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Gorilla Skin + Legos

Thanks

There was no fluid leaking, there was a castoff of grease on the back of the block.
    Here is the stamp

And here is the last video I took right before putting it up on blocks.
    https://youtu.be/-Kcq_FnXBr4
    I'm trying to figure out if that piece is something that can be replaced, and thank you for helping.

Thanks

It's hard to tell if it's the part of the tranny wall or what.https://youtu.be/nnLHQBmp2vI

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

If it were the turbo, you would hear it when NOT driving as well, revving the motor.

That sounded like metal to metal contact somewhere...

The manuals and DSGs leak out the axle seal RH side, my previous TDI
    started leaking there as well. About a pint between every service. NO
    noise or scoring.

That looks like part of the trans case, the seal doesn't go that far back.

In order for that to get scored, your output shaft has to be shifting under
    load or braking. That would be the output shaft bearing on that side.
    That damage won't matter once that bearing is replaced, it won't hit
    there anymore. The clearances are within 1-2mm of the wall, and if your
    output shaft bearing on that side is worn, the axle shaft moves or wobbles.

If it's the bearing, you'll just need to clean that area all out, of all possible
    metal shavings and glitter like pieces.

Go to 12 seconds in to the video: https://youtu.be/nnLHQBmp2vI and pause, you
    can see the bearings up at that scored area, when you can't see them anywhere
    else. Even as you're moving the camera around, you can only see the bearings
    very clearly, up there where the case is scored.

Thanks

I have the tranny out and I'm so glad I went this far. I'm working solo and taking pics so it's been a learning experience. I found that the flywheel was loose!! All but one of the bolts were finger loose, not to mention the one that was sheared off! Yay...
    Here is some damage that resulted
    The inside of the bell housing even got some...
    This seems crazy that all this stuff was loose. This shouldn't happen, ever!

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, stuff like that isn't supposed to happen. Hell, they use blue lock-tite on the
    fender rear under deck mounted sub-woofer, but don't use any here? Maybe this
    was serviced once before, and they didn't torque the bolts correctly.

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep. That's an aftermarket flywheel. Poor install, I suspect.

You're supposed to loctite those flywheel bolts.

That's good you have it all cracked open.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2013Tdi View Post
    Yeah, stuff like that isn't supposed to happen. Hell, they use blue lock-tite on the
    fender rear under deck mounted sub-woofer, but don't use any here? Maybe this
    was serviced once before, and they didn't torque the bolts correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by le0n View Post
    Yep. That's an aftermarket flywheel. Poor install, I suspect.

You're supposed to loctite those flywheel bolts.

That's good you have it all cracked open.
    Money's a little tight, getting a loan to do these repairs. So what do I do? That shaft bearing is going to be complicated to get to I'm thinking. I'm searching for a diy on tearing down the transmission, seems to elude me. Was going to order the bearing, new flywheel bolts, trans fluid, different diverter valve, (cause I don't like the one that is on there) what other bolts HAVE to be replaced?

Thanks

Might be cheaper to find a good used transmission, if your time = money
    that is. IF you are losing money by doing this on your own, then it's
    not good... Taking it apart to replace that output shaft bearing is
    time consuming...

Thanks

Might be cheaper to find a good used transmission, if your time = money
    that is. IF you are losing money by doing this on your own, then it's
    not good... Taking it apart to replace that output shaft bearing is
    time consuming...
    Its saving me lots of money doing it on my own, dont get me wrong. Transmission work has always been a complete mystery, besides clutch work. So I decided to get over it. Watched several videos of people pulling apart similar transmissions... feeling confident so what the hell, I went ahead and pulled it apart and pulled the bearing off. (Before doing that I mock put it back together to see if it would all go back the way it should)
    I'm way past the point of no return, that happened yesterday. Hahaha
    I have everything organized and labeled, and took plenty of pictures so unless the world ends, this car IS all going back together
    Anyway, im about to order parts and still wondering if there are bolts that I HAVE to replace.

Thanks

did you have to remove the subframe to get the transmission out? if so, then you'll need a few new bolts for that.

Thanks

Bolts: If you took the sub-frame out, I think those are stretch bolts... You really
    are not supposed to reuse them. People do with no consequences, but use locktite,
    and can usually get two more retorques out of them. Personally, I have reused the
    ones on the torque mount three times on my previous TDI, without anything
    happening. If you want to be 100% confident, then they need replaced...

Thanks

I did not remove it to take it out, but will be doing so for the reassembly. It took some time and a lot of patience and a couple of beer breaks to get it out that way. I don't recommend doing it that way. Thanks for help.

Thanks

Check it... this has me worried.

I don't know how to get the big gear free without jumbling everything else up. There's got to be something inside this thing that caused that. I haven't found it yet. I'll check the fluid I drained tomorrow.

Thanks

You will always have metal shavings with hypoid gears. Even differentials, but
    they put magnets in the diff to catch the shavings. Still, pictures are too small,
    can't see anything except what looks like pencil shavings...

The first picture, have no idea what I'm looking at, and what you're pointing out.
    You say "Check it.. this has me worried" What does?

Thanks

The first picture, have no idea what I'm looking at, and what you're pointing out.
    You say "Check it.. this has me worried" What does?
    Sorry the picture was crappy. Maybe this one is better? The arrow is pointing at fresh gouges in the gear. The other pic was just referring to its location. And you're right, the magnet inside was loaded with shavings. Not like flakes or how I thought it would look...more like superfine dust that was drenched in fluid. It looked like a ball but when you touched it, it smears. Seriously though, I'm going to have to figure out some things I was unaware of. Like how to measure backlash, and where to get the spacers needed to minimize it. Also I need to get the bearing for the other side and just do them both, I'm thinking.

Thanks

That fragment that caused that is most likely crushed to nothing now.

Thanks

From the smaller pictures, it looked like there was something in the teeth of the gears,
    not actual material missing from the gears.

However, that's nothing... As said, whatever it was, it was pulverized by the gears.
    There is also no way to tell how "fresh" they are unless you had it apart a month
    ago, and they were not there. They could have been there for a long time. You
    can see the small dents in the gear tips as well, it hit those four gear tips....
    I don't think you need to be alarmed, if the gear tips were broken off, sure.
    It It takes a lot to break hypoid gears, unless the gear was badly forged...

Quote Originally Posted by le0n View Post
    That fragment that caused that is most likely crushed to nothing now.
    My Silverado, the magnet fell off the inside of the diff cover and the gears destroyed
    it. For that reason, those magnets are not hard magnets, they're flexible, almost like
    rubber. So, they have foreseen that may happen, so they use those types of magnets.
    There were pieces of magnet stuck all over the place in there... I sprayed it all clean,
    and put another doughnut flex magnet on the new cover... There is a raised spot on
    the inside of the diff cover where it slides down on. The differential cover was so badly
    rusted on the outside, you could not even see the fill plug, it was like all one surface...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast