VW GOLF GTI· Dash Dilema - Finish Installation of the Cabbie Dash in my Mk1 GTI?·GTI OWNERS CLUB FORUM
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Dash Dilema - Finish Installation of the Cabbie Dash in my Mk1 GTI?

Senior Member BluGTI has much to be proud of BluGTI's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dash Dilema - Finish Installation of the Cabbie Dash in my Mk1 GTI?

Hey All,

Good news, picked up the rest of the harness and heater controls (along with the blower motor) from the '89 Cabby I have been picking. So all the colors wiring aligns and hopefully this will uncomplicate things - pictures below!

GTI Brethern - Your assistance is needed! Need to know where each of the T6a and T3 heater harnesses terminate in the GTI heating system! (e.g. thermal switch, micro switch, resistor, light panel, etc.) Anyone have their dash open and able to provide some help?? Throw me a bone people! (in my best Dr. Evil accent) My car is an '84.

Here is new wiring diagram for the '89 heater control...

The MAIN MYSTERY - how to connect the GTI wiring harness to the Cabby heating system!

Thanks everyone!

Best Regards, E.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Now I need a few more details.
    Do you have the Westy Fuse panel (gray) or the Euro Fuse Panel (black).
    Is there an a/c relay in the panel and a fuse for the heater motor and what fuse is it?

We are getting there.... as far as posting to mk1 forum, that is cool, but you would still get ignored, and I would be the one you are dealing with unfortunately.

I also need to know if your a/c relay is in a "ADD-On" socket that is attached to the fuse box.
    Here is what the relays should be numbered and the pin assignments.

Let me know by pm, or by posting into the forum.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Thanks

You Know Its Going To Be a Bad Day When...

You open your car door in the morning and see that someone has gone through your car and stolen stuff including a pocket knife from your Grandfather...

Hey Briano thanks! Got home late from work as well tonite so not sure about the fuse numbers or which relay is which but am including some pictures here until I have more time tomorrow - please let me know what else you need to know. I do not think my fuse box had a cover on it and I am guessing that is where the fuse numbers are?

More tomorrow...got to crash and sleep this day off....ugh!

Fuse Box – Heater Fuse in Lower Left Quadrant

Relays

Thanks

One more

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry SOB's I hate Car thief's, I learned that lesson many a year ago when I had my savings book, and a set of Ray-Bans removed from my MG. They Caught the guy that stole my Savings book, the guy took it to the Bank, and well he walked up to the Teller and tried to withdraw the funds. Well, it was a Relative of mine, and he wasn't the correct ethnic person for my very Irish name but lesson learned, never put in a car what you value or can't replace out of pocket.... like folks who cut vert tops..... Hang them.
    Ok back to the issue.
    I need to have you look for the A/C relay, it should be attached to the sides of the main panel on a add-on slot.
    The fuses look correct as the proper amperage, but the relay will have to be found. I can't make out the VW part numbers, bad camera angle.
    But good news is that you have the Westy (gray) fuse panel.
    So we have to rely on Chris's pages for those.

We are getting there.

We only need to locate the a/c relay (if installed) to make the connections to the Fuse Panel and the sensors.

Thanks

Hey Briano,

Thanks, sucks, and funny story!

Question - am I looking for the AC relay by one of the VW parts numbers you included in your post above? By the PIN numbers/layout (e.g. removing each one and looking at the pins/numbers)? Or do I identify it some other way? And would the AC relay ONLY be found on one of the sides vs. on the main panel?

Looks like another late night at work here so just wanted to pop you a quick note in case I have time when I get home! E.

Thanks

Well there were either attached to a bracket off the Steering shaft, or in the fuse panel as a add on. Some of the early early ones had a 30amp fuse on the top of the relay.

The part numbers of the relays are stamped in white paint usually on the sides with a diagram on it of the switch guts to pins.

Thanks

Not finding the number indicated? Could it be missing from this empty socket?
    But the wires are light gauge and the colors are different.
    l

Here are the other relays from the add on sockets.

Repeated with number on side shown

And just in case here are the other relays on the fuse box...

64D11303EE_zpswvahv6wf.mp4][/URL]

Did I miss something?

Thanks Briano! E

Thanks

Should be your upshift indicator. Chris's diagrams page 92, yes I looked at all the pages for the violet/yellow wire.
    Last edited by briano1234; 06-08-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    Damn you are good. Thanks Briano!
    Explains why it was located near the steering column I guess.
    Think we'd discussed the upshift lite many many pages ago and decided not to connect that on the Cabby instrument cluster. Probably not worth backtracking at this point?

So is my only alternative to find a Westy and trace the wires from the T6a and T3 to what they are connected to?

