VW Rabbit Forum " 1.9td AAZ head on 1.6na Questions" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.9td AAZ head on 1.6na Questions

Junior Member Lucassayers7 is just really nice Lucassayers7's Avatar
    Thanks

1.9td AAZ head on 1.6na Questions

Good evening,
    The head I would be getting only has seats and valve guides. I have found the intake and exhaust valves from parts place inc. which are the 7mm which I believe is right. Will I be using this valve keeper? or is there a different one needed for the 1.9td
    http://www.partsplaceinc.com/product...9651A&sku=1294

I cant seem to find where to get the rest of the stuff needed like the springs or retainers, What things can I use from my 1.6na head. also will there be much power increase from doing a 1.6 bottom with 1.9 head with no turbo at first?

Any places where I can buy all of it like in a kit would be awesome!! Thanks for the help guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Senior Member srgtlord is a glorious beacon of light srgtlord's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 1.9td AAZ head on 1.6na Questions

I would recommend against the 1.9 hear swap. It lowers the compression of the vehicle. If you live in an area where the temperature drops below 70 degrees Fahrenheit at any point be prepared for a smokescreen and difficulty starting the vehicle. There are good used 1.6 heads kicking around on ebay.

Thanks

I did not actually know that i'm a ski coach in new Hampshire so that would would not end up well. Is there any engine mods you would recommend such as a 1.5 internals or a different cam, I do want to turbo with really light boost soon. With anything I do have to keep in mind some of the year is spent below 30.

Senior Member srgtlord is a glorious beacon of light srgtlord's Avatar
    Thanks

It depends on what your goals are. If you want longevity keep the 1.6 as is. Adding a Turbo will shorten the life of your engine. Adding a Turbo the correct way to the 1.6 will prove very costly as you will need turbo injectors, turbo pump, different exhaust and intake manifolds. Stock turbo blocks also has an oil cooler and oil squires installed on the block. Also the gearing is different on cars with a stock Turbo setup.

It would be more effective to find a stock Turbo engine and transmission setup.

Thanks

Starting to think about what i am going to do for my rabbit it started to drop oil out the side again i probably need to replace my intermediate shaft, and the shaft seal again the last time i replaced it i took pictures but then forgot about it. I believe my rabbit is burning oil so i would have to check into that. I can't seem to find any where that i can buy a turbo 1.6 engine, but i did find a 1z engine with 200k on it for 450 it ran well only thing missing is the turbo. Is there any where i can buy a complete 1.6TD engines or a 1.9 engine that i can drop into my rabbit that will work with my tranny, i do weld but i dont want to make to much of a project just yet it is my daily driver. Just trying to see what would cause me more head aches.

Thanks

Does anyone know where i can buy the 1.6TD engine?(reliable source) or is anyone looking to sell one? i would like to go to the 1.9 na or td but thinking its better to keep it simpler.

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

No but the KISS is always better in the long run (Keep It Stupidly Simple).

These guys aren't that hard to rebuild and depending on your Cylinders, you may get by with a hone and a re-ring..after you mic the cylinders that is.
    Give vwheritage a look at it is a UK site and Carbed and Diesels are more common there.

The ETKA may help you get part numbers.
    http://www.oemepc.com/

also try http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,4353.0.html They may have answers and or parts that you are trying to locate.....
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Thanks

taking a look there for some parts now, thinking i may start to look into doing new rings or something ill check compression soon, so i replaced my intermediate shaft seal a couple of months ago and it has been fine and all been going for really long drives and it just started leaking again is it for sure because my intermediate shaft itself is falling apart its just ripping the seal with flakes of metal or something?

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Could be bearing play, but it could also be cheap chinese rubber bits.
    Could be improper torque of the seal. Did you torque the bolts correctly, or did you just snug them down.
    The oil looks as if it dripped out the bottom of the seal plate. This is why I suggest that the seal wasn't torqued properly.
    VW has a way with torque. Too loose and it leaks too tight it leaks, and torqued to the req is just right.....
    I suppose if you have enough internal pressure in the engine because of bad rings it could blow it out.
    What is the air filter look like?
    Last edited by briano1234; 03-21-2017 at 05:25 AM.

Thanks

I used the torque chart in one of the books to get all the bolts all back to spec i ordered the seal off of rock auto, my air filter should need to be replaced, but are you asking if its covered in oil because its just really dirty but my intake manifold always has a lot of oil seating there.

Thanks

Valve cover leaks because of improper torque or the cover isn't sitting square and is slightly warped..... The valve cover nuts take 87 in/lbs nothing more nothing less.
    No sealant on the cork, and 2 drops of RTV red at the Cam over corners where the Cam seal meets the cork. 20 years of ownership and 5 gaskets in 5 weeks taught me that lesson....

The air cleaner if not saturated with oil means no excessive blow by on the rings, so a compression check (use a Diesel gauge) shoudl be within 20 psi of each other wet/dry @ 400psi isn't bad. So it may be that your valve seals are shot.

I have seen vacuum pump puke oil to the air cleaner as well.
    Last edited by briano1234; Today at 07:23 AM.

Thanks

The valve cover is all good as well i've replaced that 3 times since i owned it thinking i could use rtv when i needed a gasket, used it all the way around with no gasket! surprisingly it worked but i switched it out because cleaning it up and stuff was not wroth it and a real gasket is a much better way.

Now, i have been reading for hours about this and cant find a definitive answer, if i was to buy a aaz engine from a 94 jetta, and from my understanding very light modifications to get it in with the mounting and all, but what i cant figure out can i just unbolt my 1.6 from my 4 speed and then bolt the aaz to it?

If it does even if there is bad gearing from what i hear may be an issue would it be unbearable for a month or so till i sourced a different tranny?(highly considering this but have found the parts for my 1.6na cheap, but at the same time someone posted up an aaz engine for sale)

Thanks

There is a company that took over OldSkoolvw designs.... and they make different bolt on kits
    http://ckw2.com/ckw2-wp/

Might want to check them out.

I know that bolting a non-diesel geared tranny to a diesel is a exercise in OPPSY. But I have no working knowledge on a 1.6 from a 94.
    I have heard of horror stories of folks that thought they could drop a Diesel into their Cabby and all would be well.....until they tried to drive it, on a aug tranny.
    What is really funny is that the Diesel trannys (automatic) work fine on the Cabby and vice-versa..... I had a early TJ 010 and loved it, got great mileage, and it was quick.

I am thinking that the aaz should bolt up directly... You might try the technical forum at the vortex... they usually have had some one there that decided to embrace the bleeding edge of Dubdom.

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice, due to not finding a cheap enough aaz and waiting for my mk6 turn in date it might be a little bit before the swap which will most likely be a GTD 1.6td.

but for the moment do i need to replace my intermediate shaft i thought it looked pretty bad with the two bits fallen off the way it was but they are covered in oil in the engine so im thinking i should just buy another seal and call it a day? Last time i got a FEL-PRO seal is BECK/ARNLEY a better brand to get?

Thanks

Well, my personal favorite is Victor-Reinz but I have used Fel-pro over the years and have happy experiences with them. FEBI/Meyle/Felpro are mostly made in other places than the USA, and are subject to good days as well as bad I suspect. I have never had issues with any gaskets Failing because of Gasket issues per say.
    It was "Always" my fault for snagging or cutting them..

But for Cam, Crank, and Intermediate shafts, I usually use 2000 wet/dry and polish the surface of the thing to get any old grease or debris off, then I usually pack the inside of the seal lips with Grease..... So it isn't dry on the first spin,,,,,
    Last edited by briano1234; Today at 07:26 AM.

+ Reply to Thread