VW Rabbit Forum " 1981 Rabbit Pickup 1.7 gasser smells of gas fumes inside the cab" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1981 Rabbit Pickup 1.7 gasser smells of gas fumes inside the cab

New Member jhbaker73 is a jewel in the rough jhbaker73's Avatar
    Thanks

1981 Rabbit Pickup 1.7 gasser smells of gas fumes inside the cab

Hello fellow VW enthusiast! I picked up this little truck non-running, put a new fuel filter and a fuel relay in it and got it running. Now running and running quit good, I noticed a gas smell in the cab of the truck, anybody know of this issue or have aany insight??? Also, is there a way to check the transmission fluid on the little engines? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 1981 Rabbit Pickup 1.7 gasser smells of gas fumes inside the cab

Welcome. Moved your thread to the Older rabbit forum.

To check the tranny fluid, you have to Jack your car, or access the upper fill port on the Transmission it is on the Back side of the tranny near the firewall.
    and then using a 17mm Allen Socket you unscrew the upper port, and at a level, there should be oil in it enough to Dribble out of the port.

Or

You can drain the tranny using the lower port, still 17mm ( a lug bolt and double nut will work to unscrew it as well.)
    The plug it back up and use 2 quarts, of 90 weight and be done with it for a few thousand miles.

This is the Lower Plug on my Automatic, but the Manuals are in about the same area.

As for the fuel smell, if you broke the filter, and or any Banjo Bolts, then I suspect that the Copper Crush washers need to either be replaced or reconditioned.
    To re-condition them, you sand them smooth and shiny, 400 grit or so.... Then holding them over an open flame with Pliers on the edge, allow them to change color or Darken.

I would also check all your fuel lines to see if while they are running they are Dribbling Fuel.... Vacuum hoses are suspect as well.
    There is always the feed hoses in and back to the tank. The Rubber bits might have dry rotted. The CIS uses 75psi pressure so hoses on older cars are always suspect.

www.cabby-info.com is a good site to get to know as the engine/transmission are the same between the Cabriolets, and Caddys' (pickemup truck).
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Thanks

Hey thank you for the quick response and the website, will use it often!

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

I forgot to add, which I occasionally have CRS, or CrainialRectumitist the tranny's On a 5spd use splash oil to lube the 5th gear.
    If the oil in the tranny is low then the 5th gear get no lubrication, and will burn out.

The Manuals take about 2.1 quarts of 90wt.
    The Autos take 6qts of atf, and .75 Liters of 90.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Senior Member James Seahill is a splendid one to behold James Seahill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think I have the answer for your fuel fumes in the cab of your pickup----I've had 5 of them. There is a vent tube coming off your fuel tank feed tube about 6 inches from where you take the cap off to fuel up. You'll probably have to take the door flap assembly off to see it. It's about 18" long and enters the gas tank near the upper right corner. It has a coil insert and tends to get hard and stiff and shrink over the years. There's a short metal tube coming off the aforementioned fill tube that it clamps on to. The fill tube has a large rubber hose about 6" long and clamps to a tube off the tank. I think the best thing to do is disconnect the fill tube and the vent tube from the upper right side of the fuel tank first and then remove the tube and door assembly. The vent tube can then be reattached to the fill tube and the fuel door assembly and tube reattached to the body. the last step would be to reattach the fill tube and vent tube at the tank. You can reattach the vent tube to the fuel tube extension without disconnecting the fuel tube, but you have very little room to work in.

Thanks

Hey thanks for the response, working on both fix at the moment, will let you all know the final answer...

Quote Originally Posted by James Seahill View Post
    I think I have the answer for your fuel fumes in the cab of your pickup----I've had 5 of them. There is a vent tube coming off your fuel tank feed tube about 6 inches from where you take the cap off to fuel up. You'll probably have to take the door flap assembly off to see it. It's about 18" long and enters the gas tank near the upper right corner. It has a coil insert and tends to get hard and stiff and shrink over the years. There's a short metal tube coming off the aforementioned fill tube that it clamps on to. The fill tube has a large rubber hose about 6" long and clamps to a tube off the tank. I think the best thing to do is disconnect the fill tube and the vent tube from the upper right side of the fuel tank first and then remove the tube and door assembly. The vent tube can then be reattached to the fill tube and the fuel door assembly and tube reattached to the body. the last step would be to reattach the fill tube and vent tube at the tank. You can reattach the vent tube to the fuel tube extension without disconnecting the fuel tube, but you have very little room to work in.

+ Reply to Thread