VW GOLF GTI· Dash Dilema - Finish Installation of the Cabbie Dash in my Mk1 GTI?·GTI OWNERS CLUB FORUM
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Dash Dilema - Finish Installation of the Cabbie Dash in my Mk1 GTI?

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dash Dilema - Finish Installation of the Cabbie Dash in my Mk1 GTI?

From the how to that I linked, he stated that he oiled the Bearing by dribbling oil on the shaft after he disassembled it from the rear.
    To be honest I used a wd40 stray and hooked the end IIRC there are 2 holes in the Fan base that allowed me to get the wd-40 straw on in it and to the bearing.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Member BluGTI has much to be proud of BluGTI's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks Briano,

Then the the fan will remain attached to the shaft!

Question - have you removed the long air intake box (under the rain tray) for the heater/AC Mine had the remnants of a gasket left on it - I am guessing that I need to make one of my own. Thinking I will use the same foam sheets I picked up. Have you done that before?

The previous owner had packed a bunch of some kind of tar like stuff around the box (which had hardened to rock in the AZ heat), apparently to keep it from it leaking water into the passenger compartment or heater box. So my original thought was to silicone the gasket I make to the air box and once dried put a bead of silicone on it before I screwed the box into place. But this prevents it from easily being removed to get the fan out in the future (unless I pull the heater box again). Thoughts on the best way to seal this?

And the link to the fan removal page confirms that the screw closest to the drivers end of the box is inserted up from under the dash (easier to get off than the other way around as mine was installed) and the one in the center closest to the engine inserted from the engine compartment down, That will make it a LOT easier to take apart!

On the deck this weekend - complete the heater box rebuild and clean off the rest of the goop they used to seal the rain leaks!

Its driving weather up here in IL this weekend but my bunny is in too many parts to start much less drive at this point!

Best Regards,

Eric

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

On the www.cabby-info.com site there is a how to rebuild the heater box, and He shows where the screws are. There are 3 screws under the knee bar passenger side that have to be removed, 2 are for the fresh/recirc side and one for the heater cover. The other heater covers are one at the top of the heaterbox (rain tray) and one for of the left side, and it is best gotten with a 18 inch "2" Phillips.

You also have the Motor Harness that is cable tied to the switch/control assembly, and then it is off the drivers side of the airbox.

The gasket material that I used and I haven't had any leaks is the closed cell self sticky foam in rolls. I think I use 1/2 inch or maybe 1/4 inch wide foam.
    It will seal just fine... No other stuff will be needed. The Rain drains and divertor take most of the water and channel it to the drains... A Debris Guard will help as well but stuff can still get in via the hood cracks, but not like if the guard isn't there.

I took a look at my spare fan. There is one hole on the center that you can get a straw through to shoot pb-blaster in, then wd-40. The Fan itself is a Pushed on affair, it looks to be able to be removed with a long Faucet handle remover, or support the fan on a couple of wooden blocks at the edged close to the shaft, and
    you could try to peen it off with a long Punch (I would soak it with PB-Blaster for a bit before trying to remove.... No I didn't try to remove my fan, as I couldn't find my Faucet Puller, I know where it is, but can't get to it as the state of my Garage is a tad messy.....

Yep my brother down state, (near Spfld) said the weather was Beautiful yesterday.

I drove mine to the car wash to clean the belly yesterday, then around a bit. Today there is a Car Show in town I am going to, then I have to run to Chattanooga for Bug-a-Paluza tomorrow... I was thinking of doing the back roads as it is twisty mountain driving....
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6