VW GOLF GTI· Dash Dilema - Finish Installation of the Cabbie Dash in my Mk1 GTI?·GTI OWNERS CLUB FORUM
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dash Dilema - Finish Installation of the Cabbie Dash in my Mk1 GTI?

Junior Member BluGTI is a jewel in the rough BluGTI's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dash Dilema - Finish Installation of the Cabbie Dash in my Mk1 GTI?

Thanks Again Brian,
    Found another 5 wires coming out of the same bundle as the instrument cluster wires - one goes to the parking brake light (as you said its on the left side or the dash) and 4 miscellaneous so off to the wiring diagrams!
    Wish me luck! E.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

You don't need Luck, you have the diagrams and besides you know you are talking to the 2nd largest Leprechaun in the world.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Thanks

Doesn't look like my response took...
    Thanks Brian. I found 5 unused wires in the bundle going to the instrument panel. One appears to be for the brake light - which I will have to wire to the brake light switch on the other side of the dash (as you indicated). So looks like I am going to be diving into the wiring diagrams.
    Best Regards, E.

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

No it posted, I re-read it then commented.
    5 unused wires may not be anything, post the colors here and I will assist, but I am not near my Haynes early Rabbit diagrams for another few hours.

Thanks

Hey Brian,

Really trying to learn how to fish - but at each turn I find a new type of fish! Thanks for the coaching.

So here are the results of my investigation of the 5 wires...
    - White/Violet - likely seatbelt light (no longer needed)
    - Gray/Green - likely the parking brake light - need to run this to the light on the left side of the dash (I have the pigtail for this)
    - Yellow - appears to be related to the upshift light
    - Red/Black - one red/black is already connected to the tach so this appears related to upshift as well
    - Black/Green - maybe related to rear wiper in some way? (if I had one it was shaved off the hatch) BUT the clock is spliced into a Black/Green wire farther down on the harness (farther from the source) rather then connected to the "Red/Gray" wire it is supposed to be connected to. Not sure if I can switch the clock to this BK/GR wire instead to clean things up?

Still unclear what to do with the currently not-connected BK/BL (9) cabby plug wire.. I have my oil pressure warning light on the harness connected to the "Low Oil pressure warning .3 bar" on the cabby plug. Seems I can only connect one of them to the cluster. Is this the best one?

Oh yes - is the wide not sticky plastic tape wrapping my wires the factory wrapping? And does the factory use something that looks like friction tape to wrap places where one wire seems to be "split" into 2 or more wires of the same color? Trying to figure out what has been messed with!

Thanks,

Fumbling Fisherman!

Thanks

Oh, and by the way, 2nd Largest Leprechaun? You have a "lucky charm" for this kind of work or VW's? E

Thanks

So here are the results of my investigation of the 5 wires...
    - White/Violet - likely seatbelt light (no longer needed)

Well if you have the Seat belt warning lamp on the Dash to the left of the cluster and below the headlight switch you can use it there or not.

- Gray/Green - likely the parking brake light - need to run this to the light on the left side of the dash (I have the pigtail for this)

it is also the low Brake Pressure indicator so yep from the Master Cylinder. Ties to ground via the parking brake.

- Yellow - appears to be related to the upshift light

NO. LOW pressure .03 bar OIL sender pin t14/11 on cluster.

- Red/Black - one red/black is already connected to the tach so this appears related to upshift as well

If the Tach works then probably correct. Tape it off.

- Black/Green - maybe related to rear wiper in some way? (if I had one it was shaved off the hatch) BUT the clock is spliced into a Black/Green wire farther down on the harness (farther from the source) rather then connected to the "Red/Gray" wire it is supposed to be connected to. Not sure if I can switch the clock to this BK/GR wire instead to clean things up?

Cabbies never had a rear wiper if it isn't hot or if it is hot (12V) tape it off.

Still unclear what to do with the currently not-connected BK/BL (9) cabby plug wire.. I have my oil pressure warning light on the harness connected to the "Low Oil pressure warning .3 bar" on the cabby plug. Seems I can only connect one of them to the cluster. Is this the best one?

That is the High 1.8 bar oil pressure switch in. It is a white sensor that is on top of the oil filter flange, you may not have that. Check the flange (white sender under rubber boot) If you don't have the sender then Tape it off. (it senses low oil pressures at HIGHer RPM's.)

