Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
9K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  2013Tdi 
#1 ·
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a 2012 VW CC...

The other day, I broke off my shark fin antenna from the roof while backing up. The damage seems minor as it is a clean break, the wire is sticking out of the roof, and no other body damage. (I still have the broken off shark fin, too.)

I figured this would be an easy fix, but I took it to the dealer they told me it would be around $1,400!! Only $100 for a new antenna but 10 hours of labor for the installation!?!? (Apparently they need to remove the windshield, re-wire everything, blah, blah, blah.)

There is no way I'm paying that much to fix this as the only thing affected is satellite radio which I use often, but can live without. I'll just glue it back on to cover the exposed wire if need be.

I called a local repair shop who specializes in German autos to get a second opinion, and was told that they could take a look and possibly fix it without replacing it, or at the very least just reattach it for me. The downside is they obviously can't guarantee anything and can't get me in for another 4 days.

So, I'm left with a decision between:

- Giving up hope it can be fixed and just reattaching the shark fin myself with some epoxy or something...

OR

- Taking it in to the repair shop and keeping my fingers crossed... (I figure this will cost me a few hundred bucks. Not a huge deal, but I'd rather not pay someone a few hundred dollars to just glue a part back on my car, since I can easily do that myself)

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? Can the antenna actually be repaired or should I just save my money and glue the part back on myself?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

See less See more
#2 ·
The headliner has to come out, I don't see the windshield needing to come out.

Without a picture, we can't gauge the damage... If there are wires hanging
out after the break, then the whole thing probably needs replaced, depending
on what kind of reception you want.

The wires go up an attach into the body of the fin. You can epoxy it back
on, but may not be able to get the wires right. They are $40.00 on
ebay, go take a look so you can see how the wire goes. If it is broken,
then you need a new fin. If you can live without radio, then you can epoxy
it back together; MAYBE splice the wire together, but use heat-shrink tubing
to protect the splice.

Universal ones are cheaper, but they're 3M tapped over top of the bolted on piece.

If you can still get decent radio, you can buy a "dummy" one that will
stick on over top of the broken one. The base is still bolted in the roof,
you tore part of it off, right? You didn't rip the entire thing from the roof?

Just check eBay for options.

#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! At this point, I'm at piece with it not being fixed... again the only thing affected is satellite radio, which I can live without.

Here is a picture:

Water Reflection Tree Architecture Concrete

I am now more concerned with how to get the shark fin reattached. I'm guessing some sort of adhesive or epoxy, but I'm not sure what to use. Any suggestions?

Obviously it needs to be strong enough so as to not fall off in a carwash, but not too strong so that it can't be removed without damaging the roof in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.