VW Rabbit Forum " no start" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: no start

Member wsparks is just really nice wsparks's Avatar
    Thanks

no start

hey guys i have a 84 gas rabbit. was running Monday. Tuesday morning it would not start. even had it plugged in ,was cranking fairly well but had the battery tested and they said it was dead so i got a new one. It was 5 years old. still wouldn't start with the new battery but was cranking real strong. I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake and got it to sputter. Its cold here about 5F so i put it in the garage to let it warm up. still no start just a sputter after a night in the garage. any thoughts? what should be my trouble shooting?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: no start

Go get some HEET, 2 cans and put it in the Tank, then shake it a wee bit by bouncing on the bumper, wait 30 minutes, then give it a go.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

Thanks
    Thanks I did try one bottle of heat. Maybe I need to up the dose.

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Had gas line freeze 13 miles before the exit with snow and ice, and about the same temps....
    I used a railroad flare to warm the tank and lines drove till it froze up then reapply flare.... got to a Gas station truck stop 3 cans of heet at 4 times the cost, and a cup of coffee later I was running down the road........

Thanks
    Shouldn't overnight in the garage get my car going if that's what it was?

Thanks

Depends on how hot your Garage is and how long and how much moisture could be in the gas.

The car sputtering on ether tells me that it may be a fuel atomization issue and that if there is moisture that is frozen in the CIS, then it may take a while for the fuel with HEET to creep all the way there, and you may have to try to crank it a few times.

A diesel when the fuel gel's won't start or run for spit, but the advent of a gallon of regular gas is like a atom bomb, it un-gels rather quickly, and all the way to the ip. I have seen this personally.

While I live in the south, and not subject to the "Extreme" cold you folks up north have, I do have fond memories of it in my youth.....
    I can remember fondly of getting my Midget started and having to "JUMP" my fathers Dodge, and Ford off. I can even remember looking out my window, and could barely distinguish my car from the snow as it was drifted to the top bow.

+ Reply to Thread