Oh yes - is the wide not sticky plastic tape wrapping my wires the factory wrapping? And does the factory use something that looks like friction tape to wrap places where one wire seems to be "split" into 2 or more wires of the same color? Trying to figure out what has been messed with!

Factory was either Black Vinyl Sheathing, or a Friction Tape, never shiny electric tape. Used usually where wires branched off or could rub.

Oh, and by the way, 2nd Largest Leprechaun? You have a "lucky charm" for this kind of work or VW's?

2nd Largest was caused by my Son Exceeding my 6' height, he is 6'4 3/4". I am 100percent Native American, Never was born anywhere else and my folks were Native born as well, of Mostly probably 3/4 Irish Distraction. St. Patricks day is bigger to me than Christmas.
    The other part is 1st Gen off the boat Dutch..... which is why I like my beer room temp (used to watch my Grandfather poor Beer on to his
    cornflakes from a case of PBR Long necks behind his Kitchen Booth....)
    I don't do Lucky Charms. I do Jamesons, and Bushmills.

Background
    Started repairing Stereos, Radios in 69-1970, Taught my self electronics to do it (tube and solid state).
    Re-wired 1958 Austin Healey Sprite (bug-eye) and 67 Mg Midget in or around 1971.....I was in to British Cars then.
    Rebuilt the engines, transmissions (dad supervised)....Body work, and Paint......Later applied all knowledge to a 72 Rover 3500S V8.
    Spent Teen years in summers working on houses as a GOFER, for a contractor. Then doing Drywall, Plaster.....Concrete...Cabinets...

1975-1980 Spent a few years working for Uncle Sams Confused Group, doing what else Electronic/electrical repairs on AirCraft (first formal training).
    Selected for installation of first Generation GPS units in Helicopters, and fast movers, because some one liked me I was sent on an "Arctic" voyage for 6 months.
    Had to maintain 2 Helo's electrically, and Electronically,,,, as well as all the Mechanical Stuff.....on the back of the WAGB 281.
    ( Bought a Toyota SR5 lift back and drove it from Coast to coast and East coast to Louisiana, Alabama a lot).

1980 late ordered and bought a 81 Rabbit Diesel LS, only had a Haynes to keep it running for 20 years 330K miles when I sold it running for 300 bucks in dec 1999.
    Had other American Cars after during and presently.

2003 got back in to MK1 VW's as I bought my first Gasser, a 1990 Digifant II Cabriolet.
    Did a lot of work on that, as in Header, powersteering, a/c, head, clutch, top, seats..... and it was scheduled to go to paint until...
    I was rear ended by a Jeep, got 5800 for it, so I had it totaled, and driven off. I have since acquired a 89, 92, and 93 Cabriolet.

So I am current on the MK1 general things, know about the Early Westy's, Diesels and Cabriolets know of CIS no first hand knowledge, but understand Digifants, have been reading Blue Prints and Wiring Schematics for over 40 years from 1980-2015 worked for Large Computer Companies doing hardware/software support on large systems..... Old Mainframes didn't have mother boards, they were hard wired from board to board... and you had to know how to read diagrams of the Backplanes,,,and where signals came and went from.
    Got Lucky and was the ATM machine and Reader/Sorter GURU..... which kept me away from home a lot, and made Wife unhappy....So I switched over to
    doing Operating System Software Support Fortran, Cobol, Native (Dos before it had versions up to win10) Unix, SVR4, HPUX, Scounix, linux, as well as AIX and Solaris.
    Remote, and onsite troubleshooter for determining hardware/software issues and where the issue was. Certain Vendors, for Storage and Networking Hated it when I got on the phone. I can remember 2 times, and the words out of their mouth was 1. Dam, we will fix it, even before I started to talk.... 2. I said, here is your problem, here is the fix, you need to Fix it Globally ASAP, and if you don't I will assure you that You and Your Company will be up to your ass in litigation,,, Because well you are dinking with an association of Lawyers computers... To which he said, OK.... because he knew me, and I was his Mentor in a previous job.....

I love fixing stuff, I love to help when I can.... and the How do I do thats that I have written are because there were no photo'ed examples, or how to's on the subject before.....

Lucky, yep sometimes.....

What I drive now,

Just changed the Interior and top last year from all white to Tan.

That is about the 15th top I have installed,, I am pretty good at it.

Yea, I am an old fart that knows what works, and what don't (usually)...... all my how to's are in the older Rabbit section on the DIY pages.
    here is a list.
    http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/s...Links-by-class...
    Last edited by briano1234; Today at 09:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2