Or did I just miss the AC relay?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Gracias! E

Thanks

No, I am still digging. But I think on this, we can use a couple of 40A Headlight relays to take care of the a/c relay and turn the fan and compressor on.
    You wouldn't have to do much modding.... A couple of relay sockets that can attach to the fuse panel from a wrecking yard, and it would be "mostly" OEM.

Let me know.
    Shoot if the wrecking yard still has the Cabby, you might be able to get the Relay but the issue is that the relay is on the main fuse panel and not attached to a "Add-on" socket.

Thanks

Damn, I am vexed!

I can see that the AC line holes in the firewall had those cone shaped grommets in them at one time and that the holes are in the front frame rail near the headlight for the AC water catcher (not exactly the technical name ) so I am pretty sure this was an AC car before it was bastardized. But this missing relay thing has me confused!

I can call around the local bone yards to see if I can find a westy to scavenge for the relay holder(s?).

So are you saying that the '89 Cabby would have the elusive AC relay holder on it? If so perhaps I can roll up to the hinterlands again this weekend. (actually is in a guys back yard under one of those cloth temporary garages!)

Thanks again Briano..... E.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluGTI View Post
    Damn, I am vexed!

I can see that the AC line holes in the firewall had those cone shaped grommets in them at one time and that the holes are in the front frame rail near the headlight for the AC water catcher (not exactly the technical name ) so I am pretty sure this was an AC car before it was bastardized. But this missing relay thing has me confused!

I can call around the local bone yards to see if I can find a westy to scavenge for the relay holder(s?).

So are you saying that the '89 Cabby would have the elusive AC relay holder on it? If so perhaps I can roll up to the hinterlands again this weekend. (actually is in a guys back yard under one of those cloth temporary garages!)

Thanks again Briano..... E.
    The 89 Cabby has the relay, but not the 8 pin holder or base. Because the a/c was integrated in to the fuse panel, and not a separate add-on.
    Possible exception is a Early 84-87 with a York compressor, totally different than a sanden.

This is why I suggested that we go the lets wire it route.

Here what I got out of a "yard"

The guts.

If you pull the cover off of it and it looks like this...Don't bother.

Thanks

Hey Briano,

Well no luck finding any late westy Rabbits in my area unfortunately. Have tried Parts place and have an email into CarParts4Sale. Have not been able to find anything online so far.

We have a Bugfest out here this weekend and I am hoping I can find some parts for sale or someone with a late Westy (preferably apart!) to see where my heater harness plugs would have terminated (heater box/contols). And also to find the AC relay and plug.

Hopefully I can get this sorted out so I can actually get the heating system back together and my dash reassembled and my car back on the road this summer!!

In the mean time I'd added the Cabby dash support to my GTI to get the dash properly attached!

Here are the supports before I removed them from the dead Cabby...

Fitting them on the GTI dash

All ready for the dash to be reinstalled...when I get the heater wiring sorted!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for good luck this weekend!! Cheers, E.

Thanks

P.S. While I have been able to find the A/C relay for sale - the socket for it is nowhere to be found so far...E.

Thanks

That is because the Cabriolet had it incorporated into the fuse panel.
    where as the GTI Westy was either an add on, or not. There may be a add-on in a Golf/Cabriolet that is a York, style vrs a Sanden compressor (top mounted).

It would probably be easier to use 2 separate standard relays and wire them into sockets.
    as your GTI, as single add-on sockets are usually on every cabriolet that I have ever seen, including the 30A fuse.

Thanks

Hey Briano,

Work is crazy and haven't had time respond!

Thanks for the info. So while I am at Bugfest this weekend perhaps I can look over any late westy's or GTI's there and see if I can have the owners show me where the AC relay is on their cars - if in-fact they know!

Or maybe I'll find some parts that will reveal the secret?!

If we were to add relays - would it be a problem if there was a relay(s) already in place (cleverly hidden by VW)? Thinking that might make it a good idea for me to try to find out where the GTI carry their AC relays. Thoughts?

Absolutely want to wrap this up as soon as I can - but maybe that perfectionistic part of me is making more complicated that it needs to be trying to use the original set up)!

If you have any guidance on what/where I should be looking at the relay at the show this weekend, let me know! At least I can grab some pictures of what other cars look like.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Eric

Thanks

can only suggest that you look for an aux relay.... VW used then a lot, and will slide right in to the fuse panel.

All we have to do for the relays is to wire them so they perform as they should cut out when you don't want a/c and turn on and enable the gan in the radiator.

I too am away this weekend with no manuals save my cabby.pdf and Chris's saved pages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8