Trouble with changing rear brakes, any suggestions?
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trouble with changing rear brakes, any suggestions?

Member Jester016 is a jewel in the rough Jester016's Avatar
    Thanks

Trouble with changing rear brakes, any suggestions?

My wife and I were both told at our last servicing(hers the 60k, mine the 50k) that our rear brakes needed to be changed. We were both quoted around $350 to have them do it, over $220 in parts and another $120 in labor...or was it more? Anyway, I've done plenty of brakes before on other vehicles, just did front pads and rotors on a friend's Dakota back in the summer. So as I do most times before delving into something like this, I do a little research online. So I go on YouTube and do a little search and sure enough I find a fair number of videos and discovered the wonders of the electric parking brake. So, my understanding is that the electric brake engages automatically when the car is turned off, I suspected but I've always wondered if that was what that sound was, lol. OK, so what appears to be the "correct" way to do it is hook up a Vag Com to disengage the EPB prior to turning off the car, making the rear pads removable like normal. Like most I would assume, I don't have a a several hundred dollar specialized mechanics tool like that in my toolbox, I did make a few calls to people I know that might have one or might have access to one, but my chances have dwindled down to the last person who hasn't called me back yet. There were two alternatives that I saw on YouTube, neither of which I liked too much, the first method involved disassembling the motor that engages the brakes and turning it back by hand and the second method involved using another car battery to give the connector for that motor a little juice to back the motor out. The third option would be to buy a Vag Com or a compatible cable for my laptop and get software to do it. So, anyone know where I'd find said software and how much it might cost or know another less intrusive method I might be at to do this?
    Mine
    2010 Tiguan S 4Motion in Sapphire Blue Metallic
    Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS w/Backup Cam & iPod Hookup
    The Wife's
    2012 Tiguan SE 4Motion w/Sunroof & Nav in
    Night Blue Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Trouble with changing rear brakes, any suggestions?

Yes, you need VCDS to "open parking brake" before changing the pads, nornally.

Or as you saw?

You can unplug the braking brake modules at the calipers before turning the car off.
    They power the motor that turns a T40 shaft in there, that pushes the plungers out
    to the pads to grab the disc.

The parking brake module is a device that attaches to the back of the caliper,
    and has a T40 size shaft that goes into a T40 hole that spins two revolutions
    to push the plunger out to engage the rear pads to the rotor for parking.
    If you take the module off, you can use a T40 tool at the caliper. You turn
    it clockwise to release the piston, so you can push it in, to change the pads.

The other is to power them yourself till the plunger is released.

Those are the only options you have, but I would think that unplugging the
    modules beforehand, so they do not engage, should work. Then when you
    are done, start the car back up, apply the brake pedal till it's solid again.
    When you change pads, you will have some travel in the pedal until the
    calipers are equalized. Then, while still running, plug the EPB modules back
    in, turn the car off as normal and check for EPB engagement.

To push the plungers in, you need the brake tool as these are twist type plungers.
    This tool is a clamping system that you turn, and as it turns the plunger end, it
    pushes in as it turns to push the plunger in.

This is why they're expensive to have done in a shop due to the labor involved. I have a Jetta
    with the same type of plunger, but I also have the tools. I do not have the EPB, but still have
    to turn as I push the plungers in.

You can buy the VAG-COM knock-offs on wish.com for no more than $26.00. It will
    take a while to arrive. You don't have many NON VCDS choices here.

Thanks

Ok, just so I'm clear, essentially what your saying is:

Unplugging the electric motor from the back of the brake while the car is still running should keep the EPB from engaging, but even if I do that, I still need a special tool to press the plungers back into the calipers because they twist/screw rather than compress laterally?
    Mine
    The Wife's
    Night Blue Metallic

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jester016 View Post
    Ok, just so I'm clear, essentially what your saying is:

Unplugging the electric motor from the back of the brake while the car is still running should keep the EPB from engaging, but even if I do that, I still need a special tool to press the plungers back into the calipers because they twist/screw rather than compress laterally?
    Unplugging before shutting off WILL keep the EPB from engaging,
    there will be no power to the motor in the modules.

Yes, you still need the brake tool to press/twist the plungers in. I got a set for
    $17.00 on eBay.

Try this first!!
    Hold the parking brake button down when in park, then turn the ignition off, remove key, the
    parking brake may not be applied. Seen this for some other car manufacturers.

Also, is really isn't an issue using the jumper method to retract the EPB...

With the caliper off, pads out, with power applied, if the caliper piston starts to push out, just stop.
    Reverse the wires at the battery, then you should hear the parking brake retract and the piston
    not move. Continue until the caliper piston starts to spin, then stop. Now you can push the piston
    in with the brake tool. After all the brakes have been replaced you pump brake pedal until you have
    a firm pedal again. Run the car, and turn EPB on and off a few times and you should be good to go.
    It is pretty simple, and you won't have to take the motors off the calipers.

Thanks

Ok, so what would this brake tool be called?
    Mine
    The Wife's
    Night Blue Metallic

Thanks

Thanks

Yeah, after a couple searches, I figured out what I needed. I actually went with the 21pc set, cost me $21. Much better than paying the dealership do it twice. I tried holding the brake button in the off position when I turned the car off yesterday, I didn't hear the brake engage, so once the tool arrives, I may be in luck.
    Mine
    The Wife's
    Night Blue Metallic

Thanks

I just have the one I linked to, works just fine, you don't need ALL those plates, yours
    will only need one of them. You won't need the counter clock-wise (ford) tool either,
    just the one I linked to. However, you got what ya goe...

I just ordered the VAG-COM 17.1, will be getting rid of my V14.something
    with V15.something software, $25.00 shipped if you want it. Should
    be by mid march... It's the cheap chinese knock-off, but it works.
    I have a VAG-401 Xtool I keep in the car.

+ Reply to Thread